Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Bobert

Need advice
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:35:40 am »
So I am a new rider and learning on my own and I will probably wait till spring to take test for license. With that being said I have a suzuki gn 125 and it is small but not too bad. I should also say I am 6' and about 220 lbs. ok stop laughing. Anyway is this bike too small to learn on? It needs some work and tires so I do not want to put more money into it if it is just to small. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:52:38 am »
No you can learn on it but would recommend using a 250

adrenaline rushing speed demon. insane? yes!! now Free
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Need advice
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:21:23 pm »
The 125 will teach you the basics just as well as any other small bike. There are benefits to being underpowered with a first bike. If you rally are wanting something larger, there was a link to a cheap 250 Ninja for $1k in the chat box above.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
How much work  does  it need? Youre looking @ $300 or more for tires, then whatever else. Dunno if itd be better to cut your losses w it or try to fix it and learn on. Anything we can help w tho just holler

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »
It is way small. But, it should get the job done. I'm 6'1" 280lbs or so and I still ride my son's XR80 dirt bike on occasion. You should know that having it on a major highway or interstate is not only a bad idea it's illegal too.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Bobert

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:52 pm »
No you can learn on it but would recommend using a 250

I almost had a 250 but the deal fell through

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:43:42 pm »
The 125 will teach you the basics just as well as any other small bike. There are benefits to being underpowered with a first bike. If you rally are wanting something larger, there was a link to a cheap 250 Ninja for $1k in the chat box above.
I'm torn lol

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:44:58 pm »
How much work  does  it need? Youre looking @ $300 or more for tires, then whatever else. Dunno if itd be better to cut your losses w it or try to fix it and learn on. Anything we can help w tho just holler
Needs carb work 2 tires tubes and tank also replacement lights

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »
It is way small. But, it should get the job done. I'm 6'1" 280lbs or so and I still ride my son's XR80 dirt bike on occasion. You should know that having it on a major highway or interstate is not only a bad idea it's illegal too.
Why is it illegal?

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Think its anything under 190cc. Can't be on the free way. U can still run in town

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Bobert

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »
Think its anything under 190cc. Can't be on the free way. U can still run in town

Well if that's true then that's awful cause I've only had it 2 weeks. The guy before had it tagged and said he used to take it to work   I'm confused now. Lol

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline LukeNukeEm

• True Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:40 pm »
Needs carb work 2 tires tubes and tank also replacement lights

Carbs are no big deal, the other stuff tho. Tanks can be pricey, just dents in them or rust issues?  Its a hard decision man. If it was me id try to sell and look for an older bigger bike. You can find 80ish 750s or bigger for less than a grand. Unless you just want to see if you want to ride, have you ever ridden before, or just testing the waters?  And we use to do the wrench session, if you need help and you hsve the garage to do it in may be we can have a winter tech session to help you. I don't want you to think we are the mentality of "bigger is better" get a 1000cc gixxah! Ya know, but the 125 on ur frame will be underpowered, and people will run over you, even if you look like a gorilla on a tricycle.  :happyrider

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »
Why is it illegal?

The interstate has a cc requirement. Back then it was 400cc.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline LukeNukeEm

• True Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »
Just looking through the interwebs, it says any bike is legal AS LONG AS it can meet the speed limit requirements. Looks like the top speed of the 125 is about 60ish, so you legally wouldnt be able to go interstate. I see little 50cc scoots in town and on the shoulder of a 55mph ringing it out going about 43, so apparently TN isnt too strict, just be careful is what we're trying to say.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »
When I started riding I had a Honda CB125s.It would run 65 max and weighed about 140 lbs. That being said it was a good bike to learn on and most folks are pretty intimidated with the interstate when starting plus in my opinion its a quick way to get hurt cause crap crap happens fast so staying off the interstate while learning would be my suggestion.Your bike is legal everywhere else.If you could tell us whats wrong with the tank that would help us advise on the bike but with winter coming up some decent bikes will come up for sale at a decent price.And being somewhat comfortable will help you learn.If your all cramped up and not comfortable you wont enjoy it.Truthfully only you will know if the bike is too small for you.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Bobert

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »
The mechanical issues are needs front and back tires/tubes (they are odd sized rear is a moped tire) the bike is on its 2nd gas tank this one has dents and is rusted a lot inside, also need brakes.
    Other than that I could paint it a nice flat black and it would be better looking :)

Of course I have the craving for a bigger bike not massive but bigger :)
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline LukeNukeEm

• True Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 07:47:45 pm »
ok......well lets ask this first.  (All the questions are "if you don't mind" don't mean to offend ok :) )

What made you buy the lil bike in the first place?  Good price, friend, etc?

Do you have funds to find another bike?

If you tried to sell the bike, could you get 'about' out if it, what you got in it?

You might be able to find a gas tank on ebay, or Morristown cycle salvage.  You should post up some pics for us :)  We ALWAYS love pics :)  You can upload them to photobucket, then copy and paste the IMG link here.

If worse comes to worse, you could "bobber" it out for a diff look, might be able to get a bit more coin for it.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 07:47:59 pm »
As far as the tank goes I think I would look into doing a chemical lining.There are several makers.I think POR15 or something like that is 1 and Kreem is another.That would take car of the rust problems and you could do some sort of rattle can paint.Cost of what you need done is dependent on what you can do yourself or as mentioned above we can help you with.Tires can be had from several sources and a few are even on this forum.If you just want to use this bike to learn on and not keep long term there are cheaper tires on the market.Post the sizes when you can and maybe somebody has something that will work for you.Also i'm told Jethros in Maryville? is a good place to find used tires.Not trying to tell you what to do just throw out some options that may help you out.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Bobert

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
Never offended  8)
I bought this bike because I did not know better, I have never had a bike or rode one before. I thought smaller would be better, It may be just cause I am a beginner but it just feels uncomfortable. If I was to keep it I would definitely change the color, fix the tank (the liquid rust remover is the way I would go) and put some decent tires on it.
As far as funds-at this point no, however I would sell the one I have for what I paid $600 and I am also selling all my guitars, amps, etc and maybe a bang bang to fund the next purchase.  I am committed to learning and riding for many,many years to come.
the tire sizes are rear 3.50-16 and front 2.75-18
BTW I love the idea of the Bobber look

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline LukeNukeEm

• True Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:12 pm »
Thanks bob.......eeeeerrr is it Mr. Ert  :34

A lot of other members have WAY more experience in all this than I do, but its not a bad looking bike, If you can get it all fixed up (without spending a ton) this spring im sure you could sell it to someone who wants to learn just like you do.

The bike is prob uncomfortable because you're too big for it,  Im sure you bottom out the seat, and end up sittin on the seat pan (again no offense, I did the same thing on my ex's 600 savage), and its just a cramped feeling for your tall frame.

Background on you, any mechanical ability?

just a quick search, you're looking at about $100ish for each tire.  Then if you need tubes or not.

Whats the mileage on it?  Looks less than 10k, that's a plus.

Hows the chain look?

SO I guess the first step would be, what do YOU want to do.  Keep it and fix it and learn to ride, or something else.  As you can see, most everyone here says it'll be a bit small for you.  The good thing with a small bike and you a big boy, if it breaks down just put it in your pocket and walk home :)  (I get that a lot as a smart car drive).  But really, The big 4 Jap bikes don't usually break down if routine maintenance is done.

but seriously, either way you decide, we will be here to help you.  Everyone had to start somewhere.  :21

Offline Bobert

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »
Thanks bob.......eeeeerrr is it Mr. Ert  :34

A lot of other members have WAY more experience in all this than I do, but its not a bad looking bike, If you can get it all fixed up (without spending a ton) this spring im sure you could sell it to someone who wants to learn just like you do.

The bike is prob uncomfortable because you're too big for it,  Im sure you bottom out the seat, and end up sittin on the seat pan (again no offense, I did the same thing on my ex's 600 savage), and its just a cramped feeling for your tall frame.

Background on you, any mechanical ability?

just a quick search, you're looking at about $100ish for each tire.  Then if you need tubes or not.

Whats the mileage on it?  Looks less than 10k, that's a plus.

Hows the chain look?

SO I guess the first step would be, what do YOU want to do.  Keep it and fix it and learn to ride, or something else.  As you can see, most everyone here says it'll be a bit small for you.  The good thing with a small bike and you a big boy, if it breaks down just put it in your pocket and walk home :)  (I get that a lot as a smart car drive).  But really, The big 4 Jap bikes don't usually break down if routine maintenance is done.

but seriously, either way you decide, we will be here to help you.  Everyone had to start somewhere.  :21
Thanks,
I have a pretty good mechanical background (cars,motors, etc..not bikes) problem is no garage so I will be doing all my repairs in the drive way and covering it up each night.
I have had to push this bike a few times (keeps fowling plugs) so good thing its small.lol
I really want to keep it and turn it into something better, maybe a little rat in it  :happyrider
Is there a inexpensive place to have tires mounted?
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C