Author Topic: Road Atlanta with Thibby9 write up and videos  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
Road Atlanta with Thibby9 write up and videos
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »
Here are some videos from Road A this weekend.  I had the pleasure to crew chief for thibby9  aka Johnathon Thibodaux.    Hes been a long time friend.  We set  a goal this weekend and acheived that goal on the VERY last lap of the VERY last race of the weekend.  That goal was to turn a 1;39 second lap at road a.   Thats cooking.  And we finished the weekend off with a 4th, 5th 6th and 7th place finishes in the cut throat, meat grinder, toughest class in WERA.   He will do a race report here in this post in the next day or so..  But for now, ride with him...

he will add more videos also..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:15:11 pm by Full Tilt Boogie »

Offline Thibby9

• Put your head down and ride your race.
    • RollHard Racing
Re: Thibby9
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »
     So we actually arrived at the track early on Friday evening and got our pit set up and ready to go racing for Saturday. For the first time ever, we made it through morning tech, new rubber on the bike, suited up, and out on track for the whole session on practice 1. This is the first time in the history of me racing that we were not rushing to get the bike ready, through tech, etc. etc. for first practice and actually making it on track. It just never seems to go as smoothly as it went this weekend.
     First practice (first time on the bike since the crash at roebling in march with new brakes, brake fluid, ignition module, quick shifter, power commander that had been just tuned plus a suspension that I have turned very few laps on), cruise through lap 1 testing brakes and quickshifter. Found out real fast that the quickshifter wasn't working but decided to stay out to turn laps with the limited time. By the end of practice I was cramping from jamming on the shifter to try to get the bike to shift not knowing that the quickshifter was off. Drop was able to find the issue and activate the qs and have me rocking and rolling for practice two. Practice 2 went much better with lap times much closer to the pace I was running last year turning laps in the 1.42's and 1.41s. and the bike felt the strongest it has ever felt thanks to wheeler! Now it was time to relax and go racing.
     Race 1, I had a decent start from the 4th row but didn't gain or lose spots. The race was fairly relaxed, I wanted to tag on with the front group but with my gridding and mediocre start, they disappeared quickly. I rode my race very comfortably until the last lap last turn i thought i was in the clear to look over my shoulder and see Heather Szymanik on my wheel and i was able to hold my position by a hundreth of a second and held onto 6th place!
     Race 2, pretty much the same start same story on the opening lap but this time i was latched on with 4th 5th and 6th place. I followed these guys for the whole race unable to advance in front of any of them. Until the last lap I made the pass into 6th place with my eyes on 5th. I held my position all the way in and out of turn 10 over the hill through 11 to square up turn 12 to get a drive and hope to make a pass for 5th. Only to get stuffed going into 12 by the guy behind me and we both almost ended up in the grass due to his terrible line/late move. I lost a position to him and finished the race in 7th. Needless to say I left Saturday super pissed with the late and what I thought was a stupid move. But I was ready for sunday.
     Race 1 on sunday, gridded on the 3rd row and again got an ok start, but after a red flag on the first lap from an expert rider we were forced to restart. This time I got a good start and I was able to put myself in 6th position after turn one. The racer in front of me was the same one that stood me up in turn 12 last race so I was determined to get around him. It took me a half a lap and I got around him and the guy in front of him to find myself in 4th. By this time the front runners again developed a decent gap and i was unable to real them in but finished the race with a big gap behind me and the next racer. I was very happy with a 4th place finish considering the novice racers in front of me were dicing and turning decent expert lap times. I fastest time this race was a 1.40.029 with every single lap within 3 tenths of each other! My goal was in the 1.39's!
    Race 2, Crew chief was begging for a gear change all weekend but i thought the bike felt good, so I decided to listen and drop another tooth in the rear. I get another good start from 3rd row in the grid to find myself behind 4th place after 1 lap. It turned into a battle every lap in turns 10 and 12. The video clearly shows it was a great race but ultimately had to settle for 5th after a small mistake into turn 1 on the last lap. But after we were packed up, I went down to check times only to find that I hit my ultimate goal and turned a 1.39.7 on the last lap trying to real back in 4th place!
     It was an absolute great weekend with beautiful weather. I was finally able to race a weekend with no scares or oh **** moments for once. It was do to the awesome crew chiefing from Drop aka Tim Price. All I had to worry about was making the bike go fast when it came race time. So I can't thank him enough on helping me reach my goal. I'd also like to thank my gf, brother, sister, and my parents. Without their love and support, none of this would be possible. Hope you guys enjoyed the write up!

BARBER IN TWO WEEKS!!! COME OUT AND HANG WITH US IN THE PITS AND WATCH SOME GREAT RACING!!! Oct 24-27!!

Thanks ETB!!

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
Re: Road Atlanta with Thibby9 write up and videos
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:26:09 pm »
Great write up.  Ill be the first to tell you. A 1:39 is NOT an easy task.  We had a great weekend. We missed one person but that'll soon change.  Thibby is usually as he said arriving late having to work on the bike before tech missing first practice and a conplete rush.  Patti and I always arrived early to get setup.  I'm glad that he decided to this time lol.  I'm telling you all here and now, if you like motorcycles and watching them this barbee is going to be insane.  The gnf is the biggest race of the year at the most beautiful track aeound.  Please come out and join us. You will not regret it.

I will have the honors of the wrench again

Tim

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:42:38 pm »
 :21 Nice write up guys.Glad you had a great weekend!
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:30:47 pm »
DGV  (Dang Good Video)  :happypep :happyrider :21

And write up -- which I just now got around toreading (Oct 17).  :groan
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:42:38 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Thibby9

• RollHard Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »
Thanks guys!!!

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:03 am »
I will be uploading another vid tonight of the last lap stuffing he got

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Cool video. Great job on the 1:39!
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline ellis976

• True Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:16 am »
I will say first I am proud of thib for how far he has come in the little seat time he actually has ,and second if anybody wants to learn proper body position needs to go to a race and watch him ride in person

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:59:36 pm »
Barber is next weekend.. DO NOT MISS IT...............i invite you all out..

and brian 1000% agree..

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Road Atlanta with Thibby9 write up and videos
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:43 pm »
Love the write up! :21 can't wait to see more of this. Glad to ser tim get back in it :wahoo

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Thibby9

• RollHard Racing
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:20:03 pm »
Thanks guys for the feedback! Love to have yall out at Barber next weekend for the WERA GNF. Think we have a good idea for gearing and hopefully I can get up to pace fast since I haven't been there in two yrs:/