Author Topic: MotoGP Phillip Island farce this season  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
MotoGP Phillip Island farce this season
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:14:05 am »
This is an interesting article by Mat Oxley about the screwed up race that kept the current MotoGP leader from getting any points.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/motogp-race/a-grand-farce-at-phillip-island/
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:04:42 am »
That is messed up!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Thibby9

• Put your head down and ride your race.
    • RollHard Racing
Re: MotoGP Phillip Island farce this season
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:47:01 pm »
It's a messed up situation but none of the riders seemed upset with the spontaneous rule change. All other riders followed the rules correctly. It sucks cause I'm a Marquez fan and I'm pulling for him but it was a big mistake from HRC. I thought they did a pretty good job and maintaining the safety of the riders by reducing the laps to 10 on one session for the tires. Plus it made things very interesting with the mandatory pit stop mid race. Sucks for Marquez but rules are rules. BTW I'll look for the picture of Marquez's tire after turning 10 and 3/4 laps.

Offline Thibby9

• RollHard Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »
Here is his tire

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
 :27 Yikes!
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Thibby9

• RollHard Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »
Yea imagine that tire at full lean angle!! They can have it lol.

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:41 pm »
I saw that part of the race. Tires coming apart like that after only one more lap is pure freaking stupidity and lack of testing from the manufacturing company. Really man, these guys have the riders life's in there hands and to see that after only one mire lap extra. More than a little shitty

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Thibby9

• RollHard Racing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
i.e. why they made the mandatory rule to turn no more than 10 full race laps on a set of tires. I agree more testing should have been done but they made the right call by changing the race and race procedure. It was a great, different and exciting race to watch. Plus it makes the title chase very interesting:)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
Thibby I agree after hearing your reasoning.Like having 10 lap shootouts and you knew when the pitstops were coming.I remember napcar having a similar disaster at Indy and if I remember right they just let them run as long as could between pitstops and it was met with similar criticizim.Don't remember if it was tires or the track came apart destroying the tires.Seems it was too late for MotoGP to do anything other than what they did and make the best of it.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.