Author Topic: Opinions on different types of engines?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Spectre

• Owner of the world's most badass vision.
Opinions on different types of engines?
« on: November 24, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »
Hey all, so as some of you know, I had to sell my bike to go to college (1982 Yamaha vision xz550 V-twin, still sporty, 10,000 rpm redline ect.) and I'm looking to get another bike next semester, I've got my eye on my dream bike, an 06 or later yammy R6. HERE'S the question, for those of you who ride I4 or V-twin sport bikes (specifically for those who have ridden both) do you think there is anything I would really miss performance wise going from a similarly sized V-twin to an I4? I really want a 4 cylinder sport bike, but I'm afraid it will be impractical around campus, and Cookeville in general. Is there a noticeable difference in torque down low between, say, an SV and an R6?
I guess what I'm really asking for, are your opinions on what you personally enjoy about each.
Thanks!
 :happyrider
1982 Yamaha vision Zx550.
Check out my horrible camera skillzz!: ;D
http://www.youtube.com/user/airsoftrifleman?feature=mhee

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »
I guarantee you will tell the difference down low. I went from a sv to a fz6 and can definitely say its a completely different world. I wouldn't say its a bad thing,  just different. The i4 likes to run on the top end but cruises just fine down low. But its less punchy down low.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline Spectre

Re: Opinions on different types of engines?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:43 pm »
Thanks for the input midknight, mainly the reason I ask is because my vision only put out 65hp at the crank, and I know these 600's make almost twice that much power, which makes me wonder if the power difference kind of makes the torque difference break even between the two bikes, even though the power bands are in very different places.

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »
Past I4's include CBR600F3, R6, etc.
Past Vtwins SV650
Past V4 VFR800
Current Vtwin Ducati 848 Corse
(lots of singles in there)

Off the bottom? The Vtwin torque is amazing! I can pretty much drop the clutch off a stoplight and roll on it for a clean pull away. I4? Nope. Doubly so Yamaha's that want revs. SV wasn't quite that forgiving but not far off.

Around town? The Vtwin has more flexible torque in the low-to-midrange area but can still pull hard on top (the Duc wakes up at it's upper 3rd and holy hell!). It just requires less shifting to maintain the same pace than the average I4. Not better/worse, just different.

As much as I like the Vtwin and the I4 I would have gotten the Aprilia RSV Factory had I known that Ultimate Toys would go out of business a month after I bought my bike. The only reason I went duc was the local dealer. "Well **** on me" comes to mind... The V4 is the best of both worlds, at least in my opinion and the RSV4 would tear the VFR alive in every category but comfort. ;)

Go with what you want and you will be fine. Just expect every kind of bike, even between competing I4's will ride differently.  IE: Throwing a leg on an R6 then jumping to a 600RR or a GSXR-600 is going to feel different and they will pull in different ways.  Ride what you can afford that makes you happy. :)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:09 am »
Past I4's include CBR600F3, R6, etc.
Past Vtwins SV650
Past V4 VFR800
Current Vtwin Ducati 848 Corse
(lots of singles in there)

Off the bottom? The Vtwin torque is amazing! I can pretty much drop the clutch off a stoplight and roll on it for a clean pull away. I4? Nope. Doubly so Yamaha's that want revs. SV wasn't quite that forgiving but not far off.

Around town? The Vtwin has more flexible torque in the low-to-midrange area but can still pull hard on top (the Duc wakes up at it's upper 3rd and holy hell!). It just requires less shifting to maintain the same pace than the average I4. Not better/worse, just different.

As much as I like the Vtwin and the I4 I would have gotten the Aprilia RSV Factory had I known that Ultimate Toys would go out of business a month after I bought my bike. The only reason I went duc was the local dealer. "Well crap on me" comes to mind... The V4 is the best of both worlds, at least in my opinion and the RSV4 would tear the VFR alive in every category but comfort. ;)

Go with what you want and you will be fine. Just expect every kind of bike, even between competing I4's will ride differently.  IE: Throwing a leg on an R6 then jumping to a 600RR or a GSXR-600 is going to feel different and they will pull in different ways.  Ride what you can afford that makes you happy. :)

+1

V twin or V4 for more low torque, Less shifting, quiet/low revs, power when you want it around town.

If you want a screamer, rip your arms off high rev, hooligan go I4

I love my VFR800 V4, plenty of torque eve4n 2up without letting the world know im coming, compared to my 929rr.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Spectre

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:29:37 am »
Very helpful replies guys, good information. I loved how torquey my Vision was, it would really get up and go, but I think I'm going to go with the I4, just because I think it's time for a change. I don't plan on going WOT too much (ok, maybe once in a while  ;) ) after learning my lesson on the vision, got a NASTY speed wobble at 105mph in top gear- noooooo thank you lol, very unstable at speed.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:19 am »
Hmmm....this isn't as simple as it seems. Sure, V-twins have torque, and inline fours scream at high RPM in most cases. But my 1200 Bandit has massive torque and shines in the middle RPMs.  Two strokes are high RPM engines and lack torque according to most but Suzuki's street two stroke engines of the 1970's were designed to be tourers and were very flexible around town*. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki made two stroke triples of similar displacements and the engines couldn't have felt more different.  I certainly agree that some characteristics are innate...BMW's boxers are inherently well balanced for example.  But I suspect for every engine we can think of that typifies the conventional wisdom we can think of another that flies in the face of it.

My point is that while engine configurations do have certain character traits what the engineers designed the motor to do often has more to do with what we feel than the way it was laid out.  Displacement, bore/stroke ratio and tuning have at least as much to do with an engine's running characteristics as basic layout.

Chris

* In the 1980's Suzuki turned that on it's head with the craziest street two stroke of them all...the Suzuki RG500.  The RG is an anomaly in a lot of ways, including its layout.  It's a square four with two crankshafts geared together with the rear pair of cylinders positioned above the cassette gearbox.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:42:51 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:51 am »
Yea, the rg is crazy!
Another thing to look at is smoothness. I have had about every type of bike. I love how smooth you can be on an i4 vs a lot of vtwins or v4's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:12 am »
I agree with Curtie, while I do like the low end grunt of something like the SV650's v-twin I just can't seem to get smooth with it. My 636 and old GS on the other hand are both I-4's and I don't have any problems with them. Don't get me wrong though, I do like v-twin sport bikes and they are a blast to ride.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »
If we're looking for smooth power delivery with little vibration I would nominate BMW's flying brick K-bikes with their four cylinder engines turned length wise and flopped on the their sides.   When I ride my K100RS it sometimes feels like God's own electric motor under me.  What do you think Ian?  (Ian's put some miles on it too.)
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »
The Beemer is silky smooth for sure. Though it and I don't always see eye to eye....
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Spectre

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 01:50:26 pm »
-Getting some really good feedback here guys, I appreciate it. I think what I'm hearing mostly is "All bikes are different, and have their ups and downs, ride what you want- not what you think you need to" Am I in the ball park? If so, I think I'll start scouring CL.  :32

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »
-Getting some really good feedback here guys, I appreciate it. I think what I'm hearing mostly is "All bikes are different, and have their ups and downs, ride what you want- not what you think you need to" Am I in the ball park? If so, I think I'll start scouring CL.  :32

Sounds about right.     :21
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »
You got it figured out.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 11:29:31 pm »
Riding what you enjoy to ride is the ONLY WAY TO RIDE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
06 Gsx600F Katana........Dubbed Kan-o-Tuna.......Now Dubbed Tuna Salad (totalled)

2011 GSXR 600

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »
Riding what you enjoy to ride is the ONLY WAY TO RIDE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Nailed it!!!!! :like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you