Author Topic: Audi concept bike.  (Read 900 times)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
Re: Audi concept bike.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:05:57 pm »
So now that Audi bought Ducati this is their take on the Panigale? It's pretty sharp but you can definitely tell her origins. :)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:39:32 pm »
Its got a nice look to it.I could never sit in that position but it does look good.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »
I like

sent from that a%@ holes phone
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Audi concept bike - background
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:51:45 am »
The idea of having a new manufacturer, Audi Motorrad, to add to a resurgent European motorcycle industry is intriguing.  It's not impossible as John Bloor's Triumph firm coming back from the dead proves.  We've also seen other firms like MV Agusta and Aprilia prosper and expand.  Having said that, starting from scratch, with no past experience and no dealer infrastructure is an incredible long shot as the repeated attempts to revive Norton and Indian have proved.

Audi has put its toe in the water before, building and testing a 1300cc motorcycle prototype in 1976 that used the engine out of the then current Audi 50 auto.  More recently, we can trace a progression of motorcycle activity under the Audi banner.  Over a year ago and probably predating the purchase of Ducati Audi released design studies of an Audi motorcycle.  The bike didn't exist except as a slightly clumsy photoshopped image but did indicate at least some level of interest on Audi's part.

About six months ago a more serious and involved study emerged showing a concept bike based on Ducati running gear.  The bike was a nonfunctional clay model "blue sky" design whose main purpose may have been to generate some interest in the possibilities of the Audi - Ducati marriage. 

And that brings us to the newly released bike image that Ian shared.  This is no clay model but rather a fully fleshed out design.  Whether it exists other that as a one off design or is a prototype for a production vehicle is harder to say.  But these images show a surprisingly complete bike, right down to the key in the ignition.

The images also show the influence of Ducati.  So, that raises the question of whether the purchase of Ducati was primarily to bring a profitable motorcycle subsidiary under that Audi  banner or to give Audi access to established motorcycle experience and expertise as well as an established dealer infrastructure.  I think the answer to those questions might well be "yes" to all the above.  Another possibility is that the partnership with Audi gives Ducati engineers and designers the chance to build bikes that are distinctly not Ducati's like this V-4 powered  sport bike.  Did this bike start out wearing a Ducati nameplate?

So, although there are plenty of hurdles to be jumped before we can walk into a dealership and choose an Audi sport bike I think that day may be coming.  Only time will tell.

Big thanks to Ian for posting this thread on a fascinating possibility.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:52:41 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 04:00:56 pm »
Chris, very nicely done article that you wrote.

If they have Ducati then they have access to a dealership network. If they can keep them similar but different enough it should work well. After all, car dealerships can do it and multi-brand bike dealerships are the norm. This thing looks very heavily blended between 848/1999 with tweaks for the Audi bodywork but that is hardly a bad thing. After all, the Triumph 675 Daytona and my 848 look very close and are totally different brands/engines, etc.  I like them both and would be happy with either.  If Audi can bring it's emerging R&D to help Ducati in building bikes I'm not going to complain. Look at what they did with Lamborghini. Just please, oh please, do not take the VW/Audi version of 'customer dis-service' as the norm for those who do buy one...

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 02:45:45 pm »
:D Love the look of that bike. I am excited to see what they come up with. I know the head of audi is a huge motorcycle person. thats was one of the things that drove the merger between them and Ducati.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you