Author Topic: I need your Help  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Bobert

I need your Help
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:46:46 pm »
Ok Guys I need your help,
  First as most of you know I am new to Motorcycles and not experienced rider yet (come on spring) I am so called middle aged and no its not a mid-life crisis or anything like that I have always loved Bikes but I use to be a paramedic in Florida and I have seen some awful accidents including loosing 3 of my friends, so I have always been reluctant to own one-now with that said I am not owning a bike for any hidden reason other than I love all types and I am only riding because - I LOVE IT :) I have owned some rat car and trucks and always wanted to have the bike so.. I got a 92 Suzuki GN125E and brought my first bike home-now this bike is in overall good condition 9k miles but has some carb issues,electrical isues, needs new paint and needs new tires-believe it or not its Moped tires I have talked with Ian and tires alone not including mounting is $200, local paint shop wants $300 to paint the tank-WOW Ill do that myself and the mechanical I will also tackle myself-only concern on this bike is its small size.
   Now on to my second bike 1980 Honda CB900C cost me a lot more but I thought was worth it-I was blind when I bought it cause when I got it home it changed to a Beast with issues everywhere. I will do all the work myself and have already been collecting replacement parts, currently not running either electrical issues, now this bike will need to be restored top to bottom-not going for shiny just nice. 28k miles and rough but has potential and is much bigger and boy is it heavy.
   So what do I do? Restore the Suzuki then work my way up to the Honda? keeping in mind no budget so its me doing it all.(that's the keep both cause one is never enough choice)
 Or do I sell the Suzuki and focus on the Honda (that's the logical choice)
 Or sell the Honda and keep the Suzuki ( don't like this option)
I can not decide and I need to get started on something I am going nuts going back and forth staring at them and dreaming of spring (by the way since I am new rider I will take the Motorcycle safety course-where can I get the books?)
    Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: I need your Help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:55 pm »
In the interest of having a road ready bike come the riding season I would sell the Suzuki and put that money towards the Honda.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:01:08 pm »
What Ian said... +1
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:29 pm »
What they ^ said.Or sell both and buy 1 ready to ride bike.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »
Bobert, 

I'd go with the Honda too.  Here's some info to get you started! If you already have all this stuff I apologize for cluttering up your thread with it.  Good luck with your bike. 

Chris

**  There's a forum for your bike.  It covers the early '80s Honda CB750 and CB900C models.  I can't tell how useful it might be or how active as it seems you need to register to access most of the website.  Still, if I had your bike I'd sign up just to see.

Honda DOHC Customs Forum website:  http://www.cb750c.com/

**  The forum did have your factory service manual posted as pdf files.  If I were you I think I'd download them now and store them on a drive.

CB900C Honda Factory Service Manual PDF files here:  http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/CB900C_Manual/

**  For general info on the CB900C model here's a magazine article on the Motorcycle Classics website.

Motorcycle Classics article on the CB900C here: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcylces/honda-cb900c-zmmz13mazbea.aspx#axzz2mdiJz3jS
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:21:03 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Bobert

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:53 pm »
In the interest of having a road ready bike come the riding season I would sell the Suzuki and put that money towards the Honda.
Thanks Ian,
I know your right-just finding it hard to get rid of my first bike..LOL
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:40 pm »
Thanks Deuce and Marc
   I know that's the right move  :)
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:36 pm »
Chris,
   Thanks for all the info :21
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:11 pm »
So should I paint before I sell? Tires?  or as is?
  And what do you think a fair price is for this bike?
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:41:17 am »
I would do like Ian suggested. :21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:17:39 pm »
My opinion is if anything check with someplace like jethros for some used tires and do as little else as possible.The bike is only worth so much and while paint and such will help it sell I don't think you'll see a return on the money invested unless your one of those guys that can make a rattlecan paint job look good then you might go for it.No idea on what its worth.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Bobert

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
Update...since winter has dampened my ability to work on theses bikes (since I do not have a garage) a friend of mine has agreed to let me use a small spot in his garage to work on the bike.
  so after work tomorrow I am moving both bikes to his place  :happypep
I have decided to tune up the Suzuki and put up for sale and focus my efforts after that to building my Honda :21
Thanks everyone for the input...I am so happy to get to work on this bike I cant wait...See there is a Santa Claus :)
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline RandyRocks77

• Vegas
  • Legendary Member
    • Tennessee Sons of Liberty RC

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:47:29 am »
Bob,  my suggestion is like the rest, try to sell the 125, maybe hold off till feb or so (tax returns) and people will be looking for a "beginner" bike for themselves, kids, wives, etc.  You seem pretty mechanical, but have you had a 2nd opinion on the Honda?  I'd hate for you to keep throwing $$$ at it, and it never being "right." 

In a perfect world, you could sell both and get a ready to ride bike. But the world aint perfect, and wheres the fun in that :)  This here is a great group of people that will help and do what we can if you need it.

P.S.  Come to the Christmas party next weekend and meet everyone.  :21

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
I need your Help
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 04:40:40 am »
+1
Luke nailed it. :21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline sk1001

• True Member
Re:
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 08:22:02 pm »
Bi jiU as susxhxh jzn

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Offline sk1001

• True Member
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »
Haha, sorry guys...baylee had some input on the thread...can't leave an almost 3 yr old alone with your phone :)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »
I just figured it was code for what they said. ;D
Marc

Offline Bobert

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:01 pm »
Bob,  my suggestion is like the rest, try to sell the 125, maybe hold off till feb or so (tax returns) and people will be looking for a "beginner" bike for themselves, kids, wives, etc.  You seem pretty mechanical, but have you had a 2nd opinion on the Honda?  I'd hate for you to keep throwing $$$ at it, and it never being "right." 

In a perfect world, you could sell both and get a ready to ride bike. But the world aint perfect, and wheres the fun in that :)  This here is a great group of people that will help and do what we can if you need it.

P.S.  Come to the Christmas party next weekend and meet everyone.  :21
Thanks
 I agree however I am a gluten for stress. Lol way back when I was 15 my dad took apart a car and said he was restoring it. Then when it was all apart he said now you wanna drive then first learn to build it so I did I had more respect for that car than any of my friends who had a car given to them so .... Learn by doing I will keep the honda and tear it down and build it back all by spring hopefully lol
Ps stay tuned for lot of questions

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline Bobert

I need your Help
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »
Bi jiU as susxhxh jzn

I actually understood that lol
It says build it and u can ride.  Lol

1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C

Offline sk1001

• True Member
Re: Re: Re: I need your Help
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:14 am »
I actually understood that lol
It says build it and u can ride.  Lol

And she's already an etb'r, out of all the apps on my phone I find her on this one lol ... good luck btw!!

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 10:09:39 am »
Thanks
 I agree however I am a gluten for stress. Lol way back when I was 15 my dad took apart a car and said he was restoring it. Then when it was all apart he said now you wanna drive then first learn to build it so I did I had more respect for that car than any of my friends who had a car given to them so .... Learn by doing I will keep the honda and tear it down and build it back all by spring hopefully lol

Then there's your answer! Get to it man!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:51 am »
Thanks

I can respect that. As a matter of flack I am doing that with my boys for Christmas. I got them a dirt bike and a quad that they will have to work in to get running to ride it. :n21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Bobert

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »
Then there's your answer! Get to it man!
Yes Sir :21 I will keep you posted
1992 Suzuki GN125E
1980 Honda CB900C