Author Topic: New to Me (Used 2011 Burgman 400 Scooter) - Later Post Leson Learned (Title)  (Read 4868 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
New to me (Used 2011 Burgman 400 with 5240 Miles after my test ride). A few more blemishes than I expected. Had been told there were blemishes from a no kick stand lay down, so no big surprise, just a few more than I expected.  Plan to cover most of those with reflective tape which will be worthwhile (not that I ride at night much).

We (Eric Rode over with me and helped with driving also) left Food City a few minutes before 8AM and back there at 4:20PM. I forgot about the bridge on I-40 likely being backed up coming home and that took us 30 min to go 3.5 miles. East bound was backed up worse.

I should have used 25w from Newport to miss the bridge.

I gave it a decent test ride on main 2 lane Hwy 127) and a couple main 2 lane  backroads with some sweeping curves (maybe 40 miles or so total). I hit around 80 a couple times and hung in the sweepers at 60 or so (45mph roads).  Not sure what top speed is, I would guess in mid 90mph if you have time to get it there.  Not as quick as the Ninja getting to 90 and it is not the ride of the Burgman 650.

You can cruise easily at 70 and it is quick enough off the line to stay with normal traffic (not going to win any drag races). Not as much storage under the seat or in glove boxes as the 650. It sits lower and is about 120 lbs lighter at 470 lbs (I think) and much easier to push around and not as jerky operation as the 650.  

I think it will be a fun ride. Have to see how it does in slow traffic and on steep mountain roads with switchbacks (it is not going to have near the power or quickness of the 650 at low speeds.  

I will ride Ninja to gym in AM and stop to register the Burgman 400.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:22:31 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: New to Me (a Used 2011 Burgman 400 Scooter)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:08 pm »
 :21 Lookin good Paul!
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:16:55 pm »
Give 'em He'll Paul.

Good looking scooter.
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline ratster

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:44:16 pm »
Good lookin scooter.

There is a kid(young man) that has several cool videos on you tube about his x country trips and mods he's done to his 400. Check them out,you might find something that peeks your interest.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:49:56 pm »
Finally pulled the trigger huh? Good looking scoot!
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:57:27 am »
Good find Paul.  I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 400 compared to the  650 on long rides.

Good luck with the new bike.

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 08:03:58 am »
Nice.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:47 am »
Chris::

My long rides are at most 200 to 250 miles (day rides is about all I do). It will take some time before I could make a decent comparison of the two Scooters (400 vs 650). So far on the Burgman 400 (40 mile or so test ride at up to 80 mph and sweeping curves and moderate hills) - it is a fun ride.  :happypep

The 650 would definitely be the best touring Scooter - IO don't have to tour either one to know that. Buit, the 400 is used for long trips (videos on You Tube, etc.)

The 2007 650 Non-EXE Model (No ABS), I can give my opinion after about 74,300 miles of use and abuse since May of 2009 when i bought it used with 1700 miles. Done a share opf gravel / dirt roads (not trails) and msotly narrow backroads, 2 lane county and state roads, and enough interstate to know that you can cruise at 70 actiual speed easily and shoot around folks at 70 or 80 easily. It can easily be a touring bike with lots of extra storage under the seat - two full faced helmets are whatever fit there and mount GIVI type bag on the rear, plus could add soft bags to the side (throw them over the seat or whatever.  

Overall it is a great ride:::

Quick and responsive up to 85mph or so actual, top speeds clocked by guys on BURGMANUSA.COM (great info there) forum say speed check is 105mph, handles good (near sport bike and lots of ground clearance, plently of storage, comfortable seating (can put feet in chair position or extend them on the floor board and some back support forom standard back pad which adjusts fwd/aft for short or long leged folks, can remove it if real long legged). Engine is durable (I changed oil every 4000 or 5000 with Valvoline MC Oil and Fram Filters from Walmart, never did a valve adjustment or spark plug change and it seems to run as good at 74000 miles as the day I got it), get at least 55mpg (and the mileometer is right on with GPS when I compare the two), speedometer is off 7 to 8% range with stock tire (Car Tire bigger diameter brought that to 5%).

Scooter over all is maintenace free (oil changes on engine, clutch, and gear drive Lube (90W) is all I ever did). Another advantage or disadvantage is -- The 650 has a good deal of engine braking (advatage over a a normal scooter than has nearly none), the disadvantage of that is it gets jerky at low speeds since the Transmission and Engine are so responsive. An advantage for me is that a Car Tire on rear gives 20 to 25K vs the OEM tire of 7K aveargae). Front tire seeems to get 18K avearge. I have run a Car Tire for last 30000 miles.

Things I do not like:  It is a bit heavy at near 600 lbs, a bit tall (I am short legged at 28 inch in seam, but can flat foot, just no extra), hard to push around due to the clutch drag (which that has been improeved with the 2013 and 2014 redesigns, and it is abit jerky at slow speeds.  

Only major issues I had were:

Regulator/Rectifier failure that blew evrey light bulb that was on and apparently shorted the 12v input to the ECM ($900 item that I found on E - Bay used for $110). I ALSO REPLACED THE REG ? RECT (bought another SUZUKI BRAND) - SOME REPORTS ON FORUMS THAT SUZUKI REF / RECT ARE NOT GOOD (and should buy after market). A POINT:: I MAY HAVE CAUSED THE FAILURE MYSELF -BATTERY GOT WEAK ON ME, WANTED TO RIDE IT THE NEXT DAY, HAD AN OLD KAWA 800 BATTERY THAT I REPALCED BECAUSE IT WAS 5 YR OLD. I STUCK IT IN THE BURGMAN AND IT SEEMED OK. DID THE RIDE AND GOT ABOUT 120 MILES AND SHE BLEW. Excuse caps - got cap locked and too lazy to retype.  ::)

Lost power to the rear wheel (she now sits in basement waiting for me to decide if can be fixed reasonably or junk it). Lost power to rear wheel on a return home (about 5 miles from home after a 120 mile ride). Sudden loss of power, no warning at all. Not an uncomon thing with these Scooters, at high mileage - generally 50K to 100K . It is complicated machine -- twin 650 cc (I think 635 or something) engine mounted in the tunnel front of the bike like a MC, drievs a CVT the primary pulley (variator) width is controlled by the computer thru a servo motor on top of the CVT, sort of a worm gear connection that varies the width of the pulley to provide the different drive ratios (always in the right gear for the situation and very responsive). It is Maintenace Free for life of the belt (a Car Type CVT Belt). Life  ??? Life of Scooter or CVT, which ever goes first.  :groan. The CVT secondary pulley drives into what they call a transmision (actually a clutch and reducer assembly). The other oil you change is there (13 OZ of motor oil). That clutch is centrifugal operated (rsponds very quickly at around 2000 rpm). So, it is nothing like a conventional Scoter CVT with a v-type belt that needs replaced every 15K or so. BUT, wen she goes, expensive repairs are in order. The CVT Belt requires the whole drive train to come off the frame to get to the CVT (engine to the rear wheel removed as  a unit). Clutch is not as bad, but procedures I ahve seen it is a bit more than a conventional Scooter CVT clutch.

As of now -- one test I did indicates my  CLUTCH ASSEMBLY is bad. If I get it fixed, I will keep it and the 400cc I just bought and sell the NINJA. Use the 650 for rought roads, gravel / dirt as it is a bit beat up anyway and I do not worry ablut dropping it as much.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 02:04:14 pm »
Mighty good looking scoot Paul! I hope you get good service out of this one as well  :n21

Now..... let's go RIDE!!!   :brrr
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 10:21:14 pm »
Thanks to all -- I just hope it does not turn out to be a problem bike (one always worries about a used one, but the last three I bought have been used and turned out good).

I am a little mroe concerned about the Burgman 400 as had some info about CVT Clutch Problems. Also, saw a lot of satisfied folks. So, I went ahead after an extra day or so of evaluating (I had planned to pick it up Xmas Eve day, but told the guy I was reconsidering). Then did it Thursday.

LESSON LEARNED and SOMETHING TO KNOW  (I think this might have been a discussion on here before -- Title Notarizing in TN)

Took chance and rode the Scooter to Court House to register. (that ended up being a no problem as they did not catch me, made it to the gym and home).

Found out can't register because the NC Title was not notarized. I had a Bill of Sale that was notarized (clerk said - we do not need a bill of sale, just a notarized NC Title). (^%*#*^)^&  :groan

I questioned the guy handling the deal when I signed the title as there was a line for notary. Guy said, notarized Bill of Sale that he had provided signed by owner should cover it. Apparently, he did not know TN Law and I did not either.

I now remember another discussion someplace (maybe on ETB Forum some time ago) about this. Too bad I did not remember when I was in NC doing the transfer. Eric felt bad also as he said if he had he seen the NC Title, he would have know (being in insurance business - gets involved in some of that). However, he like me might have figured no matter as TN does not require a notary for such transfers if it is a TN Title or Another State that does not require it.

TN does not require a notary on TN Title transfers, but since NC does require notary - TN will not honor it without NC Title being notarized.   Be Aware.  O) :banghead

I wish we would eliminate all the states and have one big state with the same darn laws everyplace (or at least some laws should be the same). 

PS: I mailed the title back to the guy that handled the deal (it was a consignment bike), Apparently, he can get it notarized and mail it back. (I HOPE).

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
Paul,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the paperwork.  I almost always cross my fingers and hope when walking into the vehicle registration office to register a new vehicle since I've also run into unforeseen hassles at times. 

Thanks a lot for the write up on the 650 Burgman.  Scooters have always been convenient around the town transportation but as your write up shows the big scooters push that envelope out to Interstate cruising and touring.  They work and work pretty darn well as your write up and 70K+ miles on the Big Burgman shows.  But, as well as they work the motorcycle buyers in the US don't look at them as "real" motorcycles and buyer acceptance has been slow in coming.  But, gradually,  both here in Europe and in the US I've been seeing more and more of the big scooters on the road.  With guys like you showing the way I think acceptance will come and we'll be seeing many more scooters.

I was in Japan 2002-2012 and the motorcycling scene in Japan is quite different from the US.  At least half of the bikes on the roads are scooters and the market for the bigger and fancier scooters is an important one for Japanese manufacturers.  Suzuki is trying hard worldwide with the Burgman line to increase market acceptance for scooters.  The Burgman line is very well thought of in Britain for example. Honda has tried in the past as well and now is taking a different tack by designing models that combine traits of both conventional motorcycles and scooters.  The DN-01 of a few years ago was a big try but didn't quite make it so they're trying again with the more motorcycle like NC700 line.  If Honda comes up with the bike that captures both the scooter riders and motorcycle riders in Japan it will be another '69 CB750 game changer kind of moment.  You have to give the Big Red H folks credit for dreaming big and not being afraid to try really new things.

My wife thought the DN-01 was the prettiest bike she had ever seen when we saw it at it's introduction at the Tokyo Motor Show and the ultra low seat height meant that she could put both feet flat on the ground.

The NC700 line is the latest try by Honda.

All models use the same frame and running gear.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:24:57 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Sat on a NC700 a few weeks ago.I liked how it felt so light.Definately will be one to watch in the future.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Just a little update on the Burgman 400 (very limited miles ridden as new to me and no registration yet).

Not much riding yet - test ride of 40 miles or so, and a ride to town and gym to register it in TN. Took a chance to ride it there with no TN registration. Got there and found out TN would not accept the NC Title Transfer because we did not get it Notarized. I had a notarized Bill of Sale. TN did not care about that - wanted the NC Title Notarized because NC requires a Notary on Title Transfers. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have only ridden it about 80 miles total. Seems OK, fun ride some advantages over the 650 and some disadvantages. Not the performance (quick response) of the of the Burgman 650 and not much braking when slowing, but also not as jerky. Seems pretty adequate for my kind of rides. If the mileage (mpg) calculator is correct, not impressed with that (showing 53 mpg and I got 55+mpg  all the time on the Burgman 650). I like the lower seat, more storage, lightness. So far not much to base anything on.

Read about some problems with Clutches on the 400s, but see it should be easier and cheaper to repair. Extra maintenance along the way (belt replacements) that looks like something I can do on my own.

PS: As far as my Broke Down 650 - I plan to take a look at the clutch (hoping I can do that myself with a little help along the way). If I can get it going again - would keep it as my "rough road rider" (has some dings and 73400 miles - so, not too worried about more dings HA!). Sell my NINJA and ride the two Burgman's.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Sounds like overall a good ride.The 650 deal looks more time consuming than hard.I think you have a good plan going.
Marc

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »
I saw you going to the insurance company the other day on it by the court house. You can always spot Paul.lol

sent from that a%@ holes phone
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:44:32 pm »
I saw you going to the insurance company the other day on it by the court house. You can always spot Paul.lol

Yes, Insurance company to get proof of insurance (figured I should at least get that in case I got stopped with no tag or registration which I had just been refused at Clerk's office).  :groan

Womnder where you were at?

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:27 pm »
In the old ford behind you as you left the light at went to the right.

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Great looking scoot Paul :21
The 400 will most likely get worse mpg than the 650 much like a v6 in a full size truck will be worse than a v8 as you will have to give it more throttle to get going than you would the 650.

Chris, I seen the 700 line last year at the ims show. I think they really have a great idea with that platform. Very versatile and carries the weight low to make the bike feel really light. Which in return should make it handle very well. Much like the burgmans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
MPG so far -- This is for only one fill up (1.615 gallon) and measured miles (96) over yesterday and today. Mostly all backroads at 40 to 50 and one test to 85 mph with stop at Walmart Sunday and stop at the PF Gym, Bank near knifeworks, and another Gym in Seymour to sign up for free membership on new Humana Advantage Plan).

The older models (before 2007 got more like 70 mpg I heard). They went to a full 400cc and I think lengthened the bike.

It has a Mile Per Gallon reading on the panel (Saw 59.1 there a couple times, more 57s - but measured gas and miles was near 60).

I usually got 55 mpg or more on the 650.   

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
60 mpg is nothing to sneeze at. That's a lot of trips to town for not much.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES