Author Topic: To Powder Coat or not to?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Striker

• Slow Down, Watch the idiots on 4 wheels
To Powder Coat or not to?
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
I have come to a point where I will have to make a decision on whether to powder coat or chrome dip some parts.  I need to have my Rocker Boxes redone and do not know much about powder coating.  I do know it is a 1/8th of the price of doing the chrome dip.  That is already a huge plus.  IT is baked in, and that is pretty much it.  I have found that they do a sterling silver powder coating which looks incredible.  Can powder coat handle High Temps that these old Ironheads put off?  Has anyone done their heads or engine in powder coating and how has it worked?  Thanks for any help.  To chrome the Rockers it will be about $450.  To powder coat will be about $45.
1963/73  Harley Davidson xlch 1100
High Crane 4 Electronic ignition
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint
Sparky Spark coils and Plug wires

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: To Powder Coat or not to?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »
I don't knoow enough about either to give you a good opinion but just so you know we have a member thats does powder coating LionHeart moto.Heres a link to a thread where he did some wheels on his own bike.I believe he did some parts for Draik's bike to. http://easttnbikers.com/index.php?topic=5450.0  If you have questions about powder coating shoot him an email i'm sure he would answer any you have.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:08:49 pm by Luvmystar »
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:41:25 pm »
Powder coating is claimed to be one of the most durable finishes available. Chrome on the other hand is high maintenance.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:36 am »
My vote is for powder coating. It's very durable like deuce said. Cheaper. And I'm not much of a fan of chrome. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline LionHeart Moto

• LionHeartMoto.com
  • True Member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:24 am »
the issue here is not durability.  the issue here is heat resistance and the color he wants is not available in high temp.  and depending on the part...high tenp powder only lasts upto 1200 degrees farenheit.  another possible route for strength and heat resistance is ceramic coating

sent from my Samsung Note 3
Leather is King..

Offline Striker

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:26:11 am »
The parts I am wanting to do are all the gold stuff.  The Rocker Boxes (Heads).  Someone did them in Gold powder already to cover up chipping chrome.  They didn't blast the old chrome before .they powdered.  Now the gold is starting to flake.  My bike runs an average of 260 degrees and at it's hottest 300 degrees.  I really just want to get as close to a chrome or mirror finish as I can.  Here are some pics.  Everything gold I want to have done and I would like to do my rims as well.  They are spoked.
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Striker

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:30:52 am »
Would Ceramic be a more viable option?  Is it cost effective compared to Chrome Dipping and powder coating?
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Striker

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:12 am »
Well powdercoating is the way to go.  It cost way less than dipping.  Thanks to LionHeart Moto for all the help in figuring out what I need to do.  I will be using this guy for sure.  Great Prices and from what I have seen on the forum here he does great work.  If you have any questions he is the guy to go to.  I am going to have my rims and Rockers done.  I can't wait.  I am sick of looking at this thing all gold.  Has anyone else had anything powdered?  If so please post some pics.   Thanks for all the help!!!!
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:51:03 am »
:21 cool dude
I have had several things powder coated. Generally frame and wheel goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »
If you are on Facebook, you can go look  at TheDraik77, he has a couple pics of his tank and triple that Scott (Lionheart moto) did. They turned out great!

Offline Striker

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »
I'm gonna go check it out.  It seems that powder coating is the rave now.  It is also so much cheaper than the alternatives.  To do my rims, and rockers is gonna cost me about $400 with shipping and all.  I think it will be well spent.  There are some amazing powder coating jobs online. 
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:15 pm »
Flat black chem lustrel from Sherwin Williams.

Durable, heat resistant, low maintenance, economical.

And its flat black.

There is no down side.

What does "riding season" mean?

Offline LionHeart Moto

• LionHeartMoto.com
  • True Member
Re:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »
i hate to disagree about the enamel paint.  it is durable for outside use not motorcycle use...enamel has a horrible history if failing on any automotive use unless done by a professional.

sent from my Samsung Note 3
Leather is King..

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17:11 pm »
For a time in my early metal fab career, I made park equipment. Fire rings, grills, picnic tables. Everything got dipped in chem midterm, I made state park grills, took one home and stuck it in the back yard, stood there better than 15 years. Still had paint on it. Fire rings the same. If you've used any park equipment in seveir or Cherokee you've probably used something I built. I've painted all kinds of stuff over the years, including a good brazillian made shotgun, not recommend, btw. Treaty stuff, tough as nails.
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
Re:
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:12 am »
My frame ,swingarm and front wheel are all powder coated.....rear wheel was painted and cleared.... You can see the diff in pics ..  Powder coat is the way to go...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline Striker

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:12 am »
I have been gearing up to get it done.  I am pretty excited about it.  Ultimately I would like to get it to the point to put it in some vintage bike shows.  I see a lot of 73 iron heads, but not many 63's.  I also have a 85 rebel 250 that I am almost finished with that has been turned drag bike style.  Kind of funny, but it is looking great.  I am going to get some stuff powdered on it as well, after I get the Harley done.  I was on the fence with it until everyone here chimed in and got me in the right direction.  Thank yall again.
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:50 am »
Any updates?
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.