Author Topic: TORQUE STICKS - Use with Impact Wrench  (Read 2311 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
TORQUE STICKS - Use with Impact Wrench
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:42:40 am »
A topic on BurgmanUSA.com dealing wih CVT Belt installation (need for torque on primary and secondary shaft bolts) resulted in a guy sugesting TORQUE STICKS. Anyway, I just thought someone might be interested  ???

http://www.torquestick.com/cart/

I do not know anything about them personally, only what was discussed on the site. As I undersand it, they are different diameters designed to work with an impact wrench (they were talking electrical impact wrenches, may not matter if air or electrical) and react with the wrench impacts to absorb the torque once you get to the designed torque of the STICK (design torque controled by different diameters).

I visualize it as sort of a resonace thing betwen the impact wrench and the Torque Stick.  8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:43:48 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: TORQUE STICKS - Use with Impact Wrench
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:30:21 am »
that's pretty much how they work.  Usually used for installing car tire/rims
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:31 am »
Used those a lot in my tire installer days.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »
yes that is how they work, but you do have to "calibrate" them with the impact your using. basically you start at your impacts lowest setting then check with the torque wrench and see if it made it to the desired setting. if not, set your impact up one notch and try again. once you have found the setting on your impact that gives the correct torque that is the setting you use. Not all impacts are the same and most people don't bother with this procedure.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:00:42 pm »
yes that is how they work, but you do have to "calibrate" them with the impact your using. basically you start at your impacts lowest setting then check with the torque wrench and see if it made it to the desired setting. if not, set your impact up one notch and try again. once you have found the setting on your impact that gives the correct torque that is the setting you use. Not all impacts are the same and most people don't bother with this procedure.

You are correct sir. In fact I've never seen anyone do it...lol
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:40 pm »
Nice to know someone has knowledge about them. I just thought interesting as I had never heard of such.

I can see how they would save time on production line thing (like for someone installing new wheels or new tires and then putting wheels back on). 

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »
i actually own a set, did the calibration myself when i bought them because it was the right thing. Like you have confirmed and I mentioned MOST don't. Of course if your just spinning on wheel nuts its not THAT critical. more important is even torque when your dealing with tapered lugnuts/lugbolts going into tapered holes. The part that MOST miss also is that torque is MUCH MORE critical when dealing with lugnuts that have cupped lock washers on them like the type ford and dodge use on the 1 ton trucks. Then the torque not only has to be even across the lugs but it has to be sufficient to activate the locking of the cupped washers on the nuts.

Paul also if you do decide to grab one for your application you SHOULD know how to use it properly. One hand only on the impact (in the proper grip location) DO NOT touch the torque stick or impact while the impact is in use. That will change the movement that absorbs the hammer hits changing the resulting torque. No hand on the stick when its running (i know it almost seems natural that you want to do this but its wrong, dont touch it) dont use a supporting hand on the bottom/top whatever on the impact as this changes the movement of the impact when the hammer hits the stick resulting again in a change of the resulting torque.

torque sticks can be very accurate when used correct. It is also easy to missuse them giving you a torque other than the one you THINK you are using.

probably all more than Paul really wanted to know LOL
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:54:38 pm by Chris_T »
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:51:34 am »
Thanks Chris. Information is always worhtwhile.

I do not have intention of buying sticks. I have never torqyed anything done at home (only at work) mainly because I never owned a wrench until recent purchase due to concerns on the axle and pulley nuts on the Burgman 400.

So many things affect torque (previous use of nut/bolt, dirt lubrication on bolt, etc. ) not sure we get desired results even with a wrench.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:33:28 pm by PAULRIDES »