Author Topic: I Need a little help please. 73 Ironhead Clutch Question  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Striker

• Slow Down, Watch the idiots on 4 wheels
I Need a little help please. 73 Ironhead Clutch Question
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »
Hey guys, I am having some problems out of my clutch.  I have adjusted the clutch to specs 5 times.  Still does the same thing.  I give it gas up to 1/4 throttle and the bike pulls fine through the gears, a little sluggish.  As I give it more gas to accelerate the engine revs but the bike just quits pulling.  It is the same in every gear.  Does it sound like maybe the clutch steels and discs are stuck together?  Has anyone had this happen?  It is a wet clutch primary.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks. 
1963/73  Harley Davidson xlch 1100
High Crane 4 Electronic ignition
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint
Sparky Spark coils and Plug wires

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Re: I Need a little help please. 73 Ironhead Clutch Question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:54:08 pm »
My cousin had a yamaha xs eleven special that did that. The springs were weak in his. He put a clutch in while he was in there for good measure. Totally different bikes with the same symptoms could possibly be the same problem.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:22:55 am »
Smack it with a hammer a few times.

Seriously, had the same issue with a 74 1000 sportster. Time for a clutch.

Or trade it for a Honda.

One works better than the other.
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:03:37 am »
never been to a hd before , but alot of other stuff . bite :groan the bullet , it needs a clutch . on a hd ,oh boy . clutch is in the wrong place . not knocking hd . but i have took the clutches out other bikes just to check them . 
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:14:02 am »
I don't know if your bike's clutch has the 1974 and later modification of adding six spacers to the clutch springs studs.  On your bike as built and my '76 FXE you could adjust the pressure the clutch springs would have by tightening the clutch spring retaining nuts to give more preload.  But that could create other problems with the clutch plate not being on the same plane as the clutch basket.  On my FXE those springs and nuts were easily accessible through the derby cover.  The 1974 Sporty clutch modification added spacers to the clutch studs to ensure the pressure plate remained aligned with the basket.  Three different lengths of spacers are available to adjust the preload.  The spacers are pretty cheap...less than ten bucks a set.

here's the procedure as quoted on hdforums.com:  ( http://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironhead/237001-73-xlch-clutch-adjustment.html )

Turning the six nuts inward compresses the two coil springs that lie inside the 'Releasing Disc' (outer plate). This puts more pressure on the clutch, thus makes it more resistent to slipping.
 The correct dimension of properly adjusted spring tension is this:
 11/32 inch between the outer face of the releasing disc and the outer face of the outer drive plate.

BUT,
 A much better thing to do is to modify your clutch to be equal to a 1974 or later model.
 The big advantage with that is two things:
 1) The six nuts are tightened down against the (6) sleeves (a.k.a. spacers) you need to make and install.
 2) The 'wobble of the releasing disc is no longer an issue because tighten against the (6) sleeves (spacers) it is automatically lined up in a flat plane.

If your bike is original you could increase the clutch spring preload to see if that gets rid of the clutch slippage.  Also check to see if the cable is properly adjusted per the manual to ensure the clutch is fully released when the lever is out. 

If everything is in adjustment and the clutch still slips then the clutch is worn or contaminated and needs to be replaced.

Here's a diagram of the Sporty clutch set up:  The spacers I referred to are parts 070302, 070303, and 070304

http://www.legendmcs.com/custom-chrome-harley-parts-clutches/clutch-components-sportster-new.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:15:45 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Striker

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:09 am »
Thank yall.  I am going to open up the primary today.  I wanted to ask more knowledgeable people than myself before I open it up and screw something up.  I am going to check the spacing and see if it's even all the way around.  If that's ok I will be pulling the steels and discs to see if they are burnt up.  Checking the springs as well.  I do not have the spacers unfortunately.  I have been debating on putting them in.  I am going to check on making some.  They will just need to slide freely between the clutching's.  I will have to get exact specs to make them.  I think they should be 2 1/4". Once I get it apart I will take some pics.  This sucks right here at great riding temps.  Hopefully it is just out of adjustment.  Thank yall again very much.  Let the fun begin.   
GL1= I do have a couple Honda's.  I love them just as much as well.  I am not that Harley guy.  I can't stand those guy's.  "If it aint a Harley it aint a bike".  What idiots.   
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:59 pm »
I would check the clutch cable adjustment as that can cause the problem you've described. 

As far as the spacers:

1) Each spacer has to have an inside diameter that will slip over the studs. 1/4" ID should work fine.

2) Each spacer has to have an outside diameter that will go through the holes in the steel clutch plates.

3) Each sleeve spacer must be the same length.

Harley offered the sleeves (spacers) in 3 different lengths

Standard length is 1.53"
Middle is 1.490
Short is  1.45"

With a new clutch you'd want to use the standard length.

available in all the lengths on ebay or from aftermarket suppliers such as J&P Cycles for $10-20 USD for a set of 6  (OEM price is $5 each!)

I don't know why the shorter ones cost more but they do.

Good luck with your bike.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:19:34 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Striker

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:33:49 pm »
So I checked the clutch adjustment again.  My dumb xxx.  So yeah I adjusted it 5 times, and every time I was turning the lock nut I was also turning the adjuster screw.   :banghead  It was operator error.  I will be getting the spacers though as that seems to eliminate possible future problems.  Now my generator isn't wanting to charge. lol.  I will be taking that off as I had a few problems out of it last year.  I think that I may have to polarize it again. I am not sure so I am going to pull it apart anyway and see in there.  Any advice on these things?  Thanks for the clutch help by the way again.  I did not want to drop $700 on a new set of Barnett clutches
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:21:42 pm »

GL1= I do have a couple Honda's.  I love them just as much as well.  I am not that Harley guy.  I can't stand those guy's.  "If it aint a Harley it aint a bike".  What idiots.   

I hear ya, I ain't that guy either.

While I rarely miss a chance to poke at a Harley, I don't mean any harm.

Although Harley ownership did cement my adoration of a Honda.

Offline Striker

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:17 pm »
I love my Honda's too.  Got a 85 Rebel 250,  85 Shadow 500,  2001 Sabre 1100 which I never ride.  To new I guess.  69 cb750.  Like I said I love my Honda's.  The Harley was a deal that was to good to be true.  Then it turned into a rebuild, then a full blown custom job that cost way to much money.  Had I known what the parts cost before I traded for it I would have kept the Vulcan 750.  Man I miss that bike, but I also love my Harley now that I have finished it.  Also it is a real peace of American history, and I have too much in it to sale it now.
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline Striker

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:43 am »
Man now I am having a generator problem.  I think something may be grounded.  If there is nothing hooked to the generator it works, reads 13+ volts.  When I hook the wire up to it the voltage starts dropping.  The wire is ran straight to the battery, no breaker or anything.  Would a grounding issue cause this?
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:04 pm »
Sounds like somebody wired it like an old Chevy.

Hook it to the battery and ride to it catches fire.

It makes for a good beer drinking story at least.  :whistle

Offline Striker

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »
Yeah I know I wired a 20 amp fuse in this morning
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes