Author Topic: Getting ready  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
Getting ready
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
Well, the star is up on the jack.....Carb issues of last spring have resurfaced so this time around gonna put some new needles and seats in. Fortunately wasn't as bad as last time but enough to stop a ride and make me break down and fix it. :groan

Guess now is as good of time as any to do the oil change. I had hoped to be able to do the oil filter relocation before I did the next oil change but that isn't gonna happen. Maybe by the end of summer I'll get that done. :beg

Parts will be in Tuesday, so hopefully weather cooperates and I can get her back on the road by that afternoon.

and yes I know she needs a bath.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Re: Getting ready
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »
Um, I looked at that picture for five minutes and did.t see any dirty bike.

Maybe some dust on the tires, but hey they're tires, they get dirty.

Time washing your bike is time you could have been riding gone to waste.

Just sayin'
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:35:45 pm »
My Star is off the jack. Adjusted the valves, new fuel filter, new fuel petcock and AIS removed. I have not synced the carbs yet but will this week. It is running pretty rough and I hope that will sort it out.
Semper Fi

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »
carbs out of sync will def cause some running problems and loss of mpg. Its simple enough to do though.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »
Um, I looked at that picture for five minutes and did.t see any dirty bike.

Maybe some dust on the tires, but hey they're tires, they get dirty.

Time washing your bike is time you could have been riding gone to waste.

Just sayin'

LOL I generally agree, and she usually stays much worse than it is. But I atleast try to start a season with her clean. Mostly just cob webs and storage dust as its been sitting all winter which isn't normal for me but the way it worked out this winter.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:24:01 pm »
Yours is clean compared to mine. ;D
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:32:08 am »
If my bike is clean, it rained. 
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
Chris, just a word on the oil filter relocation kit......

I had one put on the 650 I had, I chased down leak after leak.  :groan   Finally got to quit leaking after several tries. Not sure which kit you are looking at, but the Jardine kit had some problems with the fittings that wouldn't let them seat no matter what you used on them.   :banghead   They finally sent me some different fittings and they were dry after I got them good and tight.
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »
I have the 650 V Star and changing the oil and filter is the easiest thing I have done to it. I see no reason to relocate it.
Semper Fi

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:01:54 pm »
Chris, just a word on the oil filter relocation kit......

I had one put on the 650 I had, I chased down leak after leak.  :groan   Finally got to quit leaking after several tries. Not sure which kit you are looking at, but the Jardine kit had some problems with the fittings that wouldn't let them seat no matter what you used on them.   :banghead   They finally sent me some different fittings and they were dry after I got them good and tight.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking at the Baron Customs kit.

I have the 650 V Star and changing the oil and filter is the easiest thing I have done to it. I see no reason to relocate it.

I don't know about the 650s but the 1100s require that you take the exhaust off to change the cartridge filter. Not that hard just time consuming and annoying.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »
On the 1100 the exhaust has to come off to change the filter.Not a big deal other than just being aggravating by having to do it.Roadhouse didn't require removal but went out of business before I could get a set of there pipes.Mike the lines have to be watched close on several of the ORKs.I've heard of several having issues.Always figured if I went that route I would make a set out of hydraulic hose from day 1.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:44:05 pm »
Don't have to remove anything on the 650. Just a few bolts and you are there. I pull the drain plug and let the oil out while I am changing the filter.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »
Yep that and the airbox design are much better on the 650 than the 1100.
Marc

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:11 pm »
Always figured if I went that route I would make a set out of hydraulic hose from day 1.

Probably not a bad idea, and was my plan if I found issues. Working in industry does have a few advantages :D

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »
That it does.I figured a pipe to JIC adapter in the bases and make the hoses from there.What actually comes with some of the orks isn't much more than fuel line with that fake steel braid cover stuff and people try to put hose clamps on top of the cover to fix the leaks  :groan.
Marc

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 09:10:36 pm »
Synced carbs and back on the road. Took a short ride. Nice day. Next prject, front brake pads.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 09:23:15 pm »
 :21
Marc

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
That it does.I figured a pipe to JIC adapter in the bases and make the hoses from there.What actually comes with some of the orks isn't much more than fuel line with that fake steel braid cover stuff and people try to put hose clamps on top of the cover to fix the leaks  :groan.

JIC would be perfect in this application. And is used in both industry and automotive so should be readily available. BOSCH makes JIC adapters for all thread types so you can easily find the JIC fitting to thread into the blocks and then have JIC hoses made with what ever angle fitting is needed to work.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:10 pm »
Yep and those puppies should never leak.
Marc

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 03:41:47 pm »
Well she's off the jack and running on both cylinders now.

I installed one of the floats a little crooked and got it stuck  :groan then started to chase my own tail so to WHY it was so dogish  :banghead

When I figured out that one of the carbs wasn't fueling, all I could do was fuss at myself then rip it all back apart and fix the issue. :mad

But after getting it back together for the 2nd time today she's got all the power she should have and ISN'T pouring fuel!  :happypep

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 03:46:41 pm »
Chris
Glad you are back on the road.
Darrell
Semper Fi

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 03:58:18 pm »
Chris
Glad you are back on the road.
Darrell

Thanks, I'm glad to be home and able to get the bike back on the road. Was overseas the past 2 weeks.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »
Good work & lesson learned!    :21
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:15 pm »
 :21 Glad you got it going.Now :18
Marc

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 09:16:59 pm »
Thanks, I'm glad to be home and able to get the bike back on the road. Was overseas the past 2 weeks.

Where were you? Military?
Semper Fi

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 05:55:32 am »
Where were you? Military?

No I'm a field service engineer for the Coesia group. In turkey I was helping a customer speed their machine up to full designed production speed. They had some serious set-up issues keeping them for running at full speed.

Then in Barcelona Spain we have another company that's in need of help as they have more work than their engineers can handle. Since business this year is a little slow in the North America & Mexico market (my region) and they have a lot of business in this region this year, I went to visit their facility and look at the machines to evaluate if I can help them. Well I've always heard in industry "if you can run a diaper machine you can run anything". This seems to be a true statement because so far all of our other companies that has asked for my help have had "baby" machines compared to what i'm used to and the company in spain is no exception. When we send a crew of engineers to install a machine (usually 4) they only send 1.

The machines in spain do the plastic pouch/bags that single use items like seasoning mixes comes in, to resealable bags like trail mix, to bigger bags like what powdered laundry soap.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:33 am »
Sounds like fun. Welcome home.
Semper Fi

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 07:03:10 am »
My main attachment is to GDM which is the division that does baby diapers, adult incontinence, and feminine pads. The customer in Turkey was a diaper plant that needed help with their adult machine.

and thanks for the welcome home  :21
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:04:08 am by Chris_T »