Author Topic: Counter Steering Video  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Counter Steering Video
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:21:32 pm »
Here is a good video explaining counter steering

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: Counter Steering Video
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »
nice find..

I keep running into more n more riders who dont understand this concept or think it only applies to the fast people..

This is for EVERY 2 wheeled vehicle, Yes even those slow Harley's
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Diannaleigh

• I like MotorBoats !!!!!
  • True Member
  • Head Biker Mama :P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:49:24 pm »
nice find..

I keep running into more n more riders who dont understand this concept or think it only applies to the fast people..

This is for EVERY 2 wheeled vehicle, Yes even those slow Harley's

When I started out... SOMEONE HERE who I will NOT name... eh ermmm told me only to use it when I have to. LMAO  :24 I know better now ;D
Four wheels move the body.  Two wheels move the soul.  ~Author Unknown

It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »
I hope not. I constantly use this practice. Couldn't imagine doing anything different without wrecking   

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline oldmanjob

• True Member
  • Guzzi lover
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:24 am »
Good video :21 Not counter steering through a left hairpin, cost me a perfectly good 06 Bonneville, and 5 broken ribs. Took a little over a year after the crash to find about counter steering. Now it just comes naturally, so you can teach an old dog new tricks :21

The old dog Bill :3
Rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church bored thinking about my motorcycle

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:00:52 am »
When I started out... SOMEONE HERE who I will NOT name... eh ermmm told me only to use it when I have to. LMAO  :24 I know better now ;D

I didnt tell you that, If your referring to me you totally heard me WRONG..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Mr Meogie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:04:05 am »
The main point here to remember is that "countersteer" only starts the lean.  You or the steering geometry of the bike will still have to steer into the corner to start the turn.  To turn a motorcycle is two steps,
1. start the lean
2. start the turn.

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:25:41 pm »
I had watched a few videos of this practice and i practiced it as much as i could before my get off in nov. i will definately be keeping up that practice when my wheels get back on the pavement.
06 Gsx600F Katana........Dubbed Kan-o-Tuna.......Now Dubbed Tuna Salad (totalled)

2011 GSXR 600

Offline BASSGEEK

• True Member
Re: Re: Counter Steering Video
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
Use to ride a bicycle to work when i was 14. Came in hanndy then when i made that 90 degree turn off the parkway

sent from the late night shift NOTE 2

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
The main point here to remember is that "countersteer" only starts the lean.  You or the steering geometry of the bike will still have to steer into the corner to start the turn.  To turn a motorcycle is two steps,
1. start the lean
2. start the turn.

"Push-Pull"

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:32 pm »
The explanation or visual as far as seeing the front wheel action is good  ;D and the discusion of physics (Forces of Gravity and Cerntrfigul) once in the lean is good  ;D ----- however, I don't think there is an explanation of why the bike starts the lean in the opposite direction (or should I say the direction you are actually wanting to turn). 

I had a better presentation in an advanced MSF Class (by the way, they do not teach that anymore and spend more time just rdiing and discussing the drills). The balancing of forces when leaned over was a part of it (balance of gravity force vs centrifugal force acting on the center of gravity of the mass of the bike and rider) keeps you from falling to the ground or flying off in space.   ::)  Of more interest to me was what gets the lean started in the direction you want to turn. I would say that is not explained in the video (although it is obvious if you know waht causes the lean).   

How the lean starts was of interest to me as I did not understand that. I was trying to apply gyroscopic action of the front wheel which it is a gyro with a spin axis (then you apply a disturbance about an Input Axis of the 'gyro' from your hand pushing on the bars). That does cause some of the force to make the lean in the 'opposite direction or direction you want to turn".

However, the predominate thing that causes the lean is -- you start the turn in the wrong direction (by pushing handle bar wrong direction). That causes the bike to start to turn in that direction which then results in a centrifugal force that makes the bike lean (lean over to the direction you were aiming to turn).

So, the bike turns in the right direction because it is leaned in that direction. Then you are continuously adjusting the force on the bar to keep the two forces (gravity and centrfugal equal) balanced as you negotiate the curve. The adjustment in handle bar force may be a constant for a continuous even curve, or adjustments made continuously for varitation in a curve. 

Fact is -- You don't need to understand it as it just happens (can't steer any other way without wrecking - I reckon).   :groan
But, it does help to be thinking (push right - go right ), (pull left to go right), etc. 

To tell the truth sometimes I think I find myself "pulling with the outside hand " vs "pushing with the inside hand".
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)