Author Topic: Burgman 650 -- CVT Servo Motor (Gear) -- UPDATE (Scooter sold AS IS)  (Read 2830 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
I finally moved things around to be able to park the Burgman 650 in a position where I can get to both sides of it for  some work on it (if I ever find the time or make the time). I did you know take the clutch out and checked the plates -- I don't think it caused the problem.

I had hoped to do something today, WED, after going to the gym in PF. Finished my workout (reduced as still not up to snuff) at about 11AM. Radar showed a cell near our house. So, I went to Harley and watched radar. It was after 1PM before the cell came thru (rained hard about 5 minutes in PF). Roads were wet when I left (dry near home). Anyway, did not get back home until near 2PM.

I did remove some more plastic and took the CVT Servo Motor out (to check the plastic gears). The one on the motor shaft does not look good (picture).  I do not know if the gear on the motor (Replaceable, I think a it has a set screw) is the problem. It would seem one would get some pulling power from the Engine and CVT no matter where the pulley is. I would like to replace it and see - but, I have the clutch out now. Plus, the last time I tried to start the engine it cranked, but did not start (was in Feb or March). It started a week before that. I had put stabilizer in the gas tank and was starting the engine every couple weeks until it did not start.  .  

The plastic gear in the CVT (bigger one that the servo motor shaft drives ) does not look too bad. I can turn it by hand in either direction. Eventually, you reach a stop in both directions (I reckon when the primary pulley reaches fully closed or open position). For info - the servo motor under computer control turns the Plastic gears to set the ratio by opening or closing the primary pulley.

ANYWAY --
My desire is to use a recent seen method of dropping the motor and rest of the drive train (jack under it) from the frame a few inches (just enough to get the CVT cover off). That versus removing the whole drive train (Motor, CVT, Clutch, Rear Wheel) froim the frame.
Not sure I am capable of doing this - but might play around with it.

PS: Then give the whole mess to Curtie - he said he would take it, fix it and ride it to work. Guy is nuts about tearing MCs, ATV's, Anything apart (even if it is working)   :21

Picture 1 - Present state of the plastic removal. I have also disconnected some plugs (wiring) on top of the motor that I think will be necessary to drop the drive train. Will need to also disconnect radiator hoses and I guess remove the exhaust system.

Engine on right, the CVT is lower left just below the frame. The black filter with the wires hanging out in front is where the secondary pulley is located (filter is to let filtered air in for cooling, drawn in by fan like blades on the secondary pulley). Primary pulley is behind the metal BOWL (lack of word) in front of the filter.

So, the case is behind the frame and cannot be removed with out dropping the drive train or removing the drive train. Servo Motor I removed was right above the frame and primary pulley. Somebody been riding in the dirt??

Picture 2 - Servo Motor Shaft (plastic gear is pretty well worn). So, if it is not turning the gear to move the primary pulley width (could be in a high gear - like maybe sixth gear). It would seem to me  that the thing would still drive the rear wheel.

Picture 3 - Servo Motor mounts here (two long bolts that go thru the motor case) and meshes with the gear (fine tooth gear on upper left). The teeth on it do not look too bad.

I am not sure what the other gear does (lower left with bigger teeth). However, it turns when I turn the other gear with my finger. I assume it drives some gear to move the pulley width. As I said before -- you reach a limit in either direction when turning the gears by finger (Assume when the primary pulley is fully open or fully closed).

Picture 4 - A little better photo of the gear teeth - I think OK

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:21:02 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »
I can't believe they use plastic gears! Are you going to try to find metal gears to our back in or replace them with oem?

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Paul if that motor is varying the ratio instead of centrifugal weights it very well could keep it from pulling.At least on the centrifugal ones the belt has no grip at low rpm.I would imagine the servo moves the pulley in the same way.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:05:54 pm »
I can't believe they use plastic gears! Are you going to try to find metal gears to our back in or replace them with oem?

Doubt one can.  

I still think something else inside the CVT.

Even if the servo motor gear is not turning the other gear to adjust the primary pulley -- it would seem to me the Scooter would still pull. Even if iti is sitting in 6th gear -Primary Pulley closed - Belt diameter at it's largest on Primary and smallest on Secondary -- lowest torque). I think it would still pull somewhat.  

I am not sure how far I can go with getting this Frame above the Engine and CVT to be able to get the CVT cover off. procedure is get critical things off (wires, radiator connection, exhaust system, rear shock loose, etc.) and jack Frame up while supporting Motor with another jack.

A guy on Burgmanusa.com did it that way.

Got time to stop by and take a look at it on the way home sometime. Get your opinion.

Thinking I will never get it done (I ride too mcuh and other stuff going on). Probably should just give the whole darn thing to you.  ;D

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
dad blame paul . looks like you got ahold of an over grown watch. over my head .  ???
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Skeeter   --- About as many gears as an overgrown wath.  :lol

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Burgman 650 -- CVT Servo Motor (Gear) -- Not much progress (just thinking)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:20:10 pm »
I guess I never updated status.  Burgman 650 belongs to a proud new owner.  ::)

I gave up trying to get to the CVT (Lazy is one word for it as too much involved).

I put the extra Front Tire I ahd bought for it before it broke down For Sale on Craiglist. Got a call about the tire, but the guy was interested in buying the broke down Burgman 650.

I warned him to check things out first as he is not familiar with a Burgman 650 (it is not just a regular scooter with a broken drive belt). He figures he can work on it --- and bought it that day. I spent a good deal of time showing him waht I know and sent him some links to procedures and info. I wish him good luck.  :happyrider

Sold cheap ($200 including the tire, but it is gone and I am happy).   

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Burgman 650 -- CVT Servo Motor (Gear) -- Not much progress (just thinking)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:52 pm »
Stumbled onto this topic again.

Update again. New Owner got it fixed.

I had asked him to call me over to see it when he got it broke down.  He did not.  :groan

But, he called as he lost teh title and needed to me to go to the court house with him (fortunately, I still had the registration). 

Anyway. on the way to the court hosue we talked about the repair. He said "He separated the drive train vs trying the short way of jacking the frame up a bit. It was not easy getting things a part. Finally, the one large plastic gear that actually positions the Primary Pulley Width had a poiece broke out of it and he thought that piece got into the belt and messed it up. He bought new gears and belt."

Apparently, the belt was not completely broken, but needed replaced. He and his father were amazed at the performance of and ride of the Burgman 650 and he plans to give it to his Father. My guess is doing the work hisself -- probably had less than $1000 in parts.