Author Topic: RIP Jon Couch (TOBC Racing)  (Read 1890 times)

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
RIP Jon Couch (TOBC Racing)
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:03:22 pm »
Jon Couch, owner of TOBC Racing, and his mother were killed in a plane crash this afternoon at VIR.  The track was getting ready to start a CCS race weekend, and apparently, Jon was flying around the track in his T38 Navy trainer. 

Couch was a racer and sponsored/mentored several up and coming racers, including Hayden Gillim, who just won the AMA Supersport championship, last week.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/small-plane-crashes-at-virginia-international-raceway/28157536 - (This story includes a short video of the plane just before the crash)

From Roadracing World
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/team-owner-jon-couch-crashes-plane-at-vir/

RIP, Jon and Frances
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: RIP Jon Couch (TOBC Racing)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:28:51 am »
I'm sorry about the loss of life but the pilot was being a fool.  Illegal low level aerobatics are illegal for a good reason.  That he managed to take his own mother with him just deepens the tragic waste of it.  It's a blessing that he didn't plow into the registration building he was buzzing.

Based on the videos I saw of the mishap aircraft's last few moments it looked as though the pilot lost control during an attempted barrel roll following a low pass over the registration building at the racetrack due to either pilot error or a physiological problem.  It's also possible the mishap aircraft may have lost power as it rolled inverted though no ground observers reported any apparent trouble with the aircraft such as a change in engine sounds.  In any event the aircraft was inverted and in a steep dive when it was lost from view.  It didn't appear as though the pilot was attempting to recover.

It's been a very bad couple of days for T-28's.  Another one went down at a West Virginia airshow last week.  As I said, low level aerobatics are inherently dangerous.  If you make a mistake or there's a problem you're already out of altitude to give time to correct the error.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:43:51 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT