Author Topic: Scares and what you took from them.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Scares and what you took from them.
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:47:05 am »
We all have them from time to time.  That texting driver making a left,  that snake sunbathing in the middle of the apex, etc.  This is mainly to see what scares come up for you, how you handled it and what you took from it.

I'll start with a couple examples from my ride yesterday.  I'd decided against the Hill assuming it'd be a zoo and just banged about on back roads before meeting Kris and her dad for dinner.  My first pucker moment was on a road I'm fairly familiar with as I use it as a longer,  more entertaining way into town.  It has a nice S-curve section and some fast sweepers.  In one of those sweepers,  cooking well in excess of posted limits I hit. .. something. The bars violently shook side to side and I just knew the front was going to tuck. I keep a pretty loose grip anyway so I think that and a slight counter steer kept everything shiny.

I don't know what I hit.  I didn't see anything unusual as I approached or during the turn.  I didn't go back and look.  I can only imagine a heave in the road but I've never seen or hit it before.  I'll go back and look sometime and that's about all I think I can take from that one.  Didn't know the road as well as I thought or somehow missed a hazard in the road.  

Second scare happened on a road I had been down a few times,  though always from the opposite direction,  some time ago.  I was,  once again,  speeding though not by much.  Sight seeing mainly.  Not a great road but it was pretty scenic and then it disappeared to the left.  Hard on the brakes to scrub off at least some speed,  off the front brake to let the suspension settle,  drag the rear brake a bit to bleed off a little more momentum, lean hard and ease on some throttle.  It seemed dramatic but the bike couldn't have cared less.  It stuck and went like I wasn't asking a thing from it.  Realistically,  I probably wasn't.  
Combination of being distracted,  speed and not knowing the road could have made that pretty ugly.  Live and learn.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:39:47 am by IanC »
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:58:54 am »
One time coming from Townsend to pf me and guardian both hit (what I can only assume as a pot hole) mid turn and leaned over fairly good. There's that split sec where you think your gone especially when the front jumps over at what felt like two feet and a guard rail is coming up quickly but luckily I wasn't. Front dropped down and caught traction enough to pull me through the turn. The next few turns were took pretty slow.lol

I'll probably get flamed for it but one on the new bike happened last week I think it was Friday. On my way to work and normally take a scenic route when on the bike for two reasons. One is obvious (full of turns) the other I can't stand the square off my tires. Now currently I'm running slicks. (Here's where I assume the flaming will start) was dry out with a slight chance of rain so I said screw it out comes the bike. While whipping her back and forth through some s curves I started speeding up (naturally I can't go slow Lmao) and had to enter and semi sharp left. It wasn't until about mid corner I realized the road was damp on up. Now I'm at a pretty good lean enough I probably could have had my knee dragging 20' back but wearing jeans it stays tucked in some. first thing that pops in my head is slicks/water this may not end well but knew there was no turning back so I kept the gas on and hoped for the best. Thankfully my Angel is still with me and only had a very little bit of rear tire spin and slide. Bout like me powering out on the hill with craps tires so wasn't to bad. Also got experience slicks in the rain. Cruising they stick just fine. Wouldn't reccomend doing that but I don't care. Lol

Probably would think after all my wrecks that I would have a bunch but don't. The last two crashes I saw it coming. One at cmp it was tuck it or hit the guy and the one on the hill I knew as soon as the rear stepped I wasn't going to save it. Was that fear this could be my last wreck as I saw the bike hit the tree and come back towards me and the rear tire busting me in the chest but before that was more just here we go this sucks I just painted the bike maybe it will be ok. Lol 

The drop on a new tire was too slow and too fast for me to even realize and same with the parking lot and ice experience.

Oh last year when I totalled the first z, huh that one kind of made me mad. I was having a great day so I thought. Come flying through, everything felt great. Bike was dipping and railing like never before felt like I was going to have a really fast run on the hill ( yes I like to time my runs some anyways) then it happened. At first I thought just your typical controlled slide coming out from the apex. Mix of too much lean and throttle especially for a pure and that bike, caught peg and out she went. That slide I was only down for a second before I was leaping towards the bike as if I was an Olympic sprinter. Lmao the whole time I'm thinking you have got to be shitting me and with five turns back passing some guys going slower than grandma and knowing they were about to come up and see that hooligan on the bike went down made it worse. I tried riding that one as i brought extra parts with me from doing some changes the night before to only find out I busted the engine casing.
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:19:09 am »
One scare on my way home a couple years ago. Pissed off from some moron keeping on trying to race me down Chapman in a civic.(get a clue buddy) turned down my road and floored it. Turn to the right is one of those it gets sharper half way thorugh. I ended up far left of opposing lane and 2" from road drop off and guardrail and a 30' drop with trees. I even started to fixate right before that moment after realizing I was going to fast for the turn.( was still real new to riding at the time) something clicked I guess from watching all the rider help videos and what to and what not to do in those moments I made my self look down the road barely skimming by. Instant calm down from being Pissed. Haha had a few miles left to think about being that dumb. Now I obviously didn't learn my lesson as I did something very similar a year ago right past the stadium after and argument with some family and went to blow off steam. Yeah always seems to be a Damn guard rail there. Same thought went through my head. Really moron! You had to push it that much. Why? Slowed down paid attention more and tore up some rubber for a couple hrs and had no more oh **** moments for the day.
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Scares and what you took from them.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:16:24 am »
First off, thanks to Ian for a very good post on an important subject.  Rider development, becoming a better rider, is primarily a function of a thoughtful and reflective review of your riding.  The rider who stops learning or thinks they know it all is asking for trouble.  So is the one who is blind to his faults. Think of that reflective process as a personal "after action review" of the days events.  And, it only works if you try to be as honest as possible.  I'm reminded of one old commander who used to start the post-exercise after action meetings with, "I made a lot of mistakes today....so did you." and then opening the floor to the discussion of just what those mistakes were.

So, good for you, Ian, for bringing this up...I'm proud of you.

For myself, as Ian's post suggests, any sort of "oh scheiße!" moment is a cause to start asking what happened.  Usually, the answer comes back that something happened that I wasn't expecting and it showed me a hole in my riding technique.

I'll give you one quick example:

This happened in '90 or '91 riding near Trier in Germany on my RG500.  I was riding with a good friend on a Honda 750 cruiser.  It was a nice sunny afternoon riding a good two lane road through pine forests.  I had been just cruising a little over the speed limit (100 kph or 62 mph) and on one short straight stretch Harry suddenly came by me with a good head of steam going.  I was easily able to catch him but by then we were out of straightaway and entering a curvy bit.  I bided my time impatiently but was eager to show him just how fast the Gamma could accelerate.  When another very short straight opened up I nailed it and went by the Honda at about 130 kph and picking up speed really quickly as the Gamma got into its powerband with a vengeance.  But, surprise, surprise, surprise as Gomer would say.  What I hadn't seen until getting around Harry was the road crested and then went into a downhill right hander that lead into a tighter left as the road wound its way down the hill.   I was going in way too hot and had to make a quick decision...hit the brakes hard or try to make the turn.  I opted for brakes and stood the bike up and stood the Gamma on its nose.  The bike scrubbed off speed but not as quickly as usual since we were on a downhill slope.  So, as the turn tightened up the bike went wide and crossed into the oncoming lane leaving me all too aware of the big Mercedes sedan coming up the hill right towards me.  Fortunately, the Mercedes driver saw me coming and hit the brakes which gave me the room to finish braking and get back into my lane.  He was shaking his fist at me as he went by but that was nothing compared to the cussing out I was giving myself.  Jeez!  If I had crashed there would have been plenty of blood and guts at the scene but no brains.

Lessons learned:

Almost too many to count!  First off, where was my judgment?  I didn't need to pass Harry and certainly didn't need to pass him where I tried to.  I had no idea that turn was there.  Idiot!  Secondly, I didn't realize the effect that downhill slope would have on my braking.  Ignorant!  Thirdly, if I could have trail braked a little of the speed off and then trusted my bike and tyres I almost certainly could have made that turn but I didn't even try.  Clumsy oaf!

I was a pretty humble guy when we made it to the gasthaus for a beer.  Harry blew the incident off with nothing more than a quick comment about me really blowing that turn but I knew how badly I had goofed and how serious it could have been.  It still bothers me thinking about it 25 years later.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:54:16 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline BudLong

• True Member
Re: Scares and what you took from them.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:29:20 am »
I'm still a fairly new rider.  i think it was my second week riding to work i was making my last left turn of a major road and i had not come to a complete stop so i was still in second gear and i was hitting a gap in the on-coming traffic.  well, i stalled it going into my turn.  either i wasn't moving as fast as i thought or i wasn't giving it enough throttle.  i managed to hit the starter and get out of the road before the cars got to me (but i'm sure they did a little bit of slowing down).  my lesson on that one was to be more aware of the speed i actually have going and which gear i'm in going into slow speed turns.

last week i got into a left had turn in my church parking lot that i hit a little too fast (dragged some peg).  got my attention and brought me back to "i have to pay attention ALL THE TIME!!"