Author Topic: Burgman 400 Front Tire VERY UNEVEN WEAR. Replaced at 19,900 miles  (Read 1037 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
This tire change went easier than any others I have done.  Size 120 / 80 / 14 front tire on the Burgman 400 Scooter. Installed a SHINKO same size - $45.88 Total. 

I have had good luck with KENDA on the NINJA. Keith likes his SHINKOs on his Guzzi. There is not a KENDA in that size, so figured I would try SHINKO since I am OK with the KENDA.

I did a 12 mile break in ride with lots of swerves across the lanes and some curves (not full leans, but using it a bit) and did 80 mph a couple times  (indicated 80 - would be about 74 actual).  All seems OK. 

Tread was getting thin on the OEM Bridgestone at the 19,900 miles. Might have done another 1000 miles, but I decided to replace it as the tread wear was so uneven.  The ride and handling was OK, but you could feel the tire bumpy at low speeds.   

Uneven wear (some call scalloping, I think) is not uncommon as far as I am concerned, but this one is the worse I have seen.

Maybe an underlying problem ???  Anybody have a KNOWLEDGABLE opinion ???
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Re: Burgman 400 Front Tire VERY UNEVEN WEAR. Replaced at 19,900 miles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »
Can't complain about 19,900 miles on a tire. The new one looks smaller.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Burgman 400 Front Tire VERY UNEVEN WEAR. Replaced at 19,900 miles
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:17:15 am »
Can't complain about 19,900 miles on a tire. The new one looks smaller.

FORUM (BurgmanUSA) guys indicate around 20,000 is normal (front tire). Rear is around 6,000 (solved that with a Car Tire - now have 14,000 on rear Car Tire and a good deal to go - estimate 20,000 or more). Some folks (FORUM) say some mileages that are hard to believe for Front and Rear (can't imagine how they would get the mileage they say eevn if they putt putt along at 30 MPH).

Front Tire::: No one complaining about all the scalloping (Cupping) on front tire. Makes me wonder if there is some reason for mine doing it ???  Wait and see how the new one does. Most on FORUM DO NOT use SHINKO. I may be the first to try that on a BURGMAN 400. p

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:08:33 am »
This alot of times is a common tell tell sign that the forks need serviced. Most of the time just a fluid change will correct the problem.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:10:19 am »
This alot of times is a common tell tell sign that the forks need serviced. Most of the time just a fluid change will correct the problem.

Thanks --- see how it goes next tire. Lot of plastic to get to forks on this thing.