Author Topic: Video Cameras (ION, AEE, Go Pro) -- Eric has me interested  (Read 1249 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Video Cameras (ION, AEE, Go Pro) -- Eric has me interested
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »
After using his ION Speed Pro on last ride (Oct 26, 27, 28 Camp/Ride in Harrison Bay), and looking at a video he sent comparing a GoPro to a AEE, I found a video comparing GoPro Hero 3 Black to ION Air Pro.

ION makes two files - one is high definition and way too many MBytes for E Mail send, the other file is low Def for say E Mailing and a lot less MBytes.  The low def shows up as small screen *4 x 5) and if you expand it - it gets blurry. High Def is very clear on large screen.  Web site http://usa.ioncamera.com/ion/iON-Compare.html

Anyway -- here is a comparison of ION and GoPro I found.

Eric also sent info on a AEE Camera that compares to Go-Pro.
From Eric:
This is the other one that I have. Love the wireless remote and 1/4 the cost of a Go Pro
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEE-MagiCam-SD22W-8MP-1080i-Sports-Action-Camera-with-Remote-Control-Mounting-/301327096873?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item46287e9c29

This is a good video comparing a Go Pro Vs the AEE

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Willie

Re: Video Cameras (ION, AEE, Go Pro) -- Eric has me interested
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:32:09 pm »
You might also want to look into cams made by Drift. Their Ghost series is pretty impressive. I have their HD 1080P and like it alot. Especially like the wireless remote. My only complaint so far is with the audio aspect of it. The internal mic doesn't cut it when used as a helmet cam because of the wind noise. An external mic is, IMHO opinion, priced excessively high (approx. $30 plus $20 shipping IIRC). I've been experimenting with an external mic I bought new off ebay for about $5 but haven't been totally satisfied yet. None the less, I like the picture quality and cost which is less than GoPro.
Just my .02 worth in an attempt to help. :)
Willie
I used to think that common sense was just uncommon. Now, I think it should be considered a super power.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:22:02 am »
My only complaint so far is with the audio aspect of it. The internal mic doesn't cut it when used as a helmet cam because of the wind noise.

My experience with the GoPro ( any of them, from the HERO, HERO2 and now the HERO 3+ Black ) is that the internal microphone isn't all that great when mounted on a helmet. LOTS of wind noise or other racket. Even worse when you have it mounted in the waterproof case, EVERYTHING is muffled.  :groan

One of the things I've always liked about the GoPro is the aspect ratio. It enables me to capture a wider angle than most cameras....

I just bought myself a HERO 3+ Black and it's supposed to have better quality audio ( we shall see! )......
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »
The AEE Eric had has a remote control. The AEE is very small camera -- would be hard to use in your hand while riding as i do (point and shoot). I am not crazy about the wide distorted pictures the Ion or AEE take.  For the money -- I would probably go with the AEE or ION.

I decided I am not really interested in Ride Videos that much (ride videos get boring unless something really exciting). Can take videos with nearly any camera (Even my cheap Canon 1400 -- like about $70 after coupons and sale price).

So, I am not in the market.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)