Author Topic: Dyna Plug -- Tire Repair (Anyone ever used? & What you think?)  (Read 1286 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Dyna Plug -- Tire Repair (Anyone ever used? & What you think?)
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
http://www.dynaplug.com/buy.html

I carry a Stop & Go Plug Kit (Can't say I am overly impresed with that) and now carry the String Type kit also (might add we did get Jackie's leak stopped WITH THE STRING Type Kit good enought to make it from Cherokee to his home when the Stop & Go would not work).

This Dyna Plug advertisement says it is great, kind of like the stop & Go advertisement. Looks like you might have to install a number of tehm to work on a decent size nail hole.  ???

Just worndering if anyone has used and has an experience to report ???  If, no experience -- give an opinion anyway.  :o

What about the Slime you put in after you find a nail or leak ???  Anybody have expereince with that ???

I do a lot of riding alone these days (guess most folks don't like my rides) and hate to get stranded by a flat tire.  :groan  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:47:30 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Dyna Plug -- Tire Repair (Anyone ever used? & What you think?)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
Paul,

Shameful confession time:  I have used the plugs on a motorcycle tubeless tire and they worked well enough that I never did get around to changing the tire until it wore out.  I know the tyre manufacturers all say a damaged tyre must be replaced as soon as possible but the one I plugged after a roofing nail got it never leaked so much as a pound of air after being plugged by the side of the road.  The only problem I had was the little co2 inflaters didn't do a very good job and I had to limp along with an underinflated tyre after putting the plug in until I could get to the nearest gas station and air the tyre up to normal pressure.  I guess I can't complain though, I finished my ride without walking anywhere.

NOTE:  Plugs work in the tread of the tyre but if there's a cut in the sidewall it really is game over for that tyre.

I've changed tyres that had the slime stuff inside and it was a mess to clean off the rim.  I personally won't use the slime for just that reason.

So, yeah, carry a plug kit and something to inflate the tyre with and ride on without worrying too much about a flat keeping you stranded.

Just my .02 and probably not worth that...

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:26:26 pm »
I have a dynaplug kit in my saddlebags. Never had to use it. Glad to hear it works well.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »
Chris,

You did not indicate if you were using a Dyna Plug Kit or some other method ???

I did get one tire (Car Tire) on the Suzuki Buirgman 650 with the Stop & Go (took three attempts and used some cement on the last attempt). That was fixed in my basemet and not out on the road. I ran that tire another 5K Miles and worreid about it all the time, never did leak. Anyway, I changed it before it wore out as worried too much.

I also plugged a MC Tire on the NINJA (rear) with Stop & Go (took a couple of attempts) and ran it for some miles. Came home one day and the plugged tire was down, I did not realize it was down some until I got home. I had been over in NC on some very curvy roads - lucky it did not go flat or cause me other problems (crash) on the curves.

The Dyna Plugs looks so small (they say add more - seems shaky).

Main idea with any plug is yto jsut get it home -- beyond that it is a judgement call as to how well you think the plug will hold and whether or not it is worth the risk to save some dollars by getting extra miles out of the tire.

It sure is hard to throw a nearly new tire away, probbaly best to take it off and patch from the inside.

As you say, it depends on the hole (how big the hole is, the angle nail went in, and of course the location -- if up near or on the sidewall FORGET IT). 

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
Can't really help on the plugs since most of my experience there is with mower tires and a few car tires.never tried the fancy plugs and never had luck with the small string jobs but the big red heavy duty string jobs have served well in those tires.I hear good things about products like Ride on and amerseal but those go in before you have a leak and must be used in the proper amounts.Problem there is you may never know you have something in the tire.I have heard good things about the mushroom style plugs in bikes.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:36 am »
Can't really help on the plugs since most of my experience there is with mower tires and a few car tires.never tried the fancy plugs and never had luck with the small string jobs but the big red heavy duty string jobs have served well in those tires.I hear good things about products like Ride on and amerseal but those go in before you have a leak and must be used in the proper amounts.Problem there is you may never know you have something in the tire.I have heard good things about the mushroom style plugs in bikes.

Mushrooms are the Stop & Go Kit (look tehm up on Interent) -- Can't say I am turned on by them. But, maybe with enough tries get you home. Get lucky might get some more miles out of the tire with out taking it off to patch it correctly. (not recommended, but I did it twice)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »
Yep the video I saw on how to do it made it look a bit difficult for roadside repairs IMO.I can see where they are probably better in the long run as a more permanent repair.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »
I saw a video on the Dyna Plug which made it look easy. That is why I bought it.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »
I was talking about the mushrooms.The Dyna looks much less complicated.
Marc