Author Topic: Willie's Water Buffalo  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Willie

Willie's Water Buffalo
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:55:29 pm »
Hey Guys,
 I thought I'd post a pic of my latest, oldest and longest project.  This is my GT750 that I bought back in the late 70's and still have. It's been 10 yrs since it was last on the road. I thought I'd dust it off and make it roadworthy again.  Wish  me luck.
Willie
I used to think that common sense was just uncommon. Now, I think it should be considered a super power.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Willie's Water Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:30:18 pm »
Looks fantastic!
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »
Nice!  :21
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:27:11 pm »
Wow!!! Good luck Willie. That thing looks really clean.
Semper Fi

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
What a nice Kettle!

There's your mid 70's cafe racer right there!  And I love the name on the tank.

Well done Willie!

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Willie

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:04 pm »
Thanks guys. Very observant of you, Chris, to notice the name. The story behind that was that I always referred to the bike as Suzy Q (being an old CCR fan) but wanted the lettering to look as normal as possible. It wasn't until I had placed the sticker on the right side, w/o rearranging the letters that I remembered what my original plan was. It was too late at that point to pull the sticker off so I just cut the sticker for the other side before applying it and added some thick stripe above the U.
You can imagine all the things I've done to the bike over the last 3 decades. The most recent mods being to install the SV calipers clamping CBR rotors and straighten up the rat's nest of wires under the side cover. Man, do I ever love the sound of chambers when it comes on the pipe!
Here's a picture of the other side.
Willie
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:05:23 pm by Willie »
I used to think that common sense was just uncommon. Now, I think it should be considered a super power.

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:19:53 am »
i wish i had my kamakasee mach 3 early 70s model 500 again . i would try to take you on. back then people on harleys , 650 bsas & 650 triumps & 750/4 hondas  would laugh at the 2 cyl sound ,i didn't have the chambers, just stock pipes . i would tell them "what's behind me is not important " & that is where every bike on the road was at the time , behind me . i didn;t run into a water buff till the 90s when a friend showed up with a barn find. by then i was afraid to get on it. 
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:20:46 am »
Thanks guys. Very observant of you, Chris, to notice the name. The story behind that was that I always referred to the bike as Suzy Q (being an old CCR fan) but wanted the lettering to look as normal as possible. It wasn't until I had placed the sticker on the right side, w/o rearranging the letters that I remembered what my original plan was. It was too late at that point to pull the sticker off so I just cut the sticker for the other side before applying it and added some thick stripe above the U.
You can imagine all the things I've done to the bike over the last 3 decades. The most recent mods being to install the SV calipers clamping CBR rotors and straighten up the rat's nest of wires under the side cover. Man, do I ever love the sound of chambers when it comes on the pipe!
Here's a picture of the other side.
Willie

Willie,

Seeing your bike makes me want to get serious about getting my Gamma back on the road.  You're right, nothing beats a two stroke's wasp wail rush to revs.

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Willie

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:58:10 am »
Willie,

Seeing your bike makes me want to get serious about getting my Gamma back on the road.  You're right, nothing beats a two stroke's wasp wail rush to revs.

Chris

That would be awesome! I've been lucky enough to ride 2 Gammas. One belonged to the infamous Lance, when he lived in CA and the other one was for sale. I passed because the crank bearings sounded like a coffee can full of marbles. The seller assured me that was normal but I didn't want to risk it.
I think I told you that I wanted a Gamma so bad that my Buffalo's tag in CA was RGWANAB. I'd get that tag here but nobody would understand. Those were the days.

Willie

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 02:21:54 am »
OK Willie, the GS is a beauty, but now I'm just plain old jealous ......
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline BudLong

• True Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:50:02 am »
 :D  both of em are gorgeous bikes.  you fellas are blessed to have had (and still have willie) these fantastic toys

Offline Willie

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:02 am »
Thanks guys. I'm really glad I held on to the Buffalo all these years. Hard to believe I've had it for about 35 yrs. Even harder to believe is that it has less than 13k when, in reality, it should have more than the 59k that my 1100E has under its wheels.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who regrets selling at least one of the bikes they've had over the years. Several come to mind, the first being an original peacock grey 1970 H1 Kawasaki 500.