Author Topic: triumph Bonneville Scrambler mods  (Read 2908 times)

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
triumph Bonneville Scrambler mods
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
figured i've been doing so many mods to my Triumph it needed its own thread.

I started off with a 2013 Triumph Scrambler that I bought new a year ago as of November. While it is a very nice bike it does have some shortcomings when stock namely bad suspension, heavy sewing machine sounding exhaust, terrible mapping causing throttle issues and an abundance of excess pork.

When i bought the bike i removed the AI and drilled the baffles the next day. It remained in this configuration with the exception of some exhaust wrap to combat the excessive heat from the exhaust. I believe this issue was partially due to the lean tune from the factory.

I ended up putting 1500 miles on it this way and was actually considering selling it since my GS gets all the miles.

Since I had some time off from riding due to my less than graceful way of walking out my front door resulted in a broken leg i decided i might as well improve some of the bikes issues.

I started by removing the mufflers and replacing them with a set of Baffled Empi exhaust tips from a VW bug. The O.D. on the VW tips is a perfect fit on the scrambler and even uses the stock gaskets and clamps.

After this I added a set of Tecbike shocks.

Next up  was to remove the passenger pegs and sprocket cover and replace it with a lightweight billet cover.

At the same time i also added a handlebar crossbar to cut down on the flex of the higher bars.

The fun part was using TUNEECU to download a new map. I havent been able to ride it yet but it runs much better at idle and has better throttle response.

This weekend i will be taking the stock round tailight and plastic signals off and replacing them with lucas style aluminum bodied pieces.  These arent as light as the stock pieces but are definitely sturdier.

First picture shows the stock bike.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:06:21 pm by LuckyPuck »
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
Re: triumph Bonneville Scrambler mods
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:25:56 am »
I also picked up one of these helmets (Biltwell Gringo)
but mine has the half smoke shield that shows the chinbar better. Once i receive it it will get some pinstriping work done on it by a friend of mine.
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »
Very nice.
Semper Fi

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 04:10:34 am »
but mine has the half smoke shield that shows the chinbar better. Once i receive it it will get some pinstriping work done on it by a friend of mine.

Looks like a NASA helmet...I like it.  :21
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:55:33 am »

Under the visor it looks like an early Bell Star.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:55:02 am »
There are a few things that I don't like about my Shadow. The exhaust is too loud and a few other things. I was looking for an exact match stock exhaust without much luck. I think that I will start looking around for other parts that I may be able to make work. You have motivated me to step outside the box.
Semper Fi

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:49 am »
Under the visor it looks like an early Bell Star.

Either a Bell or Buco I'm sure was the inspiration.    Bell makes the Bullit which is probably closer to the old Star but they really missed the mark with a $400 price tag...
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:20:46 pm »
And she'd back ready for the road About 40# lighter.

BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:57 pm »
Tell me more about the shocks! 
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 08:25:43 pm »
I got them from TEC BIKE. Not the best but worlds better than the factory ones. They had decent reviews on the Triumph forums. For about $150 it was well worth it,  i dont ride it enough to justify OHLINS or even Hagon but these do the job, now my BMW has Ohlins but I ride that 10x as much...

All the mods its a TOTALLY different bike Thats a blast to ride.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:27:48 pm by LuckyPuck »
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 11:42:53 pm »
They look like the RFY's on my bike.  If they are the same (most of the Chinese products come from a limited number of factories), Check the N2 pressure and the oil.  The oil you can probably only cycle the suspension and listen for air bleed sounds.  The good news is that they are really decent if rebuilt...and filled with oil properly.  N2 pressure should be around 75 psi.

Here is a thread I posted on how to rebuild them, on a vintage performance forum.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/tips-tricks/24204-rebuilding-rfy-cheap-shocks.html#post313752
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:01 am »
They are similar to the RFY's, some people have compared them directly and there are some differences outside and in the internals.  They do say that quality control and assembly that these are a step up from the RFY's. I was going to go for the RFY's but these weren't much more and the reviews I could find were better.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:05:36 am by LuckyPuck »
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline LuckyPuck

• True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 12:41:20 pm »
Finally got to put some miles on the scrambler this weekend.

Its a bit loud..lol though dogs dont bark and chase it they just look confused.

It's a COMPLETELY different bike now, seriously its Jeky'll and Hyde.  It really reminds me of the 640 Duke I had just without the lean angles.   It'll pull power wheelies now and is much better at jumping railroad tracks and drifting corners, in general hooligan behavior.

From sewing machine to teabag sucking Harley slayer..

BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07