Author Topic: MC Oil Filter (saw in a magazine regarding Harleys, but think for others also)  (Read 1102 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Saw an article in a MC Magazine (talking mostly about Harleys) about an Oil Filter from K&P Engineering www.kandpengineering.com called a Stainless Steel Micronic Filter.

Let you look up details on their web site if you are interested.

Might not be interested for the price ($149 Machine Finish & $223 for Polished Diamond Cut).

They say not so pricey when you consider you may never have to buy another filter (clean element with any degreaser or soap and water).

Plus, I say, maybe not so pricey when one considers all the other pricey stuff Harley folks add to their machines. (to make 'em run or look pretty) :-) 

They say It offers up to 7 times oil flow of paper filters (up to may mean 1 time more - HA!, just joking). It uses a medical grade 304 stainless micronic filter cloth to protect against engine damage and the finned filter case acts as a oil cooler.

PS: Thought I would send info -- I am personally not interested.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Too much!!!!

:groan
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Too much!!!!

:groan

Yes - Maybe if you kept bike near 100K Miles (changing filter every 4K would be 25 filters at say $6 = $150 or at $9 would be $225).

One comment in article said -- a guy that also had a different exhaust sytem (Harley) dropped oil Temperature 30F. Needed on harley's as they get over heated. Might be worth it by saving engine on a Harley or a ridden hard bike. 

Anyway, I buy FRAM Filters at WALMART (I forget - around $6 or $7) and change it and oil ($3.78 Valvoline MC Oil at Walmart) anywhere from 4k to 5K miles (Maybe 3K as minimum) and don't usually put over 90K on a bike.

So, I do all right with FRAM and Valvoline MC Oil at Walmart. Never had an engine failure yet or much oil consumption - Should be at least 320K miles by now as I had 312K last time I calculated.   

Offline BudLong

• True Member
I like the idea.  but yeah, the price point is WAAAY outta my wallet's range.  maybe some day though. 

I like the idea of not adding more used oil filters to the local land fill.  I like the aspect of having an oil filter that actually cools the oil.  And if the flow is improved at all, that's a good thing.  As long as it flows at least as much as normal, the other two 'improvements' would be worth the long term investment (in my opinion).  maybe they'll start making these things for the automotive world.  Nah, that would cut somebody's profits.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Budlong --- I think they have automotive ones. Check the web site.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:17:15 pm »
In general more flow means less filtration so that's not necessarily a good thing.  I also don't really like the idea of washable filters.  If water can move the debris around so can oil.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Maybe a blanket statement or Paper Filters you are familiar with.  This is something different as I understand, it filters smaller particles and cleans easily.

I think a one layer membrane of some sort of metal material (as I remember - I would have to go back and read again). It is different, not a paper filter.

But, I don't know any scientific inforamtion about it (details of material used).     

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Maybe a blanket statement or Paper Filters you are familiar with.  This is something different as I understand, it filters smaller particles and cleans easily.

I think a one layer membrane of some sort of metal material (as I remember - I would have to go back and read again). It is different, not a paper filter.

But, I don't know any scientific inforamtion about it (details of material used).     

If you are ever curious about the efficiency of an oil or oil filter odds are you will find information here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/. It's a site full of people who do tests on that sort of thing and apparently have way too much time on their hands. It's pretty informative although it doesn't take long to get lost in the data.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R