Author Topic: Rider Down (PAULRIDES) - Not Serious (I don't think, just sore) &What Not To Do  (Read 1733 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
You laid your bike down yesterday?! What happened?
Julie

I AM NOT SURE what happened, but here is my analysis (I sent a friend just now that asked). Mainly because of MY Dumb Dumb in not turning back when I saw road getting worse. However, I could have made it thru that bad area to the area where I planned to turn around. I know that, because I finally did just that after getting the Scooter up and went on to the dry area to turn around and then rode back thru the same area. No Problem.

Seeing what we saw where we were still on the flat sunny part, I had no thought  that we could make it up to the falls as that road gets more steep and is more shaded before the falls. I just thought might get further along the flat part river as it was beautiful. Anyway, I had decided to turn back at the dry area I could see ahead of me.

I don't know what I did (crap happens fast), but I believe I tried going from left car tracks over the center pile (maybe 2 to 4 inches high and foot wide in center of lane) to right car tracks. Don't know why I did that because the tire track I was in was the best one (guess I just figured no problem to ride thru it).  Anyway, that was when I dumped it. I was going slow - maybe 10mph or maybe less.

AND, glad I wear all the protection I wear - Baseball catcher guards that saved my knee. Chaps were skinned up also which may have saved a little road rash (the chaps and the baseball catcher guards). I wear dirt bike armor (plastic stuff that I laced spine guard padding from back of old MC Jackets into the dirt bike armor) - so, that all covers my chest, ribs, back, and shoulders. Then My MC Jacket has built in padding in the shoulders, elbows, and forearm. Plus, I had lot of layer on (winter day was 35F when we started). Of course I wear a full face Helmet (ALL THE TIME - but it does not have a mark on it).

I was only sore in right upper leg after it happened (I had keys and pocket knife in my jean pocket and the soreness is about where the stuff was in my pocket). Pants were torn about where the keys were and all that was under the chaps - so I probably slid a little bit on that part of the leg).

By the time I got home and still today - I am a little sore (not bad, but feel it when I move the wrong way) in my right lower front ribs, shoulder as well as the leg.

Anyway, I don't think any serious stuff (no ribs broke, no shoulder tears), just have to wait thru it. I rode the NINJA today.

Scooter on Bald River River Falls Rd -- we (Ken and I) were checking to se if we could get to the falls. Half way figured it would be not passable at some point and we would turn back.

PICTURES:
First and Second Picture: Cherohala OK to Bald River Falls Rd (two pictures).

Third Picture: Falls Rd OK also (to start). Thought we MIGHT GET LUCKY and get to the falls. WRONG

Fourth Picture: A  mile or so we came to this (slush ahead in middle - it was like 42F by then)

Fifth Picture (after the fact): Then the bad part where I thought I would ride thru and turn around or if looked OK go ahead  bit further. I did not get a picture of that area going into it. I dumped it, got it back up and rode rest of the way thru it to a dry spot to turn back and get with Ken. Ken had stopped and came to help me, but I had the scooter up when he got there and was OK. So, he went back and turned around and waited.    So, picture is as I was riding back to Ken over the south end of the bad area (not bad there, it was bit deeper in center where I tried to cross the center and went down. (Picture is a bit blurry as I had camera round my neck when I went down and likely got some moisture on the lens). You can see the road surface a little (pretty well covered with the car track on right side more clear and was where I was riding going the other way until I Dumb Dumb decided to cross the center to the other car track which was worse and the center part was a bit higher say 2 to 4 inches and maybe a bit more frozen). That is when I went down (it was well behind me on this picture) . You can also see Ken (Yellow Goldwing way down on right)) waiting on me. He had sense enough not to follow me up there.  :-)

Scooter Pictures: 
Not much damage (lower plastic panel would fix most of serious damage - upper part is jsut surface scratches).  I probably will not do much except patch work but patch unless I find a buy on the lower plastic (like on E Bay). I just ride and adventure ride at that - so, don't worry about looks like most people do. I will wear the thing out anyway and it will not be worth much by the time I get miles on it.

Lower panel most damaged.

Surface scratches on upper panel. 

Mirror minor scratches - Lucky (barely moved it out of normal position). 

Rear Panel has some black (smudge, I think as not scratched). I have not tried to clean it up. Muffler sticks out there - but, no damage. I think my leg might have held the rear off the ground. However, I was not pinned under. I was flat on the ground, just pulled leg out and stood up and stood the Scooter up. It's wheels were on the elevated center section and as Ii stood it up it slid over to the Left Car Track (left then was right in the above picture). I was able to get my foot over to set the kickstand and get on and ride off. LUCKY

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:33:53 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Next time try to lay it on the other side so they match.  :banghead

Glad youre okay.
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Next time try to lay it on the other side so they match.  :banghead

Glad youre okay.

:lol  Also Funny because the other side had some damage (very minor) when I bought it. Previous Owner had left kickstand up and it fell over.

That is why that decorative tape is on there. I put it on to hide some scratches on other side and matched the tape on this side. 

Offline BudLong

• True Member
glad you're alright.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Scary, scary, scary. I don't ride when it looks like that. Glad you are OK.

:what
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
So far so good. I still have a bit of soreness (ribs, knee, shoulder is worst -- IT IS NOT BAD and I have been working out at gym, etc.).

I think all will be OK. I have had some concern that the shoulder could have something torn and get worse. Howeevr, I have full motion and no real bad shooting pain or anything, pretty sure it will all be OK.

Old folks take a long time to heal even from minor damage (hate to think about anything more serious).

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:48:01 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Just saw this. Glad you are OK.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Just saw this. Glad you are OK.

You answered before --- but maybe you  saw part about being OK.  Anyway, Thanks.

By the way - The road surface (well the track I was in was OK) was not that bad. It was the "dumb dumb" decision to move across the hump in the middle to the other tack that Did Me In.

Front wheels (or for that matter back wheels) on a two wheeler with street tires do not go at a shallow angle up a slope beside the tire.  :groan Now I know that for sure.  :banghead  ::) ???

All OK now - just an infrequent, occasional twinge in shoulder.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:47:33 pm by PAULRIDES »