Author Topic: ? over charging issue ??  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
? over charging issue ??
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:50:39 am »
Sunday  the 929rr wouldn't crank after about a 20 minute ride, push started and rode back to the house.

immediately noticed battery acid pouring from under seat. Removed battery, cleaned the acid off the bike.   
Battery didn't feel hot but was showing 16.5 VOLTS.
put battery on a gravel pile away from housae just to be safe, Checked voltage yesterday showing 15.9 V

Today put battery from VFR in 929.
Before install 16 volts
929 running showed 18.7 V

These numbers seem awful high to me, gonna check voltage with VFR running then take both batteries to a friend to verify .
Maybe my old voltmeter is off.
Note I have no issues with VFR, Took a ride to Two Wheels Only resort sunday after 929rr fiasco, VFR ran great..

Any body got some insight on what may have caused the 929 battery to puke itself.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: ? over charging issue ??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:49:29 am »
18.7V when engine running -- sounds high to me. I would think that is the problem (regulator).

You know heck of a lot more about MCs than me, but mine doesn't show anywhere near 18.7V when charging. More like 14v or so.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:50:04 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:46 am »
18.7V when engine running -- sounds high to me. I would think that is the problem (regulator).

You know heck of a lot more about MCs than me, but mine don't show anywhere near 18.7V when charging. More like 14v or so.

You're right Paul, those numbers are really high.  But, because the battery from a known good source also read high my suspicion is that Sam's meter is reading about 4 volts high.

To check the 929's charging system you'd need to have a fully charged battery in the bike and then measure the voltage across the terminals with the bike running.  The old rule of thumb was that you should have 13.8 to 14.5 volts but modern bikes often now charge slightly higher because sealed batteries need a little more charging voltage, between 14.0 and 14.8.  But if you really have almost 19vdc across the battery terminals that battery will be cooked in short order.

The real mystery here is how the battery overflowed without overheating.  If it was overcharging then it should have been hot to the touch and that would have explained why it overflowed. But Sam specified that the battery wasn't over heated and if his meter is reading about 4 volts high then the charging voltage is at the high end of normal so right now I'm at a loss to explain what happened.  What are the fluid levels in the suspect battery?  Could it have been over serviced?  Might the case be cracked?

BTW: I know Sam said he'd cleaned the acid off his bike but in my experience you need to clean it repeatedly, rather like cleaning a rifle after using corrosive ammo requires cleaning the gun several times over the week after shooting.  Just once never seems to get the job done. So, I think the situation calls for lots of baking soda and water to neutralize and dilute the acid and have at it.  Old Beemers and their rusty battery boxes taught me that.

Sam,

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:53:51 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
I agree,  sounds like a faulty meter. I can't think of any other valid reason a cool battery would loose acid other than a case that either split at a seam or cracked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
update
Battery tested atadvance tested good, Meter compared to a friends is indeed 4v off.

Battery put on a 10a charger with zero issue.  Next trip home ill take bike out and see if it does it again..  Battery still sitting on my work bench for now totally disconnected..

I suspect several possibilities.

Sealed battery, Maybe case is split, didn't see any signs of this and it never leaked while handling it the next day.

Reg.Rect intermittent issue,  We will find out for sure.  I don't just throw parts at things, I wanna know for sure what the issue is before hand.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:09 pm »
well after giv ing the battery a full charge then letting it sit on my bench for a few weeks I put it back in the bike and it works fine so I started investigating further...

No one is allowed to laugh......

I said no one...........

I have a tendency to store water and other drinks under the passenger seat area when I ride, plus a few other things.

I said no laughing.    I'm sure you can see where this is going...

I found a nearly empty Dr Pepper bottle in there.   

When I squeezed it you could hear a very faint hiss.

Boy did I feel stupid... :34

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:23 pm »
 :happypep Cool you got fixed  :happypep You sir aree a master mechanic  :worthy
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:45 am »
Nice one dork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 03:27:57 pm »
Next time -- try Pepsie.  :banghead

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »
Lesson learned here..   Don't jump to worse case scenario immediately.    And don't shake up your soda..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »
Reminds me of a ride in the Texas hill country near Austin in '81 or '82 with friends from the road racing club.  We were bombing along having fun riding in a "spirited" manner when one fellas bike suddenly loses power.  Checking it by the side of the road the bike would idle OK but the most he could get out of it was 15-20 mph at very low RPM.  Bike had spark, had gas in the carbs, enough compression to blow his thumb off the spark plug hole and no obvious leaks, noises or smells. We fooled around with it for quite a while then decided to start back for Austin at all of 17 mph.   After about an hour of that we decided to stop at a gas station for something cold to drink and to top off the gas. The rider of the disabled bike opens his seat to get a rag he kept under there and sees that it's missing. He was looking under the seat a bit closer to see if he could figure out where the darn thing had gone when he noticed a bit of the rag visible in the intake to the airbox.  Turned out he would usually just throw the rag under the seat any old way and this time it got sucked into the engine airbox choking off its air supply at anything above idle RPM.

Yes, he got razzed about that rag for a while.  As a matter of fact, before our next ride I gave him a new rag with a nice long bright red "Remove Before Flight" streamer from an RF-4 attached.  I guess you can never tell about objects stuffed under seats.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:05:55 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:54 am »
OK  Nothing under the seat  from now on.  :banghead

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:52 am »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:07 am »
  :34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.