Author Topic: Wild Honda NM4Vultus  (Read 773 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Wild Honda NM4Vultus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:51 am »
Pretty cool and it looks like Honda is taking another crack at the scooter/motorcycle hybrid concept like they did with the DN-01 of about ten years ago. 

Honda DN-01

To put this in context, it's important to note that half the bikes in Japan are scooters.  That's what makes this hybrid of both sides of the two wheeled world so interesting and potentially lucrative for a Japanese manufacturer.  The reasoning is that the bike that attracts both sorts of riders has the potential to sell like hotcakes...er...okonomiyaki I mean.  So, Honda keeps trying with it's considerable engineering, styling and marketing skills to invent a two wheeler for everyone.  Looking at this one and considering where it's being introduced makes me think they've shifted the target audience.  They know that trying to convert most current bikers into feet first scooter riders or most scooterists into big engine performance motorcyclists wouldn't work.  They've already tried that with the previous DN-01 and that didn't go anywhere even though the DN-01 worked pretty well.  So, now the plan seems to be to attract pro-Japanese urban hipsters who don't have any preexisting two wheeled prejudices.

I wish them luck and note that Honda has pulled this particular trick off before.  Honda got it's big start in the US by going after the non-motorcycling youth market with small bikes unlike the big conventional bikes of the early 60s.  Maybe, that sort of lightning can strike twice.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:40:17 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
Re: Wild Honda NM4Vultus
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
I like it especially in color red.  Might be interesting to play with.