Author Topic: Spare parts/tools  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Spare parts/tools
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:32:28 pm »
What if anything do you carry with you?
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Re: Spare parts/tools
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:27 pm »
Usually 3 or 4 leatherman tools, i know, 2 is sufficient

But you never need just a pair of pliers or a screwdriver

Its always a pair if pliers AND a screwdriver

And you never know which hand will be full

A socket selection (notice i did not say "set")

Bailing wire (hillbilly)

Tape of some flavor (okay, duct tape, yeah, hillbilly)

And usually a couple odd dollars in cash tucked in a pocket or saddle bag for emergency fuel funds

And whatever random crao i have in a pocket thats left over from work. . . .
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:44:12 am »
i carry all i can ,but whatever i need will be in the other car or tryke.  :groan
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:52:44 am »
A small toolkit (very small on the Daytona) and a credit card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
Rain gear, sun glasses, spare ammo for my pistol, motorcycle jumper cables, leatherman, tool kit, tire plug kit with CO2 cartridge kit to inflate tires and USB connector that connects to my battery with the quick detach pigtail for the battery charger. Probably a few other little things bouncing around in my saddlebags that I can't think of at the moment.  All that is in one saddlebag that I keep locked and the other is left empty for my jacket if I get too warm or my pistol if I go in someplace it is not allowed. Also, occasionally carry a gallon of milk or loaf of bread home in that saddlebag.

:n21
Semper Fi

Online Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »
Rain pants,fuses,test light,tire plugs,and a small tool kit.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:42:05 pm »
I carry rain gear,
A couple of multi tools,
Tire gauge,
Metric Allen wrenches,
Various adapters for my battery tap,
A couple of maps,
GPS (in case I get too lost),
Factory tool kit including the shock preload tool,
And a few random bits and pieces.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 09:53:01 pm »
Can't name it all Scooter has lot of room  :)  Could not do a ride without storage. :banghead

CAMERA of Course.  :o
Miscellaneous tools - sockets, wrenches, vice grip, pliars, such as that.
Jumper Cables (small set).
Tire repair & 12V Compressor.
Tape (Duct, Electrical).
Extra pieces of rope to tie stuff on bike (never know what I will haul home on back seat - fertilizer,         microwave, air rifle I bought at Walmart, 22 rifle that I bought at Dick's).
GPS routed for the ride and as Deuce says in case I get lost.
Snack and drink bag (not big on lunch stops , well fast food and coffee for Jackie (man goes nuts with out coffee), and Apple Fritter if INGLES is nearby.
Various pair of Mittens and Gloves (for days temperature varies).
Seldom carry rain gear -- do it predicted and often wear rain coat over other gear for wind breaker when cold early in the day.
Cell Phone hoping will help in emergency.
CB also (but mine is not working now).   

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 04:03:45 pm »
May have to start carrying tools in my Jeep. It died on the way to work and had a heck of a time getting it started again. Parked it and walked over to NAPA to get some cheap screwdrivers. Tightened up a clamp. Hope I get home tonite.

:groan
Semper Fi

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »
Will be monitoring the page for a distress call

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:33:03 pm »
Might need tools -- DANG CB500X had dead battery this AM (new battery installed not too long ago and was fine Friday on a 200 mile ride). Got clicking, but would not turn engine obver to start it.  :groan

More on that later ---  but as for now, I tried a new brand battery from FL (folks like them and have a 2 year guarantee). See how this comes out.

I have not checked into it yet - went shooting at a guys Farm this afternoon and took scooter to Gym this AM.
Goona ride Scooter THU on 270 mile loop ride into NC with Jackie.

Offline scootin

• It's not a moped
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »
The last battery I replaced had been cooked by a bad reg/rec. Those things sometimes fail and go unnoticed, although a blown headlight should have clued me in. :brrr

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 09:13:36 pm »
 Battery  issue with CB500X appears resolved but leaves a lot of question in MY FEBBLE MIND.

I checked voltage this AM and had 9.73V. Called the company (MotoBATT) to see what they had to say before I tried charging it (they give 2YR Warranty).

They gave me an explanation that I had a lot of question about. Said, 9.73V was not likely a bad cell and suspected loose terminal. These batteries do have a lousy lousy terminal situation in that there is an Allen screw securing what is more of a normal terminal that you would use on a normal battery to connect the bike cables to. (dumb to me). They said this could cause battery to be low voltage (what after I just rode 200 Miles FRIDAY with no problems, parked it, and tried to start it Monday).

Anyway, had to go along with what they said and wanted me to do (before they would consider sending me a new battery). BTW, they do sometimes if they are convinced it is a battery problem after checking voltages and doing their procedure. Don't always require return of the old battery -- just ship back the top plate).

TEST WAS

Check Terminal screws and the Allen screw. The Allen screws were tight, I gave them an extra tweak. I had  the Terminal Screws disconnected anyway (they were tight before I disconnected).

Then charge the battery by paralleling the battery with another 12v battery and then applying the charger. So, I took battery out of my VAN to the basement and connected it to the CB500X battery (parallel), then connected my portable Car Charger (it charges and reduces current as things get charged up). I watched the voltage and current and when current got from 9A to 3A, I disconnected the CB500X battery connectio to the Car Battery (curent dropped to 2A on the car battery). I let it charge the car battery a bit longer. 

Then, I applied the trickle charger to the CB500 Battery. It charged for a short time and then shut off (auto shutoff when battery is charged -  voltage at 13.35VDC).

Took trickle charger off the battery. Voltage settled at 12.85VDC after a short time.  Hooked up the CB500X cables and read 12.83VDC. Started engine and read 14.xxVDC at  battery terminal when engine was at idle (looks like my charging circuit is OK). Took a test ride to PO, then a short round about ride home.

ALL OK NOW -- Maybe they are right. Will hold judgement for a few days to see what happens.

PS: Still can'r imagine how the battery got discharged (they say a loose connection will do that --- guy I was talking to had that happen on a ride, stopped at a gas station and bike would not restart, found a loose connection, got things charged up and no more problems).   I WONDER??   

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 01:00:03 am »
batterys are crap now . put a new 5 year battery in the mustang in the fall . don't drive the pony in the winter . turns out the battery is junk from walmart . charged the battery up good & ran it today & it seemed to better .
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline BudLong

• True Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:29:35 pm »
stock tool kit (hidden in the removable side panel at the factory), rain gear (in my back pack back and forth to work), tire gauge and riding sun glasses in the tank bra

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:51 pm »
I carry almost everything.  Bag filled with assorted allen wrenches, box/open end Wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, vice grips, tire plugs/tool, fuses, Petcock valve repair kit, length of wire, etc.  Also carry a socket set, a 12v air compressor, Lightning Pac instead of jumper cables, rain gear, boot gators, bungie cords, GPS, Maps, snacks, water, sun screen, bike polish, rags, small first aid kit, water, extra gloves, pistol, etc.  This is in the Valkyrie.  For the 700 i carry tool bag, jumper pac, air compressor, rain gear, extra gloves, bungie cord, snacks, pistol, etc.  Smaller bags and storage compartment.  No cross country trips.  I could probably get a mile more to the gallon and an extra 2K miles on tire usage if I unloaded the saddle bags especially on the Valkyrie.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 08:20:13 pm »
I carry almost everything.  Bag filled with assorted allen wrenches, box/open end Wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, vice grips, tire plugs/tool, fuses, Petcock valve repair kit, length of wire, etc.  Also carry a socket set, a 12v air compressor, Lightning Pac instead of jumper cables, rain gear, boot gators, bungie cords, GPS, Maps, snacks, water, sun screen, bike polish, rags, small first aid kit, water, extra gloves, pistol, etc.  This is in the Valkyrie.  For the 700 i carry tool bag, jumper pac, air compressor, rain gear, extra gloves, bungie cord, snacks, pistol, etc.  Smaller bags and storage compartment.  No cross country trips.  I could probably get a mile more to the gallon and an extra 2K miles on tire usage if I unloaded the saddle bags especially on the Valkyrie.

You like to be prepared for anything and everything!

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
Looks like im carrying assort wrenches, and a roll of cable to make clutch repairs.

'Cause. . . you know. . . volkswagon. . .

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 08:22:13 pm »
Looks like im carrying assort wrenches, and a roll of cable to make clutch repairs.

'Cause. . . you know. . . volkswagon. . .

Yep been there. You might carry some extra throttle cable too.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »
Yep been there. You might carry some extra throttle cable too.

Ive used boot laces and had a hand throttle that i had to pull.

I really love that old vdub tech.

Of course, i had to take a screwdriver and a rock and knock a hole in the firewall to make it work, but aint that why they made blue glue and milk jugs"

Never saw the patch once the back seat was put back in.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 10:46:58 pm »
That's one of many got me home stories I'm sure. Driving back with no clutch is pretty fun too.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »
CB500X Battery (MotoBatt brand) that I initially included in this topic showed up again.

Symptoms: Aug 23 morning had a dead battery (3.4V) after having ridden Aug 10 and Aug 16 (long ride on 16th to NC) and not sure if I rdoe in between Aug 16 and 23rd, I think maybe a short ride one day (gym or errands).

Called MotoBatt  (BY THE WAY -- they are very good to deal with and Knowledgeable, I THINK). I say I think because I agree with final analysis, but I have some suspicions or questions.

Maybe someone can share thoughts on this. ???????

Bsically, their analysis after going thru the same CHARGE IT UP & TAKE DATA (same procedure as last time, April, which is: Hook a good battery in parallel, charge it, and then Measure No-Load voltage, Measure again a hour later, and Measure again 24 hours later.   

I had Charger light going on and off at 13.17v with charger still connected.
Had 13.13v after disconnecting charger.
Had 12.99v after 1 hour of no load on battery.
Had 12.74v after 24 hours of no load on battery.

Then I connected Battery to MC.
Had 12.67v after connection to MC.
Had 12.56v after 11 hours connected to MC.
Had 12.61v after 15 hours connected to MC.

Then I connected GPS -  I had it connected sometime between AUG 16 and Aug 23 and wanted to see what effect it had. Not sure it was connected that full 4 1/2 days) I expected near zero drain as once GPS is charged, can't imagine it drawing much.

I had 12.55v right before connecting the GPS.
Had 12.46v right after connecting the GPS.
Had 12.36v 7 1/2 hours after connecting to GPS.
Should have left it another 24 hrs at least. Did not as I called MotoBatt with all the data.

His thought were that battery is OK, but being drained by something (a short on bike - whatever).
MY OPINION - it would have to be an intermittent problem BECAUSE the bike often sits 2 or 4 days before using and from JAN to APRIL  and again from April to AUG never had a problem except in April and again in AUG.   

However, I agree with him the battery is charging and holding charge. I guess holding charge from 13.13v to 12.68v after 24 HR No Load and dropped another 0.10v with MC connected, and another 0.20v with GPS connected for 7 1/2 hours.

I agree with him that a battery would not drop without a drain on it as this one has and not recharge and work if it had a problem. So, likely some problem in the bike. BUT I Don't Know I For Sure --- can a battery discharge because of some internal problem (intermittent one)?

While on Phone with MotoBatt -- I started the bike (kicked right over which surprised him, he felt like at 12.35V it would be tough to turn engine over). I would not have questioned that. Maybe should???
Battery with Engine at Idle Speed was 14.2v (OK in my book).

Battery with High Beam on and engine not running was 11.94v -- High beam draws I think 5 AMP.Most time set on High Beam when turn key on, but think High Beam gets turned off temporarily when hit start button.   

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:23:35 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:29:34 am »
Around town I usually don't carry anything special and that's almost always turned out OK.  On a trip I carry a really good German  toolkit that includes repair kits for cables but other than that I don't bother with spares.  On tour I'm normally riding either my 1979 Suzuki GS1000S or my 1991 BMW K100RS and they are both reliable bikes.

The old biker saying about packing for a trip is still your best guide for trip prep:

"Take half the clothes you think you'll need and twice the cash."
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 07:53:40 am »
Just ordered a NOCO GB40  Jump Starter (one of those small jump stater's that will start a car). What they will start depends on the size you buy (this one is OK for my size cars and MC's, etc.)

Considering the problems I have had with the battery (or bike discharging it) lately, figuring to at least get home if it leaves me stranded. So far -- never been stranded and all seems normal except for the two occasions (April and Aug) of battery being down in morning - one time only sat overnight and battery was 9,7V, then last time was sitting for 4 days and battery was 3.4v). Very intermittent "Something" going on as battery has recharged and worked OK both times. ???

Can also carry the GB40 in car on trips.

Offline Briano

• 2016 Harley-Davidson Road King
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 03:44:59 am »
I carry: a tool kit, a tire repair kit, a tire pump, H-D airshock pump, maps of the areas where I'm riding in the left saddlebag; rainsuit, hat, waterbottle, either sunglasses or clear glasses (whichever ones I'm not wearing) in the right saddlebag; cellphone in vest pocket; CCW either on hip under vest or in other vest pocket.
If there's no ice on the road, it's not too cold to ride!

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 09:41:05 am »
I carry: a tool kit, a tire repair kit, a tire pump, H-D airshock pump, maps of the areas where I'm riding in the left saddlebag; rainsuit, hat, waterbottle, either sunglasses or clear glasses (whichever ones I'm not wearing) in the right saddlebag; cellphone in vest pocket; CCW either on hip under vest or in other vest pocket.

Briano-

Is that for when you're on tour or just everyday riding around?

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:33 pm »
I carry my stuff every day and swap it from bike to bike as to which one I ride.

Offline Briano

• 2016 Harley-Davidson Road King
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 02:19:24 am »
Chris,
    That is what I carry all the time. I was the Road Captain for my RA, when we started the Chapter, so I had to be prepared. I have since added a windshield bag to the Road King, so the sunglasses/clear glasses now go in it, with a flashlight.
If there's no ice on the road, it's not too cold to ride!

Offline SpareParts

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 02:13:16 pm »
Around town I don't bother with extra stuff unless the weather is bad.  Then I might add a rain jacket.  If I'm going on a trip I have stuff to wear if it rains and maybe an extra set of gloves.  I've thought about carrying stuff to repair a flat but so far haven't bothered and haven't ever had a problem.  I think that these days having a phone with you makes carrying a lot of emergency stuff unneeded.  Back in the old days when you couldn't call for help I guess things were different.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
Just wanted to add in defense of my previous Moto Batt problems.

It was a drain on battery from the GPS cable plugged into the 12v output socket.

Even with the GPS OFF or Not connected, that plug draws power as here is a light on it and I reckon some circuitry inside it to regulate the voltage going to the GPS.

Problem is the 12v output plug on the CB500X is hard wired to the battery (does not go thru the ignition switch).

So, I ahve been connecting the plug unless I am riding. No more dead batteries since I started doing that.