Author Topic: More of a Look at Scooter Problem(how to done before, a little INFO here)  (Read 699 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Scooter broke down (lost power to rear wheel suddenly on Wears Valley Rd WED (18th) at about 5:00PM.

Better there than on a flat road where I could coast to a parking area that the MTN Ride we (Dick from FL and Rick from MA) did just before it quit. We had been MTN Riding (Bluff, Summit, Homestead, East Homestead) and I would hate to think what might have happened if lost power on a steep switchback or curve.

More on the rides with Dick and Rick later. WED Eve, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN for a total of around 1150 miles +/- a little.

The Scooter Problem was as expected a broken belt. Rest looks OK, no damage from the belt breaking.  :happypep   Got 18535 miles on this belt and 22680 on OEM Belt. Recommended replacement is 12000 I think, most people run 20000.  Belt at Chaparral is $176.89 and ordered a couple air filters (one for engine and one for CVT) and a front tire for the scooter. 

PICTURES:
CVT Cover off. Can 't imagine why the DANG thing quit pulling.

Shows belt better with Primary Pulley Outer Face removed.

Pieces of Belt everywhere. Took a bit to dig it out from behind the clutch end of the CVT.

Clutch Pads look OK to me (44215 miles on OEM Pads).

Took Variator off to clean the belt dust that accumulates from belt wear. The Variator is the thing behind belt on second picture. It includes the Moveable Pulley Face and what makes it move (the back plate and the sliders).

Sliders in last picture appear OK (everything clean now).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:44:54 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
All fixed now after a delay caused by me apparently loosing a washer (under the nut that holds the primary pulley on the shaft). I ordered one from Mtn Mtr Sport and a new nut also. It's sort of critical to get this torqued properly -- there have been instances of the nut coming loose and the primary pulley outer plate coming off.  :groan

I think most indicate this happens when one ends up torguing the outer plate against the belt instead of metal to metal contact of outer plate to the inner plate. You have to make sure the belt has enough slack at the primary pulley to allow it to be away from the shaft. I do that by forcing the belt down into the secondary pulley with a block of wood and a mallet (sort of hammer it down in there say 3/16 or 1/4 inch).

Pictures show my setup:
You can see the belt is clear of the center of the primary pulley shaft (blurry picture) by looking between the plates.

Homemade tool has three bolts that go in between the fins on the primary pulley outer shaft,  the string holds the tool against the pulley outer plate while I am torguing the nut. Be careful as folks have broken a fin off (mis balance the pulley).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:44:22 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)