Author Topic: Old little known news  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Old little known news
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:16 am »
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Old little known news
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:50:28 pm »
Good find Marc.  I remember the rumours that circulated for years (at least into the late 80's) about the  Porsche engine Harley had in development.  I always seemed to hear about the V-4 that put out ungodly horsepower and how it would put HD firmly on the superbike map.  But, as the years went on I finally realized that Harley would never use the engine in a production bike as it was too different from what the Harley faithful wanted.  And that was borne out by my Harley friends who only wanted to see V-twins wearing a Harley nameplate.  At the time I thought that was a very short sighted decision by HD but with the benefit of seeing how the faithful reacted to the HD V-Rod and how it hasn't sold very well I'd have to say HD probably made the right call.

But that brings up a different issue.  Has HD irrevocably wedded itself to an increasingly outmoded engine design which will surely eventually become almost impossible to meet emission and noise standards with?  HD's recent tweeks and upgrades to the V-twin such as liquid cooled heads seem to argue that they may find enough wiggle room between their customers expectations and increasing rigorous legal standards.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:53:57 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »
I agree.But it makes you wonder what would have happened if they had put it in production without hesitation in the late 70s.From what I read there was a few completed bikes that execs rode so they had to be right there.I obviously don't know the specs on all the bikes back then but I would think a bike in the 135 hp range back then would have been a seller just because of its absolute dominance during a period I thought was one of growth in the industry.If that huge break from the status quo had been made back then I think it wouldn't have the shockwaves it will now.I also think what the few reviews i've heard the Milwaukee 8 will be a hit if it proves reliable.Its also a step in the direction of change and at some point its was gonna be change or don't sell bikes so it has to happen in some form.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:49:17 pm »
Harley proves again and again that it CAN....just won't.

Harley Livewire. Touted by reporters to be the most production ready electric bike they have ever seen. Will it be produced? HAH!

Harley VR1000. Developed for racing to compete with the Japanese manufacturers. The engine was the basis for the Revolution engine in the V-Rod.

Buell ..well, we all know the story there. Finally develop a bike that can compete with any of the big boys. Magazines heralded it as a potential  Ducati killer.

Harley XR1200. Gains a successful class in AMA racing. Harley says we're done. Drops the XR line.

Also of note Harley has owned MV Augusta briefly. They bought it, didn't know what to do with it and promptly sold it.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:49:40 pm by IanC »
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:11:47 pm »
VERY INTERESTING  ----  That 1970 stuff if produced might have made me interested in a Harley (the smaller cc models -- I see no need for me to have a 175HP two wheeler).  :banghead
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 05:54:56 am »
A potential missed chance on their part.Probably would amaze us if we knew of all the times different manufacturers had done stuff like this.
Marc

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
It just goes to show you that there are people out there that will buy something just to have bragging rights and then there are those that just like mean machines.  Look at the current Boss Hoss, 350 or 427 models.  I can't afford them but some people can.  The major issue is that unless you're on a race track, you have a difficult time enjoying that power on the open road.  But wouldn't it feel good to blip the throttle a few times.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:13 pm »
Yup and they are putting LS motors in them now also.I know of a few Boss Hoss trikes.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:46:33 pm by Luvmystar »
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:57:55 pm »
It's a blipping good time.  :happypep :happyrider
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)