Author Topic: Troy Corser rides the wheels off a 80 year old BMW!  (Read 806 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Troy Corser rides the wheels off a 80 year old BMW!
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »
Troy Corser rides the wheels off a ‘35 racing BMW!

The Goodwood Revival festival in the UK is an amazing celebration of all forms of motorized competition with cars and bikes.  A notable feature of the event is a race showcasing famous old racing bikes such as Manx Nortons, Velocettes, and, yes, BMWs.  The riders are also a showcase of famous racers both old and new.  In this clip Australian Troy Corser of Superbike riding fame (he won championships in Australian Superbike, AMA Superbike, and World Superbike) is mounted on a 1935 BMW RSS doing a hot lap of the Goodwood circuit.  Now, often the race is not really flat out and is more of a chance to see these famous old names, both metal and human, out on a track again.  But Troy Corser is from the “one speed is all I got--WFO” school of racing and it’s just a joy to see him riding the hell out of that old Beemer.  I happen to think that's what the damn thing was built for and so it’s a chance to reaffirm my strong belief that if a bike was a thrill to ride back in the day when it was built it’ll still be a hoot to ride if you RIDE it.  These things weren’t built to be babied and yet that's usually exactly the way you see them when they’re exhibited.

Unless Troy Corser is in the saddle...

Here’s a shot of Corser riding at Donington Park in the 2007 British round of World Superbike

And here’s the highlight clip from race 2 won by John McGuinness (McPint!) of Isle of Man TT fame (23 time TT winner) who I last saw racing at the Island 3 months ago.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:43:21 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Troy Corser rides the wheels off a 80 year old BMW!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:06:00 am »
That'd be fun to go watch.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Troy Corser rides the wheels off a 80 year old BMW!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:50:42 pm »
More Good Old Days.

I went to Barber Vintage days one time. Figured I could race the speed of the early 1900 bikes when watching them race.  :happypep
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)