Author Topic: Defend or Not Defend (Carry or Not Carry) - Better Know the Consequences  (Read 1243 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Personally, I have done some thinking and study (not official training) on this Gun Culture and some of the comments from folks including gun promoters. Like -- I'll shoot first and ask later, make my day, etc.,. What I call Redneck Talk.  8) Don't get me wrong, I would do what I thought I had to do if I am able. 

This is about the fact that one can get in a lot of Hot Water if you do use a gun (even if you don't use it or even if it makes sense to use it). So here is some info.

Ran onto this  USCCA organization (essentially a member thing for education about how to react and what kind of trouble you will have - legally). They also provide up to $millions for you legal defense should you be involved in any kind of gun arrest. You will be surprised at some of the things you can get arrested for (even when doing things that should be legal - think you are defending). 

Just got an E Mail from them with a Video Link that is a bit of an eye opener.

It's long and is also an advertisement of the services they provide -- THAT SAID, it's a DANG good "Food For Thought".  I recommend watching.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/plf/2017_January_Webinar/replay.html?id=promo-2017-01jan&sid=Pros_REPLAY   

I'm probably not as adamant about the need as some, and have an idea you better be sure of what you are doing. I study the issue, but don't think I am trained as needed and DANG sure most civilians are not.
I do think folks need to be required to have training (tactical) to carry.

In other words, I hope this is not starting another argument about GUNS, 2nd Amendment, NRA, Crooks gonna have them anyway (heard all that Over and Over). I'm not  I'm not into all this NRA and Second Amendment uproar (no one trying to take guns as far as I see).  I believe you have a right to own and carry. I also believe in more stringent requirements for backgrounds and sale and more training and education for carry.

Bad enough to worry about all the folks carrying illegal (criminal element), then  have to worry about a bunch of not trained honest citizen idiots.   
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
I agree.  I think most who carry would benefit from a lot more training and would also suggest that most who carry don't shoot nearly often enough to be truly proficient with their weapon.

But as Paul points out the real training issue is the "shoot-don't shoot" decision point.  As we all can see from the news, that training deficit exists in the law enforcement world too.  When we have supposedly qualified and trained police officers using lethal force in obviously questionable circumstances that just highlights the need for that sort of training in both the law enforcement and civilian communities.  I think a lot more training needs to be done for all in that regard.

If you ever do need to use a firearm against another human the decision you make is going to be examined minutely.  Since that decision will have to be made quickly without the luxury of time to consider things the only way to help ensure it's a correct one is thorough and recurrent training.  The penalty for making a wrong decision is just too painful both legally and morally not to do as much as you can to make sure it will be the right one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:25:58 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Chris --- You have a wonderful way of analyzing and presenting. VERY WELL PUT !!!  I admire. :21

PS: Maybe, I am misled, but I hear mostly what I call the "redneck" mentality when it comes to guns and see it also with the guy at Flea Market exposed gun in holster in middle of his back  ??? You know like the movie redneck  "Make My Day".

Maybe I over use the term "redneck"  :banghead  There are good'uns and bad'uns (I'm using it for bad'uns in above sentence).  >:D

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
I agree on the training.  USMC gave me the basics for shooting but their reasoning back then was to kill.  No questions asked.  I got involved with several local LEO groups while in the line of performing my job and picked up some additional training.  I use to do a lot more shooting than I do now, targets that is.  I also learned a lot from my youngest son who is a veteran police office with the LAPD and he has a degree in law.  When you think of it, most times you have fractions of a second decision to either shoot or not.  I looked up the Conceal Weapon Law in each state I travel in or plan to travel in and they are as confusing as sorting out multi-color chicks in a brooder house. There is nothing simple in any of them and some states like Illinois are just plain dumb.

I carry and am licensed to do so but I pray that I never have to pull it but if I do and the rational is such that I need to also pull the trigger, consider it pulled.

As Paul said, there are a lot of people that own weapons that should not be allowed the weapon nor out of the house.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
ive made it through my 47/8 years on this planet without the "need" to shoot anyone.

i would call it luck, mostly.

admittedly, i have been shot at a few times.

and i also admit i may have earned it, all but once.

i do own and keep firearms, and i would like to believe that i would be able to defend my family should the need present itself.

but as i have never been truly tested, i cannot say.

now, that said, i have had my but kicked more times than i can count, and have handed out a "whoopin" or two over the years of my own.

but im old school, i can remember men putting their guns on the hood of a truck to fight it out.

but as i get older ( and more "fragile") i will admit, the "need" to use a firearm might be more readily defined. . . . . . .

anymore, it hurts too much to get up without having to carry an ass whoopin' through the house.

What does "riding season" mean?

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
By The Way --- I am not a member of USCCA (I think it might be worthwhile, but it is relatively expensive). Also,  I am not  promoting this organization (USCCA).

That said, I have learned a lot and been given a lot of "Food For Thought" from their E Mails (GET A LOT OF THEM in spam). Not sure How I got hooked up with this, clicked on something that looked interesting one time. I am not sorry that I did, as I said Food For Thought.

HERE IS Latest FOOD For THOUGHT in one of their E Mails.   

How responsible gun owners avoid concealed carry mistakes with USCCA Membership...

I want to talk to you about something pretty serious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...and again...
We're no longer safe in the places we once felt safest. Assaults in churches, murders in movie theaters, armed robberies in the checkout line at the grocery store...

These headline-making events seem to be plaguing us every single day...
We want to believe the world is a safe place, but even more so, we want to believe our hometowns are immune to this horrifying decline of our society...

Two police reports listed in my local newspaper a while back showed a different and disturbing reality...

You see, more and more people are choosing to carry guns to defend themselves-which I fully support...

I mean, educating and insuring these people is exactly what we do at the USCCA...

It's why I founded this organization in the first place...

There are many inspiring stories of self-defense involving concealed weapons, there are some that are less justified...

Take the two contrasting stories near my hometown...

A 30-year old man reported being assaulted in a park while walking with a female friend. He said he was approached by four unknown men, when one of them tried to start a fight by punching him. When the victim advised the assailants he was carrying a concealed weapon, they fled in their vehicle, and were later apprehended by police.

Now, this is what I like to hear...stories of responsibly armed citizens right in my own back yard...

Later that same week...

A road rage incident caused one of two involved vehicles to collide into a guardrail. A verbal exchange followed between the drivers. One then drew his concealed gun and pointed it at the other man in an attempt to discourage him from leaving the scene. The permit holder was arrested for endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon and was transported to jail.

You see, there's two sides to every coin...

There are cases of good concealed carry discipline, which make us want to stand up and cheer for the good guy...

And others that frankly, ruin the image of respectable firearm-owning civilians...

t's up to us to act responsibly when we decide to take matters in our own hands, and to know ahead of time when it's appropriate and legal to draw our guns.

Practice your draw. Train to improve your accuracy. Carry your gun as a means of protection... But, know the law...

Don't do anything stupid, careless, or reckless.

Your actions-right or wrong-affect millions of other gun owners.

Basically, this is what we do at the USCCAwe educate and train you so you stay a RESPONSIBLE gun owner...  But also, we keep your family's financial responsibly future safe...

Because you never know what's going to happen...and a lot of the time even the guys who do practice good concealed carry diligence end up behind bars, simply because they're "the guy with the gun..."

And that's why I want to reward the responsibly armed Americans, like you, whose actions encourage safe and responsible gun ownership...

...and why I'm giving you this $245 bonus package when you activate your USCCA membership.

http://click.em.usconcealedcarry.com/?qs=9d22e4509d37b130b5d6f4b59fbd98c20a55bde922deee6613e201c8c68cb9b53830af45239940e8

That's a collection of our best-selling training and gear...but since I know you're looking into the education, training and self-defense insurance you need to be a responsible gun owner...

I want to send it all to you for free.

Claim yours here, right now.

Take care and stay safe,

Tim Schmidt
President | USCCA

Any Questions? Call Our Award-Winning,
American-Based Member Services Team:
1-877-677-1919

USCCA | Delta Defense, LLC
300 S. 6th Avenue
West Bend, WI 53095
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:37:30 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I get regular E Mails from USCC --- I have not signed up.

I hope I don't ever regret not signing up.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/offers/58b2fe55e4111/join-the-uscca-today

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject besides the what I call "Usual Red Neck" comments.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I need a lot of practice.  :banghead

Jerry Miculex -- World Champion several times. His Theory on U-Tube.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
I met Jerry Miculek once and was there in the crowd at the Smith & Wesson store in West Point, MS when he set that astonishing speed record with a revolver of shooting 6 shots, reloading, and firing six shots in about three seconds. As someone who has fumbled my way through using a speedloader in competition I literally couldn't believe my eyes.  A contingent from the S&W Shooting Team was there and I even got to fire some of handguns from the S&W Custom Shop.  The guns were much better than I was, but then again, so were the shooters.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Defend or Not Defend (Carry or Not Carry) - Better Know the Consequences
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:16:39 am »
I did setup an account - FREE. Did it when I ordered a couple DVDs offered for shipping cost of $7.XX.

Account is FREE
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/login/

The account is not a membership, a membership includes the "insurance" that would assist you with the cost of any Legal Battles that I understand come with any shooting situation.

I have not decided on Memberships -- start at like $147 a year and goes up to $347 a year depending on how much insurance you desire (gets up to $million worth of assistance). 

Membership is Not FREE.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

Warning --- you get many - many - many E Mails from USCCA once you are on their list (some are informative as well as soliciting your membership). I look at them and decide if I want the information or not.