Author Topic: Helping an old friend  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Helping an old friend
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:29:06 pm »

My much loved old 1979 Suzuki GS1000S has a problem.  After almost 40,000 miles the motor needs a complete rebuild.  The obvious thing would be to rebuild one of the GS1000 motors I have laying around the garage and swap it out when it's ready.  The problem with that is I want to keep this motor and frame mated together.  So, when a running GS1000 project bike became available in Asheville NC at a very good price I immediately grabbed it.  The idea is to have a motor to put in Suzy's frame that's good enough to ride with for the year or so I expect to be sourcing parts and  rebuilding her original motor.  Ian and I went to Asheville last weekend to pick up the project bike and I think we did OK.  I paid $250 for the bike, sold the carbs to another GSResources forum member, and have already noted that the gas tank looks OK and the bike has a Dyna aftermarket ignition.  So that's $700 worth of parts right there since old Suzuki gas tanks are getting rare.  Today I wanted to check out the project bike engine to see if it would serve as a good temp fix for Suzy.

So, basically a good visual inspection and compression check was the order of the day.  First thing I noticed was a lot (a LOT!) of silicon sealant applied externally to every joint on the engine.  Plainly this motor has been leaking and the fella who had it wasn't too keen on opening anything up and replacing a gasket.  Also noted was a pretty cheesey attempt to paint the engine black.  Perhaps the guy thought a black motor wouldn't show leaks so much?  The engine ignition cover is broken and the other covers (generator, clutch, and sprocket) look kinda beat.  I have NOS replacement covers in my spares bins (except for my ignition cover...I just remembered Ian snagged it.) so that's no problem at all.  The good news is no broken bits like fins or mounting bosses.  Also, the engine was over-serviced with oil so that could be a lot of the oil leaks right there.  So, the visual inspection tells me we need new gaskets for the all covers including the valve cover and perhaps for the cylinder head and base gaskets.

Moving on to the the compression check I had some problems getting the motor to spin very well.  the wiring harness has been chopped up by that previous fella and I had to set up a good jury rig to engage the starter and cleaned the connections in the path to the starter.  After a bit of jumpering I hooked up the remote starter to the starter solenoid and using a fully charged battery and a charger in the 50 amp jump start mode spun the motor.  No compression at all, in any cylinder, just a hollow sounding "duwoop-duwoop" noise as the motor turned.  Hunh...   Jammed my thumb over the #4 spark plug hole and tried again.  Pop!  Blew my thumb off the hole.  Well...now what?  Short answer was a defective Schrader valve in the compression tester hose.  Fixed that.  Aha, now we have compression or, more correctly, now we can read the compression.

First run with a dry and cold engine

#1 = 100
#2 = 95
#3 = 75
#4 = 105

Second attempt gave me the same results except for #3 which went up very slightly to 80 psi.  Still not good.  OK, time to try it with a spoonful of oil down the spark plug holes.

First run wet and cold engine
#1 = 125
#2 = 120
#3 = 115
#4 = 125

Second run wet and cold (with a different gauge)
#1 = 125
#2 = 125
#3 = 120
#4 = 130

The compression test seems to be telling me that #3 probably is leaking at the piston rings.  Possibly its a head gasket or valves but since the compression went up so dramatically after adding a little oil to the cylinder that suggests rings.

One nice side effect of the compression test is I got to listen to the motor spinning a lot without exhaust noises.  No funny noises, the starter turned it over pretty fast, and the motor shifts through the gears OK.

Note the sealant around the ignition cover and at the cylinder base

So, right now my plan is to take the motor to be cleaned up by pressure washing to get the oily grunge off and then vapor blasting which will get rid of the ugly black paint and clean up the castings nicely.  Once it's clean then I'll pop the head and cylinders off, replace rings and then reassemble with new gaskets and o rings, checking the valves as we go.  Once reassembled then it'll be time to swap this motor out with Suzy's.  Then the real work starts.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Helping an old friend
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:27:27 am »
 :pop
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:24:37 am »
 :banghead :groan :21
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 12:48:44 pm »
The rings, pistons and cylinders from my 1000 engine are fresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:34:41 pm »

Got the temporary heart transplant done.  Just need to put everything back together now.  It was a balmy 32F, dad needs some heat in the garage.

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »
Reminds me of  xxx yyyys and Elbows.  :happyrider

You can guess xxx and yyyys.  :pop

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:49:56 pm »

Got the temporary heart transplant done.  Just need to put everything back together now. It was a balmy 32F, dad needs some heat in the garage.

I was definitely loving my insulated coveralls last night.  Reminded me of working on aircraft in the winter. 

As you mentioned last night...why aren't heated garage floors a thing?
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 03:54:37 pm »
Sounds like time to start a new thing.When its cold I no work with no heat.I don't do cold well.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:54 pm »
Sounds like time to start a new thing.When its cold I no work with no heat.I don't do cold well.

Me either...causes too much pain these days.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
 :ditto
Marc

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:12:35 pm »
Got the substitute motor in her and took her for a proof run to Anniston AL last week. Ran like a top which was very gratifying.  Ordered a new front Bridgestone BT45 tyre at Cycle Gear in Knoxville and it arrived pretty quickly.  Took the rim to them to have the tyre mounted and they polished that off in a timely manner.  I noticed my nice yellow metal valve cap was missing and replaced with a cheap plastic one when I went to pick the wheel up at the store.  Turns out that not only had the guy forgotten to put my valve cap back on but hadn't remembered to balance the wheel either.  No evil intent but the fella got busy and skipped a few steps.  It pays to be at least a little observant I guess and I was glad I noticed things were amiss.   I haven't had a chance to try out baby's new shoes since the bike has started dribbling petrol on the ground intermittently out of the carb overflow hoses.    The likely culprits are the petcock and carb needle valves.  I figured I'll change the petcock first with a Pingel setup and try rebuilding the stock one later to hold it in reserve just in case I ever want to restore the bike to dead stock.   So I just ordered a shiny new Pingel petcock and adapter which should  go along way to fixing the dribble.  If not then it'll be time to sort out the carbs.

Till then....No Smoking within 50 ft of the Motorcycle by order of the installation commander!
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 06:43:58 am »
Doing good.  :happyrider

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:01 am »
Took Suzy for a short ride to town to get a shower head and try out the new parts including the new front tyre.  Bike ran like a top, no leaks,  and I took the scenic route home via the Foothills Parkway.  The first ride with new rubber always surprises me..."Wow!  This bikes really handles good!"  The degradation of handling is so gradual as the tyres wear out that we don't notice it until we put a new skin on the bike and remember how well it handled to start with.  My riding partner enjoyed the trip too and we even remembered to get the new shower head.

So, Suzy is happy with her temporary "new" motor and it's time to start focusing on rebuilding the original motor.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:12:51 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 04:52:25 pm »
 :21 Sweet
Marc