Author Topic: Bad day  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Bad day
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:58:24 am »
98% sure the trans went in the wing yesterday.Anybody got a spare engine laying around. :groan
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Bad day
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:59:41 am »
So sad to hear that.  :( :groan

Do you have a plan for a fix? 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:07:31 pm »
Now why did you do that?  I'm just ready for some good riding and what will you do the dirt with now that you've messed up the trike?  Sorry to hear about that.  What let go.

As for spare engine, Smokin Joe on the VRCC forum probably has one.  He lives around Clinton, TN.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »
Valk engines have no reverse.There are times I just ain't pushing that sucker.Its the 4th gear rattle.Its fixable but from what i've read so far cost is comparable to a used engine.Found 1 for just under 1k delivered from a 97up bike that had the newer style shift collar/gear that supposedly is less trouble prone.Not that I can't do it but I think for how much more trouble it is i'll go that route when money allows.Still have the nomad.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:48 pm »
What it sounds like. 
Marc

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22:13 am »
How far back will they interchange?

'Cause, goldwings. . .
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:41:51 am »
88-00.Apparently they beefed up the tranny with Valk stuff in 97 so those are supposedly a bit tougher.I'm good.I will just get to put a few more miles on the nomad.
Marc

Offline SpareParts

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 12:52:28 pm »
Sorry to hear about your bike.  Good luck fixing it.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
Thanks.It will be ok.Got alot going on so i'll just suck it up and ride the nomad in my sig.I think I can suffer through it. ;D
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 09:12:27 pm »
GOOD YOU HAVE ABILITY TO DO IT.  :happypep

I would probably give up as I did on the Burgman 650 Scooter.  :banghead

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 11:01:26 am »
When you get the replacement engine or tranny I'd be glad to help with swapping it in.  With any luck I might even be able to drag along somebody who really knew what he was doing like Ian!  :)
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:04:51 pm »
No problem.I'm slowly formulating a plan of action.I have my doubts but I am going to pull the clutch cover and maker sure its nothing in there.My understanding is any deeper means the crankcase gets split.I've done a little looking entertaining the thought of repair and the gear set that i'm suspicious of is unobtainium from Honda now and even a google search for the part# only gave me Bike Bandit as having it available.My confidence in availability is not high.The hits just keep coming for my finances lately so it may be awhile till an engine is secured.Bummer cause I found what I at least think is what I would want.A 2000 with 90,000 miles.I would like lower miles but want 97 and newer if possible.
Marc

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »
Miht be time for a full on conversion to a v8

Maybe find an old corvair spider turbo pancake.  :happypep

What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »
Miht be time for a full on conversion to a v8

Maybe find an old corvair spider turbo pancake.  :happypep

I've said this before but I like how you think.I don't really have that in me right now but I do like it.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 06:58:26 am »
Stethoscope shows loudest in in lower area more towards the front.Gonna try to borrow a scope from one of the mechanics at work.Almost forgot he had it.But here is a better video.I have the the lifter plate out of it and obviously the slave cyl.to eliminate those. 
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 08:26:19 am »
Wish I knew enough to help.  :groan

You know the saying "Wish in one hand and xxxx in the other, see which fills up the quickest".

Good luck on all this. 

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:05:51 am »
It's alright Paul. Trust me it's a blessing and a curse. Can't do what I used to. Anyway the reality is it's the transmission. Now do I find a motor or a trans.There's a trans for a 100 and a engine is close to 1k. A gasket set is 200 plus my labor. Also they really beefed things up in 97,98 with valkyrie stuff so I think that's the 1 to get.
Marc

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »
It's alright Paul. Trust me it's a blessing and a curse. Can't do what I used to. Anyway the reality is it's the transmission. Now do I find a motor or a trans.There's a trans for a 100 and a engine is close to 1k. A gasket set is 200 plus my labor. Also they really beefed things up in 97,98 with valkyrie stuff so I think that's the 1 to get.

I found this on a Valkyrie forum in a discussion which certainly confirms your decision about which years to look for.

"from the June '05 issue of motorcycle consumer news, by Fred Rau. He was the editor of Wing World magazine in '87, the news letter of the largest Gold Wing organization, the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA), and now contributes to MCN.

"in '97 the GW recieved a fairly major upgrade that was, oddly enough not heralded by Honda. Honda quietly lifted the Valkyrie's main bearings, pistons, piston rings, con-rod bolts and valve springs into the '97 Wing, along with the smoother-shifting Valkyrie gearbox and the entire final drive unit. In addition, the clutch was strengthened, also."

Also from the article, 1) '88 through '94, 4th and 5th gear wear out at around 100k miles, gears were upgraded in '95 and newer. Also, shift forks wear out from riders resting their toe on the shift lever while riding. their experts warned that the use of heel-toe shifters is also responsible for shift fork damage, as your heal puts much more force on the shifter than your toe would. 2) speedo cable should be lubed every front tire change other wise they break at 100k miles. 3) final drive splines, maintenance should be done IAW honda service bulletin 97991-MAH-305."

If it were my decision, after looking at what's involved in installing new tranny gear shafts on a Wing, I'd be looking for a 97 or up GL1500 short block engine with reasonable mileage.  Maybe try for a crashed bike for parts?  I imagine there are plenty of guys who snatch those up to part them out so one might be hard to find.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:54:37 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 02:50:07 pm »
Perhaps a Goldwing FORUM would have a seller of parts from wrecks.

As Rick says, "What do I know, just a dumb Hillbilly?"  :pop  I think Rick said that are something like it.   

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 03:20:00 pm »
Yep thats kind of what i'm thinking.The only downside to the shortblock thing is that mine is an 89.They changed cams in 90 to help driveability(What does chucking mean)93 saw roller rockers then the mentioned trans changes.I'm not really concerned so much with anything other than the trans stuff really just want the best bang for my buck.Lack of which will probably dictate what I do and when.Right now the financial hits seem continuous so until I get the worst of them ironed out I'll be assembling the trike enough to move it around.When I get the engine out we can have a nice afternoon taking it apart for info purposes if anyone wants but I feel its well enough known that it wouldn't benefit many.
Marc

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:11 pm »
Marc, Smokin Joe on the VRCC forum lives in Clinton.  He usually guys wrecked Valkyries, etc., and swaps parts, frames, etc.  He might have an engine laying around.  I wonder if a Valkyrie engine/trans would swap out in your trike.  Since yours is a Goldwing check their forums.  A Valkyrie engine/trans would be good but your gas mileage would go down, i.e., 6 carbs compared to 2.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »
I finally found a thread last night with mention of someone successfully using a Valkyrie engine.He used the entire case.I thought that was a no brainer but apparently noone had went that far.No 6 carbs though they won't fit the framework so you have to use the intake and carb from the wing.I have been kicking that around and wondering what real effect it would have on the mileage with it pulling about 200 extra lbs and a windsail.The extra umph might not be all bad.Been awhile since I checked it but I think I was getting in the upper 20s low 30s with normal riding.Right now it would be hard to buy one even for 100 bucks it just ain't there right now.Having a sense of responsibility sucks sometimes.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »
No problem.I'm slowly formulating a plan of action.I have my doubts but I am going to pull the clutch cover and maker sure its nothing in there.My understanding is any deeper means the crankcase gets split.I've done a little looking entertaining the thought of repair and the gear set that i'm suspicious of is unobtainium from Honda now and even a google search for the part# only gave me Bike Bandit as having it available.My confidence in availability is not high.The hits just keep coming for my finances lately so it may be awhile till an engine is secured.Bummer cause I found what I at least think is what I would want.A 2000 with 90,000 miles.I would like lower miles but want 97 and newer if possible.
  You may get your opportunity in the next few weeks.I have found a complete gear set and forks from a 2000 model for 100 Plus gaskets.I'm thinking I will finally relocate the clutter in my shop this and maybe next week then tear it down for definite verification of what's needed.By then I should have enough answers to know if I can swung it but I feel I can at least get the transmission in hand.
Marc

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:15 am »
  You may get your opportunity in the next few weeks.I have found a complete gear set and forks from a 2000 model for 100 Plus gaskets.I'm thinking I will finally relocate the clutter in my shop this and maybe next week then tear it down for definite verification of what's needed.By then I should have enough answers to know if I can swung it but I feel I can at least get the transmission in hand.

I hereby formally renew my volunteer statement.  Just give me a buzz when you need an extra hand.  If it conflicts with something I already have scheduled we'll work something out.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
I think I can handle the removal and tear down but welcome help since I've never been inside a bike trans before.But I have a Clymer and I ain't afraid to use it.Seriously sometimes it just makes life easier having a second pair of hands.Right now I'm shooting for Friday but could possibly end up the next Friday.Kinda depends on my clean up the shop progress.I seriously hope the pics the guy posted of his stuff all laid out when he did this is a bit exaggerated.
Marc

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »
Look at you jumping into a transmission and I can't even get motivated to put my carbs back in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:27 pm »
I tend to have that problem at times to but I have a trans found from the year bike I really want 1from but I can't bring myself to order even though I'm 99% sure it is the trans till I see for myself.The trans an forks are gonna run me about $100 an engine much more.You still got the vs tar?
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 03:03:06 pm »
Ok engine in floor.Unfortunately I just learned the equivalent of almost half my household income will be lost or going elsewhere next month with almost a quarter gone at least till the end of year.I may disect this thing but repair is on hold for the foreseeable future.Anybody want a cheap trike. :groan
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:28 pm »
 :groan
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »
Dissection complete suspicions confirmed.Still unable to go farther for now.I did get the nomad out and give it a bath and get the tire pressure up so its ready to ride and a huge bonus my left foot/ankle is all but completely pain free so I can now ride again.
Marc