Author Topic: H-D announces first Street variant, Street Rod  (Read 1086 times)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
H-D announces first Street variant, Street Rod
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:00 pm »

It appears the Motor Co. may have been listening! The new Street Rod is based on the Street 750 but with a new Revolution 750 High Output engine (estimated to put out mid 60hp and 50ft-lb torque), inverted forks, better shocks, dual front disc brakes (with slightly disappointing 2-piston calipers) and revised body work. It now features a respectable lean angle potential and I'm sure the new engine could see an easy 70+ hp with some bolt-ons and tune. The Triumph Street Twin may have a little more competition.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2017-harley-davidson-street-rod-preview.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:01:31 pm by IanC »
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: H-D announces first Street variant, Street Rod
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:34:08 pm »
I like it.  Competition for the Indian Scout?

I actually don't think the customers for a Ducati Scrambler / BMW RnineT / Triumph Bonneville will be tempted but for those looking for a more modern iteration of the American cruiser theme this will be a real option.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
 :21 I think I like it.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:40:58 am »
Looks like a fun bike. The guy is leaned over to reach the bars (dang near sport bike position if that is necessary).  ???
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:55:27 pm »
Looks like a fun bike. The guy is leaned over to reach the bars (dang near sport bike position if that is necessary).  ???

You could be right Paul but to me it looks like the guy just twisted himself into a pretzel looking over his shoulder.  (Why not use the mirrors dummy!)  Here's another shot which may suggest the riding position is reasonably neutral.  I think we'll have to wait until we see the real bike to know.  I agree with you that a sportbike crouch riding position would be a mistake with that sort of bike.

And where on earth did they get that helmet?  I haven't seen one like that since the early 80's.  Still, I guess I should be glad the Harley guys have at least caught up to the 1980s in helmet tech now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:58:05 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline MotoWacky

• Crazy for Bikes!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »
I like the new Harley.  It seems more like a mainstream metric bike while still being a Harley.  I bet the usual harley people won't like it and will say it doesn't look like a harley.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »
I heard that at least some of the dealers were keeping the 500 & 750 streets out of the main sales area and if you wanted one you had to ask.The average Harley buyer that has kept things going for them is aging and they are trying to attract a generation to their bikes.Plus they are having to give in and to at least some technology to pass emissions so the bikes have to change period.At least thats my opinion.
Marc

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 12:51:02 am »
Ian's dealership had one on the floor for a day (it was already sold before it arrived.) and we got to see the new bike in person.  It looks good and is surprisingly compact.  Narrow, as all v-twins are, and the ergos look pretty benign.  The bars are funny shaped and I'd have a superbike bar on it before it left the dealership.  (Incidentally it uses normal 7/8 in. bars instead of the HD usual 1 in.)  I gathered from listening in on some conversations amongst the dealer staff that they don't have a real good idea of what sort of niche this bike could fill.  There was some surprise that Ian and I thought this was a contender against the retro-standard offerings from BMW, Triumph  and Ducati and was priced quite competitively.

If I was the local dealer, I'd be doing anything I could to get that bike out in front of young 20-something hipsters and keep plugging away at the idea that this bike isn't their Dad's Harley.  They need to use this to go after the non-Harley riders, and maybe after non-riders period.  After all, it worked for Honda in the 60's.

BTW:  This thing is going to go over like free beer at a lumberjack picnic in Japan and Asia.   Japanese riders like HD's and they'll love this one.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 06:21:28 am »
We are in total agreement on this.If the traditional Harley buyers don't likeem they only have to walk by that first row or 2 to get to the bikes they like.Change will have to come for long term survival of the company.At least thats my opinion.They have 3? nice entry level bikes that should be heavily marketed.
Marc

Offline SpareParts

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
That's a nice looking bike but I bet those Harly boys won't like it and most of the rest of us won't like it because it's a Harly.