Author Topic: Held SR-X gloves  (Read 893 times)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Held SR-X gloves
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:54:17 pm »
I liked my Joe Rocket Atomic X gloves for daily warm weather riding but they were a few years old and starting to look a little worse for wear, especially after my little off a couple months ago. I'd had the opportunity to put my hands on a few gloves in the the Held line-up and really liked them. The quality was great and the fit was top-notch so this time I decided to try a pair of Held's.
I was in the market for a warm weather glove to use during my daily riding. For this purpose the gloves have to breathe well, still offer good protection and be comfortable. Held offers a few gloves that seem like they would fit this task well but I decided on the SR-X. It looks like it would offer a little more protection than the others at the cost of being a little warmer.

(Photo credit: Revzilla.com)

I had to order the gloves because they weren't something stocked at Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson (SMH-D does carry other Held gloves) so fit was a concern. I measured my hand using Held's recommendation and ordered the 8.5 (half-size offerings are nice). The size is right on and they fit great. The initial impression as you hold the gloves is one of quality. The kangaroo leather is soft, the stitching is well done with no frays or loose ends.
The titanium knuckle guard seems awkwardly huge until you have the glove on and then you realize why. Most gloves with solid knuckle guards can be uncomfortable because you can feel the knuckle guard against your knuckles but that isn't the case with these. Also when you have your hand closed around a grip it looks more natural.
The gloves are extremely comfortable to wear. This is before they are even broken in so that will only get better. Most of the stitching is external so you don't have seams and stitches riding on your skin. I have noticed that in the finger tips I'll feel a little of the seam but the leather is soft enough it isn't an issue.
Other features packed into these gloves include a visor wiper which is a strip of rubber built into the pointer finger of the left glove so you can use your finger as a windshield wiper for your helmet visor. There is Super fabric on the impact points along the palm and outside fingers. This does two things, it increases abrasion resistance but also promotes sliding so that your hands are less likely to catch on the pavement and cause damage. A stickier material is also used on the grip areas to help promote a looser grip on the bars.
I haven't ridden in hot weather yet obviously but in 70ish degree temps they flow well and in mid 30's they flow too well.

Retail price on these gloves is $220.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:55:09 pm by IanC »
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Held SR-X gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:09:06 pm »
Really good if somewhat pricey kit.   But then, how much do I like having all ten fingers?
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
Love my Held gloves,  had them 4-5 years.   Wish I would have ordered them a half size smaller as after they broke in they stretched a bit.

The visor wipe is a lifesaver when stuck in traffic in the rain when you can't get enough speed to clearthe shield (also works well to squeegee your seat when parked in the rain.

Sorry to hear about the off, which bike?
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:48:45 pm »

Sorry to hear about the off, which bike?

The Daytona.  Had a low speed low side.  GB Racing crash protection did it's job as did my gear.

After a couple weeks a wrist enclosure started to tear on these gloves.  Held customer support so far has been good and I'm awaiting word on replacements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »

The Daytona.  Had a low speed low side.  GB Racing crash protection did it's job as did my gear.

After a couple weeks a wrist enclosure started to tear on these gloves.  Held customer support so far has been good and I'm awaiting word on replacements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

"Wrist enclosure"??  I'm no seamstress or whatever they call folks who stitch leather but  would have called what was letting go a "seam".  In any event, no big deal if they make it right.  A very big deal indeed if they feel disinclined to step in because $200 gloves giving out in a couple of weeks is the breaks of the game.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »
Glad it wasnt serious.  Definitely update on how Held handles it, it could very well influence whether i purchase another pair.
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14