Author Topic: Guess this about Skill ? (maybe ignorance) - Harley on Curves  (Read 703 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Guess this about Skill ? (maybe ignorance) - Harley on Curves
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:20:41 am »
The guy can definitely sling that big H-D around.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »
Good riding.  I like how he recovered from the rear wheel sliding a bit and got right back on it.  Nice to see a big HD ridden with some enthusiasm.

Big HD's actually handle fairly well but run out of ground clearance and start grinding things almost as soon as you lean into the turn.  He was using body position to compensate as much as possible for that.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:52 pm »
Chris -- I agree on handling from watching (not ride experience as I never road one except on a test ride).
I was behind a couple guys on Harley's on Dragon one day and they were cuttin' it. Not that I am that good to push things, but it was enough for me to keep up.

As you say clearance is a problem --- I test rode a Harley 883 one time, took it out by myself. Made a simple leaned over turn at a 90 degree intersection where I had slowed (not stopped) waiting for an oncoming car to go by before turning. I drug the peg -- that peg sticks out about 6 inches it seemed to me.

I wasn't interested in buying to start with, just doing a free test ride. Dang sure was not interested in buying after that.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)