Author Topic: Rest of the week (AUG 16 thru 19th) - Events and Rides  (Read 452 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Rest of the week (AUG 16 thru 19th) - Events and Rides
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:26 pm »
EVENTS

1) HISTORY - Downtown Knoxville Saturday 10AM til 5PM -- as well as Farmers Market as usual on market Square (overpriced we have found).

HISTORY Part Includes: Music at WDVX; Abraham / Mary Lincoln, and Robert E Lee wandering around; Crafters spinning, blacksmithing, etc.; Vendors; FREE BUS TOURS of Blount Mansion / James White Fort / Mabry-Hazen House / and Bethel Cemetery;TOURS of Underground Gay Street;FREE East TN Museum on Gay Street - also some presentations there; too much to list.

Likely, Betty and I will go there - have done the houses and East TN Museum before, but would like to checkout Underground Gay Street.

2) Gatlinburg Songwriters Festival Aug 16 - 20 (6th Annual) at Dick's Last Resort (light 8) - Categories are Bluegrass, Gospel, Country, Folk, Inspirational Jazz/Blues, Pop, and Rock. The competition of three in each category have been selected from many competitions during the year. .

FREE STUFF at Various Places:
Hard to understand exactlty waht and where, seems to be at various places around the city (Park Vista Lounge, Crystelle Creek, Gatlinburg Inn, Dick's Resort, Courtyard Marriot, Draft's Sport bar, Ship Pub, Three jimmy's Eatery.

TICKET'ed stuff @ Glenstone Lodge:
FRI AUG 16 7PM  Songwriters Roundup $16.75 plus fees - Garth Brook songwriters tell their stories and sing, Jim Glasser (Do you have cheatin' on your mind), Bobby Tomberlin (One more day), Carrie Tillis is Mel's daughter, and three others (Tony, Victoria, Pat).
SAT Aug 17  Sylia (Nobody) at 4PM (doors at 3PM). $16.75 plus fees
SAT AUG 17  Con Hunley (Oh Girl) at 8PM (doors at 7PM). $23.75 plus fees

Best to check www.SMSWF.com and figure it out for yourself - I have done more effort than I wanted all ready. HA!

RIDES --- We shall see what weather brings Thursday and Sunday AM. Also, might try to checkout some of the FREE songwriters stuff if could only know what is where.

TUE & WED - Daughter is still here and plan to Kayak TUE AM. take her to airport WED AM.

THU showing 40% after 1PM  - would like to ride depending on weather -- so wait and see and decide where and when later. Maybe just the Gatlinburg thing.

FRI 40% all day, doubt I will ride unless to Gatlinburg event.

SAT -- Knoxville event.

SUN AM - Ride for sure. Maybe local Mtn Rides (3 or 5 of them).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:03:47 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Rest of the week (AUG 16 thru 19th) - Events and Rides
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:36:51 am »
I went to the History Fair last year and it was a fun event.  I'll definitely be going this year!
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Rest of the week (AUG 16 thru 19th) - Events and Rides
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:34:27 pm »
I plan to get there about 9:30AM and park in the garage on the street between TVA Building and Market Square.

Mainly want to check out Underground Gay Street. Have found out, it is what is left of the store fronts that were at ground level before the raised Gay Street up a full one story or more.

Other than that may check out the Music (I think at visitor center radio station at Gay and Summit), Farmers Market. I have been to every other place (bus tours of house and old grey cemetery before).

INFO on Underground

Underground Gay St resulted from raising Gay Street. So, it is old store fronts as you walk under present Gay Street. About all there is to it. Anyway, guess I will go to the history event SAT and check it out.

There are a number of videos on this link with history of old Knoxville and found one with a couple guys (one has on a red shirt) walking around down there. Some talk of opening it up again. Would be neat, I think.

Funny, you would think each video would have it's on ADDRESS, But I kept getting this same link when I copied. .

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=Gay+Street+Underground+Knoxville%2C+TN&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=AA8E37E5FFECCB10A729AA8E37E5FFECCB10A729&v_t=chstrip