Author Topic: Equifax Security Breach. WHAT TO DO?????  (Read 404 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Equifax Security Breach. WHAT TO DO?????
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:04:27 am »
Perhaps you have heard of the Equifax Security Breach affecting 143 million folks. Likely you, me, and folks we know are in that list. I became aware when son was visiting and saw it on TV this AM.  :groan

WHAT TO DO?

Per http://clark.com/  we need a Credit Freeze from all 3 Credit Agencies(Equifax, TranUnion, Experian). Credit Freeze apparently prevents anyone from opening an account getting credit in your name cause the Credit Agencies would be contacted and there would be no credit INFO provided. 

I am not a lawyer -- best I can do is refer you to the site http://clark.com/ for your information.

I tried calling Equifax --- no luck talking to anyone (guess millions of folks trying to do it).  I did get into a push button game and might have been able to set up a fraud alert (not sure that is the same as a freeze on credit).

A few ideas I got from http://clark.com/ as to how to get the Freeze set up. Basically, you can call (good luck as apparently there are millions of folks trying to set a freeze), you can mail a hard copy letter, you can go on their web sites and apply.  That said, there is too much INFO for me to type out details here. So, go to http://clark.com/ and look it up yourself.

I am trying to filter thru it. ANYONE FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT, Let me know? Any INFO appreciated.

EXPENSE:
Apparently as I have learned a Fraud Alert and a Credit Freeze both have fees (fee set by the state you live in -- I think TN is $10 plus $5 for a PIN). A PIN is needed to release Credit if you yourself are making a request). TOTAL:  Think for TN $10 plus $5 = $15 for each agency = $45. Then if you and spouse do it would be $90. TV and http://clark.com/ indicate have to do all 3 agencies.   

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Equifax Security Breach. WHAT TO DO?????
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:42 pm »
I have managed to set a Credit Freeze on two credit agencies (TransUnion & Equifax) for Mine and my Wife's name. NOTE: The agencies offer a Credit Lock -- I guess could go that route, but my son's wife has been involved with her job in this area and recommends a freeze. I guess it might depend on how often you will need a credit check (credit cards, home loans, rental checks by landlords, whatever, etc.) 

Experian has been the problem one so far. However, my niece in TX replied that she did it using their online form.

It requires some effort and patience because millions of folks are trying to put a Credit Freeze in place.  :groan

TransUnion I started the process on line and sent the form. Got a MSG back they could not do it and gave a phone Number to call. I called and waited a few minutes. Finally, someone came on (very hard to understand as talk was broken up, but finally cleared up about the time we were ready to give up and try again -- had a couple more times with broken conversations) and got the information he needed to set a Credit Freeze for me. I asked about my wife's and he said he could do that also. THEY will send confirming E Mails and the PIN NUMBER needed to remove the Credit Freeze (that in case you need to temporarily remove the freeze if you need credit). By the way, that was a $7.50 charge (TN rate - it varies with state).

EquifaxI was able to do both Mine and Wife's online. I sent the form in and mine went thru the first time. My wife's required a second attempt as first try did no go thru (got a MSG back saying could not do it and try again later). FREE with Equifax.  I had heard they were doing it free cause it was their security that was breached and caused all this uproar. 143 million folks records have been breached.

Experian  I submitted Mine and my Wife's online. It came back as could not do it and a recommendation to send it in by Snail Mail, Instructions listed the information needed and address to send it.
PS: I intend to try online again before using the snail mail.     
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:39:24 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:31 am »
That security breach is more than worrisome.  I went to the Equifax website and found out my info wasn't affected according to them but I can't say I'm all that impressed with their truthfulness after how they handled this problem and all their other recent ones.  I've been considering putting on my accounts as well just in case.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:31 am »
That security breach is more than worrisome.  I went to the Equifax website and found out my info wasn't affected according to them but I can't say I'm all that impressed with their truthfulness after how they handled this problem and all their other recent ones.  I've been considering putting on my accounts as well just in case.

I hear you can get different answers about 'affect on your information' by asking them more than once.

You will be happy to know, per an article a friend sent me that their CEO will be OK: >:D

I sent this bit out as an E Mail after reading the article.

I don't want anyone to worry about the leaders of our country's corporations (Execs) or our country's leaders (congress, administration, or justices) to be in peril. See Attached. 
PS: AL, you don't need to open Attached as it is what you sent me. Just thought I would pass it on to some folks. :-) 

Here area few paragraphs I pulled out of attached that sort of summarize the status of things.

Equifax doesn’t have the money to compensate you, or anything like it. If it were left to private-sector corporations to resolve this crisis, we’d be up the creek without a paddle. The credit-rating company has said as many as 143 million people may have had their personal and financial details, including Social Security numbers, stolen as a result of a massive hackers’ attack on its systems earlier this summer.

While Equifax doesn’t have a lot of money for potential victims, the accounts show that Smith (CEO Rick Smith) would walk away with at least $30 million if he is fired. That includes an $18.2 million accrued pension benefit, and possibly another $5 million in severance. But it also includes $13.2 million in the form of bonus stock that has recently vested. He got the bonus for doing such a great job. His compensation for the past three years has averaged $14 million a year.

It’s at times like this, as usual, that all those people who like to attack “big government” and praise the unregulated “free market” suddenly go into hiding. Would we better off if the Federal Trade Commission and Elizabeth Warren’s Consumer Financial Protection Bureau butted out of this crisis? Should we just leave it up to the board?

I never even asked these credit-rating clowns to start keeping their Stasi-like secret files on me. Nor did you. Equifax, TransUnion and Experian have gotten enormous power with almost no accountability whatsoever. The only way to avoid them is to avoid having any debt. No mortgage. No car payments. No credit card.

Now as a the result of corporate ineptitude, we may end up having to pay every month for a service to monitor our credit files for breaches, because they don’t have the money to cover the liabilities.