Author Topic: MotoAmerica races at Barber Motosports Park - Sep 16-18 - The Museum  (Read 433 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Ian and I went to the final MotoAmerica race of the season at Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham and had a great time.  The weather was good and not as hot as the races we had been to previously at Road Atlanta.  (I'm still working my way through the race and pits photos and should be posting them tomorrow. )   One nice thing about going to the races at Barber's is the Museum there which is simply the best in the world.  I suppose I should qualify that as I haven't been to every bike museum but I have been to some of the more famous ones such as the British Motorcycle Museum near Manchester in the UK and the Honda collection at Honda's Motegi racetrack north of Tokyo.  In that sort of elite company Barber's still shines.  And now it's even better as they've finished building an ambitious expansion to the building which gives the Museum almost twice as much display space.  The Museum has already put some of the space to good use by putting some new exhibits out.  The new exhibits pay a lot of attention to competition bikes and there's a wonderful new dirt bike display that is amazing.

Having the Barber Museum available was pretty nice as when we started getting too hot...off to the museum.  Equally, when it rained...off to the museum.  Pretty convenient!  Also, since the Museum is right next to the racetrack it was possible to watch the races while enjoying the air conditioning.

Here are some photos:

Colin Edwards 2002 AMA Championship winning racebike

Here's parts of the dirt bike exhibit I mentioned.  If you like dirt bikes you probablt have some old friends here.

Flat Track is represented too.  Here's Jay Springsteen's famous #9 XR750 Harley and others.

Drag Racers are there. Check out this very interesting Kawasaki H2 750cc 2 stroke from 1980.

Superbikes from the 80s.  (I like the first one...)

Or 80 years worth of Superbikes in one photo.

I don't know what this is but I was fascinated.

BMW had the right formula right from the beginning!  Flat twin motor with a shaft drive.

You just knew they'd have one of these.

And one of these.

But I bet you didn't think they'd have one of these on display:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:48:55 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
Re: MotoAmerica races at Barber Motosports Park - Sep 16-18 - The Museum
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:27 am »
I need to get back to see the expansion.  Love that they expanded the dirtbike selections. lots of familiar metal there..
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »
I been wondering when you (or Ian) would post about the trip.  :pop
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:10 am »
I been wondering when you (or Ian) would post about the trip.  :pop

It's been crazy busy around here lately.  Bike maintenance, house maintenance, yard maintenance...sheesh, this retirement thing is hard work!
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:28:48 am »
It's been crazy busy around here lately.  Bike maintenance, house maintenance, yard maintenance...sheesh, this retirement thing is hard work!
My cousin once retired use to say, "Gotta work hard at it or someone will beat you out of the job."   ;)
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
I think I need to put this on my places to see list.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »
I think I need to put this on my places to see list.

You should indeed! As I type this we are actually on our way down there for the Barber Vintage Festival. A fantastic celebration of all things old and motorcycle.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
Sounds good.Maybe I can tag along sometime.Enjoy your trip.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.