Author Topic: PAULRIDES Oct 14 - Devil Triangle(GeneralStore) & Potter Falls with Dockery Gang  (Read 335 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Met Eric at Pilot on Merchant about 9:20AM, Pete and Mike showed up a little later, then came the brother (Mike), and Cuz (Gregg) -- if I have the names correct? We left there about 9:55AM for a D T Run.

Took some backroads to Norris, thru a street with some of the nice little cottages, then a road along the dam tail waters (lot of trout fishermen on the river) to Rocky Top. Quick stop at Rocky Top Weigel's for a break. Then Hwy 116 to Devil Triangle, included a stop at the General Store at Charlie's Branch. 

We discussed Potters Falls, a couple folks hand never been there - so we did that. Just took Hwy 62 to Wartburg, back down Potters Road to the Falls and one of my favorite backroads over to Hwy 27.

A few miles on Hwy 27 led to Fairview Road, to Bac Valley Road, to Hwy 62, bypass Oliver Springs and stopped at a BBQ south of O S. I split there and the guys went in for BBQ at about 1:30PM.

Don't know where they went after that, I went home and got there about 2:30PM (think 180 miles RT).

PICTURE Story
Rough Bunch - DOCKERY GANG --- Mike, Pete, Eric, Gregg (Cuz), Mike (Bro). At least only one other full blooded Dockery besides Eric. Had Tracy been there also (3 of 'em together) - might be best to go back home and avoid trouble.  :34 

A backroad route to Norris and Rocky Top.

Love the little cottages in Norris Community -- I reckon many are from late 1940s and 1950s.

Turn off to Tailwaters (River Road is here). Sheriff looking for Hells Angels -- sorry, we are just a bunch of angels.

Several Trout Fishermen were out SAT AM. Barely see some of them in the picture.

Quick Break (?) Saddle Up Head 'em Out.  ;D

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Moving on to DT and General Store.

I call the start of Devil Triangle where 116 turns north at Jct of Hwy 330. I am not sure how it got the word "Triangle" as only two sides show up getting to Hwy 62. However, I think it includes the trip back from Hwy 62 to Oliver Springs and east on Hwy 330 to jct of Hwy 116 (where I consider the DT starts if coming from the east - Rocky top).

PICTURE Story

Leaving Rocky Top - the old brick building and then a church scene on Hwy 116 heading west to DT.

Anyway, we are on it here.

A couple of the guys had not ridden the D T before. All went well and spacing was good (was all day as much as I could se behind me). Except maybe on a couple real curvy sections (where the three or four switchbacks (10mph stuff) are located. Seems people always want to bunch up at the worst time.

One of the several 10 mph switchbacks show up on the GPS Picture.

And, there it is.

Crossing the bridge at River after RR Track - Gen Store is a mile or so west.

It is worth a trip to the bathroom (need a bath) - be careful of the stairs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:59:59 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
The rest of the D T and then Potter Falls.

PICTURE Story

Hope this guy turns off soon - 35 mph  :groan and not a place for 6 bikes to pass. He did turn off after about 2 miles.

Sad ending to an industry --- but nice no coal dust and trucks on the Devil Triangle. Like a Friend Said, "They don't make Buggy Whips Anymore Either.'

One of the best parts of the D T is ahead.  :happyrider UP a MTN and back DOWN the MTN.

Wartburg, a church on way to Potter Falls.

The Dockery Gang looks pretty good or is it the Waterfall background.  ;)

Two Dockerys (Eric and Mike - Bros) and a Cuz (Gregg). If I got the names correct.

Tailwater View -- Saddle UP and Head 'Em Out -- Eric switched rides with Bro Mike (Scooter for Harley) - so, quick lesson on Scooter Operation, it works better with Emergency Brake Off.  :banghead 

Moving on to BBQ via a backroad out of Potter Falls area is one of my favorite sections (Dipsy Do  Roller Coasters, 4 of them). Good spacing back there guys.  :) Gregg switched to 2nd place as Mike was riding Eric's Scooter in 3rd place.

Hwy 27 to Fairview to Black Valley to Hwy 62 thru Oliver Springs to BBQ.

OK -- Guess Scooter survived a Harley Rider.  :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:16:37 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Wow..what a great ride and good turn out. 

That bathroom doesn't look promising...

Thanks for posting this Paul!
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Late response here as was on a camp (VAN) and ride (hauled the Scooter) to VA (Philpott Lake Saltbranch Corp Engr Campground) for a TUE afternoon ride, WED and THU all day Ride, and FRI AM ride before hauling back home. 524 mile RT Haul and 708 miles of riding.

Some great roads, some too straight roads (all with great VA scenery), and some history stops (D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA, Appomatox Court House, a couple Lake Dams (Smith Mtn Lake & Phillpott Lake),  James River Footbridge and Natural Bridge, VA. Some destination -- but It is not the destination, it is the ride.  :happypep

One problem was ran behind schedule every ride and got back to camp at very near dark (not crazy about that dark riding in deer country). Saw at least 6 deer while up that way.

I took 300+ pictures -- too many to post here. I did put out E Mails to my Rider List with most of them). Maybe Post a short report.

Eric's bunch -- he asked me if I wanted to go and lead it.

Not many riders with me anymore. Had some in past (sometimes too many). I am not into planning rides for others very often (can't ride this or that road, can't go this fast or that slow, want to stop and eat and BS for hours). in other words I just ride and anyone that is interested in going along is welcome. AS LONG AS THEY CAN COUNT TO 3 and stay back 3 seconds. Not many can.  :groan