Author Topic: PAULRIDES Oct 17 to 20 Includes a Haul 524 miles to camp in VA for 708 mile ride  (Read 487 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
My annual Camp (Mini-Van as Tent) and Ride (hauled a 2 wheeler, Scooter this trip) that has not been annual (missed last year). 524 mile haul RT and 708 mile of rides (RT I guess as I went from and back to camp).

Wife gripes and I ignore. Mostly that works.  :banghead

I was camped NW of Martinsville say 15 or 2 miles) at Philpott Lake Saltbranch Corp Engr Campground ($12.50 a night with old folks Golden Eagle Pass for site, E and W, and bathhouse near by). No TV Cable, No TV over air (some sites at higher elevation pick up signal), and No Internet. I did have SmartPhone connection so could get E Mail.

Weather was GREAT Sunshine everyday and no early fog (cold though at low 40s every night and at ride start).

Had some destinations rides: History (Appomattox Courthouse, D-Day Memorial at Bedford, VA), Lake Dams (Smith Mtn Lake with nice visitor center and over look, and Philpott Lake), Attractions (James River Footbridge was old RR Bridge, and Natural Bridge, VA where I settled for the Visitor Center and pictures of pictures and an overlook ride up a gravel road that did not have an overlook).

Also a bunch of roads (PAULRIDE Roads, and too many straight Big Bike Riders roads).  :banghead).

BY THE WAY  ----  It is not the destination, it is the ride.  :happyrider

No Matter - the main thing is a good ride and I had one by definition as MADE IT HOME SAFE. 

So, it would take 4 ride reports (one for each day with a post and 4 replies to report all this). TOO MUCH.
 :groan I will try to present a summary; This Post & 6 Replies. Saving 6 replies.

PICTURE Story

Drive to camp, my camp setup and computer setup (saved pictures from each day into the laptop), and view of lake boat ramp close to my camp (sunset view as I barely made it home before dark after the 3rd day ride).

Roads to and from Camp Site -- pretty much is Knob Church Rd, to Henry Rd as only way out (couple other routes to Henry Rd. Everything leads to Henry Rd and then go N to Hwy 40 or S to Hwy 220. Reverse when coming back. Anyway, show a few of those roads as they were my type.  :happyrider

Return to camp later than I should be as getting dark (nice sunset though) via Hwy 220 (4 lane) to Henry Rd (major 2 lane that I went north on earlier to Hwy 40, to Knob Church Rd, to camp. 

That covers In and Out of Camp and camp setup. Try not to repeat that.

Now show part of the DAY 1 Afternoon Ride - Start with Calloway RD GPS Picture (ended at 150 miles and back at near dark 7:00PM). Went as far north as Salem / Roanoke area and headed back to Camp by more major roads. Had some good roads going.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:49:18 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Rest of Day 1 afternoon ride. Best road is coming up (GPS Picture).

PICTURE Story

Smythe Rd (next 5 pictures) the road leads into Salem, VA.

Ran thru Salem after a break for bathroom and gas, then a high area (cemetery) for a view.

Took I-81 and I-581 to Goodview Rd for the start route home. Spotted a memorial and took a quick look. 

Took a side trip (dead end) to a marina. Rode was a PAULRID Road, but not much of a marina. 

Time to wrap up DAY 1 Ride with some scenic pictures (some on straight roads) and the final near dark into Camp with start return with Goodview Rd GPS view.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:25:51 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 2 Ride got a late start as I had a talk with wife about a home problem and then left without my camera and had to come back to camp (finally got out at 9:30AM). No wonder I was late getting back again (near dark).

It was a long day ride to start with at 256 miles and stops at Destinations (Smith Mtn Lake Dam, Civil War Museum at Appomattox, and Appomattox Courthouse). I spent a lot more time at the Courthouse than anticipated, so that made it later yet.

Fortunately, I had set straight roads back to camp (most of it), but also went too far south. Some nice scenery in VA on straight roads, but I prefer some PAULRIDES Roads.  :happyrider

The roads near Smith Mtn Lake Dam and around the Lake were some favorites (as good as the ones around camp). As a matter of fact I planned the route around the lake for Day 3 also to get to the north (not to many routes around a lake anyway). 

It is the Ride, not the Destination  :happyrider-- That said, the Appomattox Destination was worth the trip.

PICTURE Story

Start pictures in the area of Smith Mtn Lake on the way to the S M Dam Visitor Center and Overlook (both are nice).

I made a detour to see a lake area (turned out not worth the trip but I did telephoto in on the lake between trailers).

Moving on to a church and cemetery where I turned to get onto the better roads (more like PAULRIDES Roads) that go to Smith Mtn Dam (Visitor Center and Overlook).

The Visitor center is nicely done -- One display is a Video Demo of a Pump Power Setup that uses a Dam at Smith Mtn Lake to feed a basin of another Dam that then flows into Leesville Lake. Both Dams generate Electricity using the water from S M Lake. Then the water is pumped back thru the Dams to refill water used from Smith Mountain Lake. I show a picture of that setup. 

Then a panorama from the Overlook which show it is above the Visitor Center (on left) and shows the tailwaters and the Dam. Note: The picture that shows the parts of the dam (#'s and Description). 

A ramp provides access to the Overlook.

Then the ride back down to the tailwaters. That is a nice ride as was the ride up.  :happypep
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:00:31 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 2 Con't as I rdie around the lake on the way to Appomattox, VA. Hit some straight roads with nice scenery, show a little is enough type thing. Hopefully, get the Appomattox visit (Civil War Museum and Courthouse)  completed in this reply.

PICTURE Story

Start with some of the better roads around the lake.

Get to some straight scenic roads.

Then get to Appomattox (Civil War Museum is a FEE and I did not have time to make it worth while, so I rushed thru the lobby and took a couple pictures -- the RR Bridge was needed as a supply route by the Rebels).

Moving on east to Appomattox Courthouse, spotted a turnout for Grant's Headquarters and stopped fr a couple pictures. One is Grant writing out the terms of surrender (very generous considering the act of treason of starting a war with the USA).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:17:06 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 2 Con't with the visit at Appomattox.

PICTURE Story

Show the area as it was and is (restored - mostly complete new construction as shown by the picture of BEFORE restoring).

The Courthouse is the Visitor Center and has a video that shows the battle sequence (worth seeing).

Merchandise Store and some contents typical of the day.

A Confederate Soldier telling his feelings about the surrender. He thought they might be shot or hung as traitors for treason and was happy that Grant offered Peace. Required they never take up arms against the USA, and allowed them to keep side arms, horses needed for farming at home, and had passes printed to carry on their way home. 

Appomattox developed from the settlement of Clover Hill, a stop along the Richmond - Lynchburg Stage Road. Clover Hill was a few houses around the Tavern. Appomattox formed in 1845 and the town was renamed Appomattox Courthouse.  NOTE the picture with print presses -- the confederates were given printed passes to be used on their return to homes.

The McClean House where the treaty was signed (Lee's Pick for the meeting) is nicely restored and furnuished with Slave Quarters also restored.

Then a final over the shoulder (RR Depot) as I left town for the trip to Camp.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:40:20 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 2 Con't -- part of the trip to Camp was long and straight with one PAULRIDES Road (gravel shortcut).

PICTURE Story for the rest of the trip home.

Just roads and scenery and sunset (near dark), but made it to camp and only saw 2 Deer ahead that figured they had all night to walk across the road.

One good PAULRIDES Road (a shortcut from one Hwy to another that had some gravel and a curious bunch of cows when I stopped to change camera batteries).

Then start Day 3 -- A ride that included Phillbott Dam, Bedford D-Day Memorial (only did the City Visitor Center display of the D-Day Memorial, James River Footbridge (original a RR Bridge), and Natural Bridge (only did the Visitor Center).

PICTURE Story

The early first part of the route included the road to bottom of Philpott Dam and was a favorite of the trip. Gravel Road that dropped off the GPS system as you get near the dam. It is on the north side of the river.

State Maintenance ends and you eventually park and walk to the bottom of the dam (tall and narrow Dam).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:02:01 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 3 Con't from ZPhillpott Dam to a break at a HARDEE's for coffee (I left camp at 7:50AM and did not have coffee). Looked the same as Seymour HARDEE's -- some gents having coffee and a BS Session.

PICTURE Story

Ride out from the Dam was also good, surprised to see a RV Park back on this road  (near the house seen on the way in).

A flock of Turkey that did not know where to go. Some started up the steep slope and others let me ride by. 

HARDEE's and then move on toward Smith Mtn Lake roads (gonna skip that except for a few new scenic views).

Come to a road block at a RR Track Crossing with a couple old deserted buildings ahead (the GPS did not know about this). The main road is about a block to my right. Moved over there to head for Bedford, VA.

Stopped for a break at the Visitor Center and to ask about the D-Day Memorial.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:16:30 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 3 Con't at Bedford City Visitor Center (very nice one). I found out there is a fee to go into the outdoor D-Day memorial for a tour (takes like an hour). Did not ahve time and decided not to pay, just took a look around the Visitor Center.

PICTURE Story

A very nice Visitor Center that also has info on Bedford and a small display of the D-Day Memorial as well as a Video of the invasion.

Then made a loop thru downtown and a TACO BELL lunch stop.

Next stop at Power Plant near the James River Bridge. Can't get on the platform at Power Plant -- so stck camera lens thru the fence to picture the waterfall.

Moved on and came to a Blue Ridge Parkway on ramp -- went up to take a River Picture and returned to original route (heading to James River Bridge).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:32:47 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Day 3 Con't -- James River Footbridge and Natural Bridge stops.

PICTURE Story

Picture of the Footbridge taken on the trail that goes to the bridge (trail is at east end of parking lot and goes under the existing RR Track).  There are no signs to tell you anything -- none on the Hwy and none in the parking lot -- all you see is a fence keeping you away from the RR Track and the Footbridge - so look for the trail at end of the parking lot).

Two pictures taken on the bridge -- First  looks down toward the RR Bridge and the waterfall seen earlier. Second looks at the trail under the RR Track you use to get to the Footbridge.

Moving on down the road (good MC Road) toward Natural Bridge, VA.

At Natural Bridge Parking looking at the Hotel. Went into the Visitor Center and took a few pictures (not time to pay a fee and do the Natural Bridge, so took pictures of pictures).

Glad I did not meet that bear or one like it (2 foot taller than me) -- 9mm would likely not help. 

I also went up what I thought was a road to an Overlook -- NOT an Overlook, just a rough road getting up there and back (steep, gravel, and a little rough).

Headed to Camp and last picture is as I went by Roanoke on I-581. Got to hwy 220 and figured I would get to camp by 6PM or so. DANG wreck ahead and did 8 miles in an hour (late near dark again).

No More Day 3 Pictures.  :pop

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:49:06 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
That Brings us to the last day.
DAY 4 was a short early 8AM to 10:30AM Ride (Scooter) on one of the best routes for roads. Then load up and head home in the Van.

l stopped at a Country Store for a Coffee, Frozen Biscuit / Sausage, and Bathroom, and listen to a HARDEE's type bunch gathered at store front. Also, saw a hunter bring in a 150 pound black bear for tagging.

PICTURE Story I liked and you will like. Took 90 pictures, but only going to post 20+,  skip the routine roads from and to campground.

Roads traveled were to Henry Road, to Hwy 40w, to Iron Bridge, to Fairystone Park, to Henry and the store, then to Camp.

There was a steel bridge that caught my eye (off route I went - road ended just after the bridge at private property).

I like the signs warning truck -- means good ride ahead.

Made the loop and ended back at the store. Killed Bear in truck.

Took one side loop off of Henry rd as I was heading back to Camp. Cow need to get back in a pasture (it kept an eye on me).

Heading home in the VAN -- if had time would unload Scooter and ride this one.

Making time now -- got home at 5:30PM
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:43:49 am by PAULRIDES »