Author Topic: Ride to the Foothills Pkwy and Gap for lunch  (Read 343 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Ride to the Foothills Pkwy and Gap for lunch
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
Yesterday Rose and I thought we'd take a ride up to the Foothills Parkway to check on how the fall leaves were developing and then off to the diner at the Gap for lunch.  The view from the parkway was gorgeous as always and the leaves are coming along but still have a ways to go before they really get colorful.  The ride was a relaxed affair with me taking it fairly easy out of deference to Rose's still problematic back issues.  Still, even with me keeping speeds down I still had fun banking into the turns and managed to scrub in the tread on both tires all the way across...no chicken strips here!  I also managed to grind hard parts on both sides and found that on this model Beemer the center stand legs grind first.   So now my center stand has matching right and left shiny flat spots on the legs.  Great fun and I was reminded again how experienced and trusting my passenger is when her only comment to the grinding was to wonder if it was the exhaust or undercarriage that was touching down.

When we got to the Gap we found the diner crowded and lots and lots of bikes and trikes in the lot.  The burgers were great and I dug my Deals Gap coffee mug out of the saddlebags to get that free coffee.  After eating we wandered around looking at what was for sale and chatting with folks.  I enjoyed meeting a young fella on an older Gold Wing who had picked the bike up in Arizona and was heading home to Philadelphia I think.  It was his first big transcontinental bike trip and his first visit to the Gap and he was enjoying himself hugely.  I warned him that based on my 25 year relationship with Deal's Gap he could plan on being a return visitor. 

After leaving the CROT we had a nice ride home with more tire scrubbing on the way down the hill.  Everybody seemed to be on their best behavior on the road today with folks using the pull offs to let us by and waving thanks when we did the same for faster traffic.  A good day and a good ride and best of all, Rose's back didn't complain too much so the prospect of more rides with the frau is opening up.

Here are some photos:

Seasonal dragon

next stop: Philadelphia

Rose doesn't wear that grey riding jacket often.  We could tell by finding 1750 yen in change in the pockets.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:34:11 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Ride to the Foothills Pkwy and Gap for lunch
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:56 pm »
Sounds like a fun day
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »
Nice day.  :happypep :yw

Going out THU with Jackie and meeting TerrE (at pilot on Merchnats). Do a few roads along north side of Norris and Helms Ferry back.

Start late (scheduled for 10:30AM, might leave a little early)1from Seymour McD as cold day ahead.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:15 am »
That guy has an idea I never thought of.Buy a bike on one side of the country,ride it home and sell.Cross country ride in comfort and light quick bike for town. https://www.facebook.com/groups/goldwingparts/?multi_permalinks=1998489343761786&notif_id=1509188507729200&notif_t=commerce_interesting_product
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.