Author Topic: 2018 Goldwing --- Dang what a Machine  (Read 396 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
2018 Goldwing --- Dang what a Machine
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/first-look-2018-honda-gold-wing-and-gold-wing-tour.html

What a Machine ---- Tour Away (not sure how it would be on My Roads). Front Suspension is a Big Change and Lot of new TECHIE Stuff. Shorter Engine (29MM ain't much, but guess it helps).Starter and Alternator combined.  Bike 80 pounds less.

Also have two models  - Touring has it all, Standard has nearly all and can add rear box. (or take rear box off Touring).

Watch the VIDEO ---  Have to be impressed.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: 2018 Goldwing --- Dang what a Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:24 pm »
Very, very impressive. I wondered what Honda had up its sleeve to confront the new touring offering by Yamaha. Now I know.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:55:57 am »
I think it looks good and will be a great bike.Right the goldwing boards i'm on are lit up with complaints on it being smaller and the smaller gas tank.The no key thing is not me at all but the rest I can live with.Yes I know no key is the way everything is going but I just don't like it.I'm not a techie but I do think its a good bike that should be a win for Honda and shows how they seem to a step above in their designs.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:01 am »
That's quite an upgrade.  I would think it's probably an improvement in every way but we'll know for sure when we hear about how it fares in a storm outside Pine Bluff AR or how it's riders feel after 14 hours in the saddle getting to Winslow AZ.

I found the front suspension very interesting as I wouldn't have expected a return to girder forks would be seen as a leap forward in technology.  I do think it'll handle better under braking thanks to the change.

Boy, it sure looks a lot smaller!  And that's a good thing.

It just occurred to me that Yellow Wolf has got to get his hands on one of these!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:08:35 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:13 pm »
I never rode one but i'm told the current 1800 front sucks.It is not particularly liked by the trike folks.Strange setup but I don't remember what.It was one one of the more hoped for changes so we will see how it works out.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:16:02 am »
Id like to have one someday.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
Southern Biker Magazine has an article on the new Goldwing with pictures and information.

A beautiful red with black and white highlights. Based on their comments, that thing has to be a great ride.

I am not an expert on GOLDWINGs, only rode one or two a short distance and was not doing any real performance testing when I did. I was impressed with the power, smoothness, quietness, comfort, and about everything else one can think of on those (1800 models).

I am not interested in touring or long trips, if I were would have to give the GOLDWING the first choice. Article said starting at $23,500.

I would never buy one for my kind of rides which includes some adventure and plenty of Pig Path Roads.