Author Topic: PAULRIDES Oct 26 - Loop Backroads N of Lake Norris & Helms Ferry return Home  (Read 416 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Met Jackie at Seymour McD about 10:20AM and we left shortly after to meet TerrE at Pilot (Xit 108 of I-75)

Took some backroads to Hwy 441, then thru residential area of Norris community, then River Rd (tail waters of the dam) to Rocky Top for Hwy 116 to Hwy 25W.  Then a break at McD (Jacksboro) and then the good roads ( a loop off of Hwy 25W - 63 ) back to Old Middlesboro Road to Speedwell.

Stopped at General Dollar to check if Helms Ferry was operating. It Was, so Jackie and I took that to get to Hwy 33, to Hwy 61, to Blaine at 11W and home from there. I dropped by Mtn Mtr Sport as has been sometime since I had been there. No reason, just a look around.

TerrE split at Speedwell General Dollar for a return home (I guess part of I-75 at Carryville).

It has been awhile since I rode the roads N of Lake Norris (some of the best around - my opinion) and we skipped a couple interesting ones (involve some gravel) cause did not want TerrE to get his Big Bike DIRTY. :-)

PICTURE Story for a Beautiful Clear Day.

Couple pictures before we met TerrE at Xit 108 of I-75 (PILOT)

Backroads to Hwy 441 then to Norris residential area.

Love those little 1940 / 1950s looking cottages.

Running River Rd (Tailwaters of Norris Dam) to Rocky Top to pick up Hwy 116 to Carryville, then to McD at Jacksboro (bathroom break, and a bite to eat -- about 12PM).

Getting ready to leave -- Saddle Up & Head 'EM Out.

The good roads include a 1%'ers Hood (says No Trespassing - Private Hood).
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Circled thru the 1%'ers Hood (E Mail 1 of 4) and headed back the way we came to Sugar Hollow for the rest of the backroad loop N of lake Norris. I LIKE IT.

PICTURE Story

We are on Demory heading to Sugar Hollow.

Made it -- now on Sugar Hollow.

DANG - a nice road and caught a Puickup Pulling a trailer with hay bales and a tractor on the trailer (slow).
Passed first chance we had (up a hill on a double). Rest was good ride roads and scenic. :-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:54:22 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
We arrived at what could be called a Destination - a very scenic view spot (still, it's the ride not the destination).  :happyrider

I think SCENIC and a clear day it was.

PICTURE Story

TerrE took this picture of u at arrival. .

I took this of the valley below and ridge to the north.

I made a 3 picture panorama (spoiled a bit by the big what - ant Hills?).

TerrE took these two long Panoramas.

He made the panorama from the other side of the fence and missed the Ant hills. Nearly lost it coming back over the fence.  OUCH that hurts (jumping fence not good idea, but missed the Ant Hills). :banghead

I took this looking south (see Smoky Mtn Park Range (two very dim looking peaks in middle of the picture). They were more clear to the eye. That is a long way south of us.

Then we got to "Saddle 'EM Up and Headed 'EM Out".  :happyrider

Continue down the MTN (What Goes Up -- Comes Down).

Ran the valley (Old Middlesboro Rd to Speedwell Dollar General). TerrE split for home shortly after  this picture. Jackie and I headed for Helms Ferry as our route home. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:05:27 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Heading to Helms Ferry from Dollar General at Speedwell.

Still a pretty rough road (character road), but the first part has been covered with Tar and Chat recently (pretty well packed except the edges are piled up chat).

PICTURE Story

Straight Branch Rd remains as has been (rough ride mostly 1 1/4 lane). I did not take pictures of the tar / chat road or Straight Branch (except for a one water scene and one curve scene -- that part was pretty smooth).

The Helms Ferry was on the south side -- had to wait for it to come to the north side to pick us up.

The road up the hill after exit ferry on the south side heading south is gravel and steep, but an easy ride.   

Eventually end up on Leadmine Rd (after the route from the ferry).

Still on the ferry road here (over the shoulder shot of Jackie).

Leadmine Road has some good valley scenery.

THAT's ALL FOLKS !!!!!  until next time  :pop
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:11:43 am by PAULRIDES »