Author Topic: Dual Clutch Automatics - Car Article, maybe related to MCs as well?  (Read 358 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Lot of discussion on NIRO FORUM about operation (surging, quick acceleration at take offs from stop or slow speeds like when slowing moving into your garage). I notice it and just Live With It (not a big issue as long as the reason is know and hopefully no major breakdowns ahead).

BTW, Own a NIRO since FEB )2017 EX Model with one TECH Upgrade) and like it. FUELLY avearge on mine is  right at 52 MPG (mostly local driving - county roads 35MPH to 55MPH and a little in town like Sevierville, Seymour, Knoxville type in town). 

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151207/OEM06/312079988/once-promising-dual-clutch-transmissions-lose-favor-in-u.s

My understanding from the above article (anybody know more -- let me know).  One reason DCT is more efficient and better is there is not a Torque Converter like with normal automatics (so it is more like a manual transmission with a clutch). Torque Converters smooth the operation on a conventional transmission and also use up some energy (not 100% energy transfer thru them). So, Dual Clutch (two gear boxes, one for even and one for odd number gears), does not have a Torque Converter (except I think article said Honda added one) coupled by two clutches makes shifting quicker as the next gear to be used is all ready connected and it's a matter of the clutch connection.

AT LEAST THAT is the way I understand it.

SO ADVANTAGES are --- Quicker shifting and better MPG cause don't have the Torque Converter. 

The article discusses some reliability problems (more with some MFG that with others), and the resulting drop in popularity of the DC Transmission. 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)