Author Topic: PAULRIDES Nov 2 - Loop Hiawassee,GA & nearby Bell Mtn (Beautiful Mtn View)  (Read 249 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Jackie responded he was good to go THU. So, I planned a ride to GA (Loop Hiawassee, GA & Lake). While planning, I saw Bell MTN on GOOGLE Maps and thought that looks like a bit of adventure.

Bell Mtn turned out the best destination in sometime (my opinion) and there is a bit of adventure because the road up to the peak is steep and narrow. It is paved and I am not sure I would want to ride it if not paved (maybe if well packed gravel would be OK - maybe a bit worse than Walden Ridge gravel road). 

Met Jackie at EXXON (Boyds Creek) for 8AM departure. Had good temperatures all day (50F at start, 50F low going over Newfound Gap, and high of 70F for the day. We had a bit of cloud cover at times, but the sky was clear when it needed to be (Bell Mtn Views). Fall colors have arrived at least for a good part of the route --- you know overall, the Foothills parkway is hard to beat for Fall colors because there is a good deal of red in those hills. 

Anyway, it was 273 miles RT house to house for me -- we left just before 8AM and was back at Seymour Weigel's at a bit after 4PM (BTW -- The Lil Scooter averaged 68MPG). I LIKE THAT SCOOTER --- I upped the gearing by using 19 GM Sliders Vs 18 GM Rollers when I changed the belt at 20K Miles (now has over 54K Miles), could have used a bit lower gearing on Bell Mtn. It was not a panic situation as it pulled OK (just saying, lower gearing would have been better on the steep switchbacks with a narrow road that requires slowing down to make sure no oncoming traffic.

I would have had problems on the CB500X as I also upped the gearing on it and it is weak at 5 mph range (lugs along).

BELL MTN first as it was a HIGHLIGHT of the ride (My Opinion).

Show the road leading to Bell Mtn -- have to get there before you can see the views. :-)
Shake Rag Rd south of Hiawassee is the route.

Crossing a finger of the lake (seen on GPS Picture) before reaching Shake Rag Rd.

Nice view on Shake Rag Rd.

The adventure part of the route (road) to Bell Mtn. I am glad we did not meet anyone coming down -- figured there would not be anyone else up there, but there were three cars. So, be aware - very easily could be oncoming traffic. Some curves do have a slightly wider area before the curve (pullouts) -- I advice using that to get a look around the curve. 

The warning sign says - Narrow Lane Road -- Watch for Pullouts.
I say, "HOPE THERE IS ONE IF NEEDED". 

Made it to the parking lot. The Rock Painting adds to the place (I think).
The rule is NO PAINTING on Walks or Pavement -- for the most part they don't, but always some violators.
NOTE: Steps up to viewing platforms -- I did 'em (picture by Jackie). Jackie stayed down in parking lot (BSing). :pop

Dedicated to Hal Herrin -- Herrin Estate donated Bell Mtn to prevent private development. NICE.

I made several Panoramas (BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR IT). Panorama is combination of 2 or 3 pictures (one was 4 pictures). First one is from the parking lot looking north at the lake and town, a 3 picture.

Same thing, but from the top of the MTN. 

This one (2 picture I think) is looking E of N - see edge of a Mtn top view platform. 

I think another 3 picture from top of Mtn -- include parking lot. that be Jackie at passenger side rear of folks car (they were from FL, but have a place at Hiwassee also).

Add a couple non-panorama pictures taken from Mtn top. They show more detail as the panoramas get
reduced in size.  then AOL optimizes (smaler yet) for pictures placed in E Mail text.

OK time to hit the road -- trip down MTN was actually easier than coming up even though have to use brakes a lot on the Scooter as the centrifugal clutch drops out at about 7 to 10 MPH (You get No Engine Braking), and I'm not going down this road at speeds above that.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Nov 2 - Loop Hiawassee,GA & nearby Bell Mtn (Beautiful Mtn View)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:46:03 pm »
I met Jackie for 8AM depart (actually left a bit before 8AM).

It was a main road ride (except Bell MTN) using Newfound Gap to Cherokee to Franklin (McD break and the DANG Men's Bathroom Stool was out of order - panic). Moved on to Hiwassee and Bell Mtn (Sent that in E Mail 1 of 4), headed back to Hwy 129 to Deals Gap, then the Dragon to Foothills (best fall colors of all as lot of reds), but had some good color on Hwy 64 and other areas.

PICTURE Story

Ghostly start (light ground fog) following Halloween.

Had a nice sunrise, did not get a great picture of it on Boyds Creek Rd.   

How often do you see this on Hwy 66 at some after 8AM.

Gatlinburg Bypass -- nice view and manage to get a good picture (my opinion).

Trip over Newfound Gap was not too bad --- a couple slow poke delays, but overall made good time to Cherokee and to Franklin, NC (first break at Franklin McD on Hwy 441 -- broken stool in Men's Room - GROAN)

Interesting view of Chimney Peaks before we got there. By The Way, that is where the fires were started by the two teenagers last year (so far no charges against them). HMMM 

Color OK on TN side at lower elevations -- better overall on NC side of the Mtns.

Travel to Cherokee is SOUTH -- sometimes hard to know that.

Moving on after Cherokee - Hwy 441 to Franklin and Hwy 64 to Hiwassee (took Hwy 175 off of Hwy 64 into town).  Gonna see some DGS&FC (Dang Good Scenery and Fall Color).

On Hwy 64 heading to Hwy 175 (at Hiwassee). Picked up some temporary overcast - dulled the fall colors.

Stopped at an overlook and took two pictures to make a panorama.

Continue on Hwy 64 to Hwy 175 --- sun cooperating a bit.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:55:03 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:46:16 pm »
Getting to Hiwassee, GA (town) -- then to Bell Mtn (all ready covered in original Post - so, skip that).

PICTURE Story

Made it to Hwy 175 and traveled to town (Main Street) to get to Shake Rag Rd (route to Bell Mtn).

Start of the route to Bell Mtn, one picture at Bell Mtn, and one picture heading down Bell Mtn  (Repeat Post 1 -- so you know where we are). one which was in 1 of 4 E Mail).

After Bell MTN (which was in Original Post) heading out of Hiawassee for a route to Hwy 129 to Deals Gap.

Near 1PM (on schedule I think) and 70F (the other main temperature).  :pop

Heading to Hwy 129 -- not there yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:14:38 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
Continue on road to Hwy 129 and then part of Hwy 129 to Deals Gap, then the Dragon and on to Foothills Parkway (best Fall Color is on Foothills).

PICTURE Story

Continue to Hwy 129 then to Deals Gap on Hwy 129. Pretty good point and shoot cross shoulder shot of the dam.

Short break at Deals Gap, not much traffic there today (surprised as such a nice day). There were several sport cars doing their thing.  Jackie sent a picture of me -- that is his red Honda NC700X. 

I think that would be a FUN RIDE (not sure I would be good enough to appreciate it's capability - lean angle).  It is a Suzuki 400 cc around $7000 I understand. Reckon not ride too far with that seat. Plenty ground clearance for dirt trails. I could lower it a few inches and be OK for my gravel roads (not trails). I don't need all that ground clearance.

Dragon in full Fall Color.

Foothills Parkway is best color of all (more reds). Took this picture as saw Lookout Tower on top of that MTN ahead. Barely see it in this picture (look closely).

View to NE from Foothills Overlook.

View to SE from Foothills Overlook.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS !!!!! Until next time.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:12:24 pm by PAULRIDES »