Author Topic: PAULRIDES Nov 9 - Loop to Oakdale / Harriman Area ("New" Roads in Area)  (Read 390 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Met Jackie at Seymour McD 9:15AM hoping it would be decent to rdie by then. It was still misty rain and wet roads. So, we hung around McD with the local group (BS Sessions) until 10AM.

Mist pretty well gone, but still cloudy and roads were wet or at least very damp. Roads dried out and skies cleared as we got on the Pellissippi Parkway (about 30 MIN later) to go to Academy Sport.

Academy because I wanted to see if they had the Heritage Pistol in store that was on sale on web site. They did not have one at that store and all other Heritages were at maximum Retail Price. Anyway, skies cleared and all was good the rest of the ride.

I did 183 Miles R/T House to House and home about 4:30PM after running by Bud's Guns to check on the pistol. (still got my yard mowing done  :pop). Love It When a Plan Comes Together.

I ran by Bud's Guns after leaving Jackie (extra 12 miles) and found the pistol at best price yet. List is $179 (price at Academy & Bass Pro), $129 (price at Knifeworks and Floyds Gun & Golf), $119 (price at  Bud's + you get a free 1/2 hour range to break it in).  :)

In past I have found Bud's to be from reasonable to over priced. Now seeing some prices below other places. I think business is not what it was -- certainly not a many guns on display as there was.

PICTURE Story

Are you sure you want to leave this warm dry place? Next tree pictures apply.

Dry roads ahead and skies beginning to clear up.

The skies were clear with "Eller" clouds after Academy Sports visit. We continued north thru Oliver Springs and then started the backroad routes. 

We were near Hwy 27 when I decided to stop and see if this road went back to Hwy 62. Thought it did when looking at GPS. This is gonna be a fun ride -- it was while it lasted, but dead ended.

Could see on the GPS that there was dead end ahead. Decided better turn back at this point as it looked like a place Jackie could make a U Turn with the Valk.  Not looking like a Valk Road ahead and we did not need another broken leg.  :groan

Back to Hwy 27 (new construction is making progress), to 328 (a good ride) to Oakdale (Hwy 328 & 299 intersection) -- Then some exploring we liked. Made a loop back to Hwy 299 a bit further west.

That be Oakdale --- visible as you make turn onto Hwy 299, nice church in distance.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Nov 9 - Loop to Oakdale / Harriman Area ("New" Roads in Area)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:51 am »
EXPLORE Roads started at Oakdale  with a couple loops - mainly back to Hwy 299.   :happypep

DGR (dang good roads) if I do say so.

Final loop took us back to Hwy 299 a bit further west of Oakdale. Then turned back to Hwy 328 to Harriman and headed home via I-40, Hwy 70, Northshore, and Pellissippi (usual stuff).

PICTURE Story

Like I said - backroads, some "NEW" ones.

Jackie stayed at top of hill behind me as we were concerned about this road (him on the VALK -- no more broke legs please). I rode down here and went back to Jackie to discuss - we decided to go another route.
Next time bring a good MC that will go. :-)

Rest of this turned out good despite not knowing the route. Actually, at a couple points I remembered being there before (scenery looked familiar).

Remember crossing this bridge some time ago. 

And, this country church definitely familiar -- but was going opposite direction last time.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:14:04 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Nov 9 - Loop to Oakdale / Harriman Area ("New" Roads in Area)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:08:05 am »
A few more backroads to Hwy 299, to Hwy 328 to Harriman, to I-40, to backroad to Hwy 70 and eventually Northshore to Pelissippi Parkway to home.

PICTURE Story

Roads became more scenic as we neared Hwy 299.

Like looking at (and riding) these sweeping "S" Curves.

Back on Hwy 299 heading to Jct with Hwy 328. Hwy 328 takes you to Harriman.

Neat old building in Harriman, I think.

We took I-40 from Harriman to Exit 356 -- then Ladd Rd to Hwy 70 east.

Did not take any pictures on Hwy 70 (everyone knows that is a good ride).  Next  picture was taken on Northshore as we crossed a bridge over part of the lake.

Pellissippi heading toward Maryville --- clouds to east make me think that good thing we went north
and west this AM.

A view from Sam Houston Rd going to Wildwood Rd.

Another view from Wildwood Rd (getting near home).

THAT's ALL FOLKS !!!!  Next time come along if you are a rider.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:21:49 am by PAULRIDES »