Author Topic: PAULRIDES Nov 16 - Wolf Creek Water Falls  (Read 271 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
PAULRIDES Nov 16 - Wolf Creek Water Falls
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:55 pm »
I have one "game" rider on E Mail list, Jackie, as matter of fact about the only regular rider on the list. Fortunately, he is "game" for an adventure. So, Jackie agreed to checkout Wolf Creek Falls.  :happyrider

I had been there a couple years ago. It's a bit of an adventure ride (not a hard trail mind you, just a gravel road for 20 miles RT). It is mostly a mild 'character' road for 16 miles and 4 miles has a 'bit more character'.

It caused Jackie to ask, "We going out the way we came in?". Answer, "Yep, cause the road is closed going on -- can't get to Shut-In road."

The last time I went there and was by myself I decided to not cross the creek on the MC as was a bit worried about a muddy layer over the concrete underwater bridge. Then, I had a hard time turning around (it is narrow and a bit steep at the creek). I was able to step on a few rocks and only got feet a bit wet to go to the falls as was low water level.   

This time we parked (50 yards away) and walked to the creek. Water was up a little and we found no rocks to step on. So, I waded across (it was only 4 to 6 inches deep and it is a concrete underwater bridge that has a layer of sand over it). I found out the advertised waterproof boots AIN'T waterproof. Not a big deal as only got bottom of feet wet (bottom of socks).  Jackie did not want to get wet feet and stayed behind.

We could have rode across the creek would have if I had it to do over. Then park on the other side of creek and let MC get wet and not us.  ::) Recommend walk the rest of the way to the falls (about 500 yards) because there are 3 mud puddles and the road is pretty rough (best for 4 wheels).

Probably be my last (was my second) trip to Wolf Creek Falls unless someone really wanted to go. Then I would ride the road as it is a bit of adventure and let you go to the falls. I don't reckon that will happen with this list of riders (most would rather Ride to Eat on main highways). HA! Matter of fact we did Ride to Eat Breakfast at "The Slab" to get energy to do the falls. 

Enough said, let PICTURES tell rest of the story. By the way, it's not a great waterfalls to see as can't easily get to the bottom of it. I did take a trail a couple hundred yards to the other side of a ravine and was able to get a picture thru the trees (not a good picture). Reckon could climb down the ravine, but it is very steep. So, I only went down about 10 feet.

Nice day, but we did see a coupe dark clouds after crossing the new bridge at Dandridge (Hwy 92 Bridge) -- also, saw a few, very few, "Eller Clouds". Hopefully, they will meet his approval as he is very particular about his clouds. 
Clouds ahead.  as we crossed new bridge on Hwy 92.

No clouds behind, just Jackie.

Always find a few country scenes in TN.

Surely, this will suit Eller, I call them "Eller Clouds".

An energy stop at about 10AM (Breakfast is OK here and pretty reasonable). Nice clean place. 

Really Really good pancakes (2 for $2), wish I would have ordered one cause with the eggs ($0.50 each) and grits ($0.75) it was more than I needed. I DID EAT IT -- see food and eat.

Heading south on Hwy 107 to Del Rio, TN (not TX) -- there is some nice country back there.

After passing thru Del Rio, you turn to go up Round Mtn Road (still shows as Hwy 107 on maps). At least getting to some character road with interest.  Leaves are mostly gone which gives better views and the sun was in the right location for most of the trip to Wolf Creek Falls (10 mile one way).   

Hopefully, give you an idea of the road surface (very good shape on the main road to Rattle Snake Gap - where we turned off) and the views, still some leaf color also. It was a dandy ride. 

This appears to be an uncompleted shed of some sort (large door openings on far side and back not completed. Beats me but there is a house on opposite side of the road (maybe was a business of some
sort at one time).

This is I suspect a weekend cabin a bit further up the road. 

Views are actually few and far between as trees are still in the way and you are generally pretty busy riding.
I did stop for a couple pictures but most were taken while moving. 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Nov 16 - Wolf Creek Water Falls
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »
Moving on to the turn (Rattlesnake Gap) for final leg to Wolf Creek Falls. Then the Falls Visit.

PICTURE Story

The road surface to Rattlesnake Gap was very good, best I have seen it, well packed in car tracks. If any you big bike guys ever want to ride it, now is the time. I would advise doing it on a dry day when road is dry as we did.

A bit of confusion on my part. It had been a couple years since I was up there and the GPS shows a route to the falls, so I had a point set at the falls. The GPS is not up to date as it shows a turn off at Round Mtn Campground (there is not one). So, I passed that turn (not there anyway) and then the GPS was taking up the Mtn to a U-Turn to get back to the "not there" turn off. Anyway, we came to Rattlesnake Gap Rd where I needed to turn and I stopped to think about it. But, decided to follow the GPS a bit further up the Mtn (say a mile or two). Finally, had sense enough to know I needed to go back to Rattlesnake gap.   

SO FAR YOUR INFO -- you can set the point for Wolf Creek falls in your GPS and you will eventually end up at that point. HOWEVER, go to Rattlesnake Gap and turn on it (you can only turn one way). Then the GPS will show you Out In Space half the time and also show the road route to Wolf Creek Falls as a purple line off in the distance (SOMETIME SEE IT). You will see it ahead, or cross it, or not see it, but you will eventually get on it and end up at a sign for Wolf Creek Falls. One thing to remember is; when you come to intersections (cross roads as yo go up the Mtn -- just keep straight ahead).  Do not make any turns off the road you are on (even at one point the GPS shows you crossing the road to the Waterfalls). 

So, now we are going up Rattlesnake gap (up and up). Then you also go down (down and down) to get to the creek bottom and falls. I was too busy riding to get many pictures (also the road was covered with leaves which sort of hides the surface underneath and required extra attention). Take it easy (actually things were in decent shape but had a few chug holes and rocks outcropped to avoid, and I did bottom the scooter on one rock. No damage.

We parked here and walked say 50 yards down to the creek. I would ride thru the creek and park on the other side to walk to the falls if I had it to do over. Thee is room to turn around on other side of the creek and you would not have to wade the creek. 

Jackie stayed behind at the creek underwater bridge as he did not want to get feet wet.

I would not want to ride to the falls (road gets rough and there are three mud holes) but a trail rider could.
Best to cross the creek on MC, get turned around and park, then walk to the falls (about 500 yards).

Panoramas did not turn out real good (cropping resulted in some blacked out areas) but you get the idea better from the panoramas than individual pictures.  I was as you can see at top of the falls.

This one shows very top of falls (stream coming to the falls on left) and very bottom on right lower edge of picture (a bit of white water).

This one is with camerae shifted a bit to right and shows the notch of water (that is in the middle right of above picture) on left side of this picture, then the bottom of falls (white water) toward right.  It is a pretty but rugged falls area. 

This individual picture gives a decent view. It also shows the notch of water on the left and bottom of falls.

DANG IT -- I apparently lost the picture taken  from the trail that leads to the other side of the ravine (there was one opening a good deal above the falls that had a view. Picture was not real good as sun was in wrong position (above he falls).  JUST SAYING - I would not say it is worth the effort to walk over there unless you are willing to climb down in the ravine (I was not).

OK -- The waterfall visit is over and Jackie is tired of waiting for me to come back "Saddle 'Em Up and Head 'Em Out".

The trip back up the Mtn and back down the Mtn to the main road (Hwy 107 - Round Mtn Rd) was a lot faster as we knew the road. (it is only about 4 miles from falls to the main road). 

Back on the Main Road (Hwy 107 - Round Mtn Rd).

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:41:59 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:19 pm »
Getting to the end of ride pictures. Last break at The Slab on the way home.

I will throw in THU EVE Activity -- Outing at Matt Cordell's Showplace Theater with Eric and Leslie (part of Eric's B-Day Celebration). Mainly want to recommend Matt's show -- he is a trip and a good entertainer (high energy). Rest of the cast is good also. THU EVE show was a Tribute Show -- have to check show schedules as he does another show Blast to the Past (we did that Oct 13).

PICTURE Story

Rest of the trip home - still more of Round Mtn Road (some views and Fall Colors.

The road from Del Rio back to Hwy 25w/70 has views either direction you travel it. Bar this time caught my eye. 

One last break (at The Slab) - Jackie found a BS'er.  :n21

Matt is a heck of an entertainer -- I recommend seeing his show ($12 Sevier County).

Betty asked if they included surrounding counties -- the lady said she would bring it up with Matt.
Lady sort of blurred the picture - glad she took two cause the first one was really blurred. 

Eric/Leslie & Betty/Paul at fireplace.

I thought my Heart was acting up, so I was patting it. She asked, "Do you have a heart condition?". I said, "No but I might if this keeps up.".  Turned out - it was just a normal reaction for an Old Man. :-)

Last act was a great Christmas song (attached movie- turn volume up as not much sound from my camera).

Eric and Matt are acquainted (music connection as Eric plays Base Guitar and has played with Matt). Matter of fact they will be playing together at Brewery in Gatlinburg FRI and SAT.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:55:07 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:01:13 pm »
Looks like a nice ride. I need to find a small displacement dual purpose bike.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »
I keep thinking something smaller than my CB500X for back country roads, but it is a good ride overall.