Author Topic: PAULRIDES Nov 29 - MeadowCreekTower (New Rd - Gravel) & Loops off Long Creek  (Read 274 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
I hate to call any ride the BEST cause there are so many good rides,  but I consider this to be a DGR (Dang Good Ride). I think was 153 miles RT house to house, left home a little before 8:30AM and home at 4PM for a little yard mowing chore. :pop 

Basically we did some loop roads off of Hwy 340 and Long Creek. I had programmed the GPS and that worked for the most part (had an error on my part in that I had two #6 points, one should have been point #7, so after 6, I selected 7 and ended up on a road not planned which TURNED OUT ONE OF THE BEST).

We got back on track and then there was not a road where GPS and GOOGLE said there was a road. So, that led us on a loop but did get to the next point and it might have been a better route anyway.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to do was find the gravel road from Long Creek up to Meadow Creek Fire Tower that I had been searching for before. I found it this trip with the help of some locals at The Slab breakfast stop that gave us directions.

We completed the loop roads then went back to the gravel road to the Firetower (about 9 miles of decent road that was  packed, bumpy in places, and I WOULD NOT DO IT IF WET as several areas had no gravel and would be slick I think). Besides the scenery on the loops, the adventure road made the rid one of the BEST (DGR).  :happyrider

I met Jackie at EXXON a bit before 8:30 AM (33F), he was in conversation with a guy inside, came out and we left. Temperatures colder than expected == we did get to 40F at Dandridge. Dropped back to 37 / 38F until after Newport and finally saw  42 to 43F before we got to The Slab (breakfast).

I had expected mid 40s from the start, so did not bring my Frogg Togg wind breaker (never do that again). GROAN  Actually, body temperature did OK but was chilled a bit after 30 MIN of the first Hour of riding.
Hands did OK in mittens even without the liners but could have used the liners. Jackie was OK except hands were cold as he did bring his heated gloves. 

Start with the Gravel Road to Meadow creek Firetower as that was a Main Objective if we found it ride-able.

The gents that told us where the road was also said it was rideable as he had been up there yesterday.
I will include our visit there and Gravel Road back to Hwy 107. About 13 miles total gravel. 

PICTURE Story.

The entrance to the road at Long Creek end is gated (closed during winter0. Too bad would be good place for snowmobile if there was snow.

Neither GOOGLE or GARMIN show the road from Long Creek, they both show the upper portion of it. So, you are in space until you reach the upper part. At this point the GPS was showing part of the route it wanted me to take (would have been back to long Creek, to Hwy 340, to Hwy 25w/70, to Hwy 107 and up the short way to the Firetower. 

A rest stop (ain't any bathrooms up there).

It's an interesting ride as I hope you can see.

Nice view at the top - one panorama from three pictures.

A couple ladies rode up on horseback.

The shortest route (it is about 3 miles of gravel) to the Firetower is from Hwy 107 and we returned to Hwy 107. when we left the tower area 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
The Ride before and after the Firetower visit.

It was a cold start and not well prepared for that --   33F start to 40F at Dandridge  to 37F along Hwy 25 to Newport to 42F east of Newport to THE SLAB (then warm up over coffee and breakfast). It was mid to high 40s after breakfast and a nice day.

PICTURE Story

Hwy 113  country scene early AM.

Hwy 25 south from Hwy 113 to Newport (new bridge is ahead).

THE SLAB --- Good to know - I am not only one takes pictures of food. My 2 Eggs with Biscuit/Gravy is $2.50 and $0.50 Coffee. Jackie has Ham/Egg Omelette (his favorite). Now if he can figure out how to work the camera, he can eat.   

A little short road (Old Long Creek) that cuts over to Hwy 340 from 25W. Short, good gravel and pretty thru there.

Hwy 340 north to pick up the first loop road.

Took a right off of Hwy 340 for the first loop (that loop got us off on an unplanned road, my mistake, that was new and a DGR). Then the rest is looping around from Hwy 340 to Long Creek (enough said - enjoy the scenery -- some nice I think).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:48:15 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Continue to the Gravel Rd to the Firetower and a few pictures coming home.

PICTURE Story

The warm up came pretty quick --- 33F early and here it is 59F at 11:09AM.  :21

OOPS another gravel section (estimate was 5 miles). Turned out after we got on it, I realized we had rode it some time ago, I think Jackie was on his VALK that time (not good). Actually, the surface is good, but it was steep and some curves present.

This GPS picture shows the road we have been over and the end of the gravel which is at the next picture of Jackie and the house behind him.

Then the Firetower trip shown in the first (1 of 3 E Mails) led us to Hwy 107 and a couple more pictures heading home. THAT's ALL FOLKS !!!!!  Hwy 107 here.

Hwy 70 Creekside Market (break).

Old Kentucky Rd to Hwy 349. This is the last picture.

THAT's ALL FOLKS !!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:56:27 am by PAULRIDES »