Author Topic: Yamaha NIKEN (2019 3 Wheeler - Not a Trike)  (Read 508 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Yamaha NIKEN (2019 3 Wheeler - Not a Trike)
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:05 am »
Saw an article in Southern Biker on the NIKEN.

Ugly as sin, but I betcha handles curves good. Front two wheels lean.

Maybe find something on Internet (GOOGLE Search).

YEP. lots on GOOGLE.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/niken

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/11/07/yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheel-motorcycle-usa-fast-facts/

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/look-at-yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheel-trike?dom=fb
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:38:51 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Yamaha NIKEN (2019 3 Wheeler - Not a Trike)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:20:21 am »
I think it's fascinating.  The Piaggio MP3 three wheeled scooter came out about 10 years ago and the twin front wheels turned out to offer much better traction and steering especially in low traction situations such as wet roads or gravel.  That's what Yamaha seems to be pursuing with the new Niken.  I can't wait to hear what the magazines testers find out when they ride it.

Till then, here's an article by Ron Lieback from the Ultimate Motorcycling website found at
: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/11/07/yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheel-motorcycle-usa-fast-facts/

Yamaha Niken Leaning Multi-Wheel Motorcycle to USA | 13 Fast Facts

By Ron Lieback -
November 7, 2017

Yamaha Niken Leaning Multi-Wheel Motorcycle First Look

Yamaha unveiled its Niken Leaning Multi-Wheel motorcycle during last month’s Tokyo Motor Show. Information was scarce, and Yamaha didn’t confirm if the three-wheel motorcycle that leans would arrive stateside.

This changed during EICMA Milan Motorcycle Show. Yamaha released additional details, though many of the specs have yet to be announced. We also know that the Niken three-wheeler will arrive stateside in the second half of 2018 as a 2019 model.

Following are the essential Fast Facts about the 2019 Yamaha Niken Leaning Multi-Wheel Motorcycle.

1. The 2019 Niken uses two front wheels that lean in unison. This is designed to double traction and stopping power while, Yamaha claims, maintaining a natural motorcycle steering feel. Maximum lean angle is 45 degrees.

2. The front uses two fork tubes for each 15-inch wheel. These double upside-down forks work in unison with an Ackermann dual-axle steering mechanism and cantilevered suspension system that’s mounted to the outside of the wheels. The front suspension is adjustable compression and rebound damping.

3.Compared to the MT-09 (formerly the FZ-09), the NIKEN rider sits nearly two inches rearward. This helps to provide a 50/50 front-rear weight distribution, which retains the natural motorcycle feeling.

4. The front end features a wheel track of 16.1 inches—width from the center of one tire to the other. This is to maintain a natural steering feel, while keeping the width to a minimum.

5. For optimal handling, the Niken uses a 21.7-inch aluminum swingarm a half-inch longer than the MT-09’s swingarm. Yamaha says the increased length helps to give a strong feeling of stability when cornering.

6. The crossplane engine is transplanted from the MT-09. The 847cc triple, also used in the new Tracer 900, produces 115 horsepower at 10,000 rpm.

7.Electronics are plentiful, and include adjustable throttle mapping, traction control, ABS, quickshifter, and cruise control.

8. The 2019 Yamaha Niken three-wheeler’s rear suspension features a fully adjustable single shock, including tool-free spring-preload adjustment.

9.Up front the Niken uses two 15-inch wheels donning 120/70 tires, and a 17-inch-wheel out back wrapped in a 190/55.

10. For stopping power, the Niken uses a 298mm disc on the outside of each front wheel. Out back the Niken uses a single 282mm disc.

11.The Niken uses dual LED headlights in a downward-curving aerodynamic cowl, along with LED turn signals.

12. The Niken arrives with an aluminum fuel tank similar to what is used on the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 sport bikes. The tank holds 4.8 gallons, which should give a range over 185 mpg.

13.The first 2019 Niken motorcycles should arrive stateside in the second half of 2018 in a Granite Gray color scheme. MSRP will be announced in the coming months.

2019 Yamaha Niken Specs:

Engine

Type: 847cc liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder; 12 valves
    Bore x Stroke: 78.0mm x 59.1mm
    Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
    Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper clutch
    Final Drive: Chain

Chassis

Front suspension: TBD
    Rear suspension: TBD
    Front tire: Dual 120/70R15
    Rear tire: 190/55R17
    Front brakes: Two 298mm discs
    Rear brake: 282mm disc
    ABS: Standard

Dimensions and Capacities

Wheelbase: TBD
    Track: 16.1 inches
    Rake (Caster): TBD
    Trail: TBD
    Seat Height: TBD
    Fuel Capacity: TBD
    Fuel Economy: TBD
    Wet Weight: TBD

2019 Yamaha Viken Colors/Price:

Granite Gray/ $TBD

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:31:26 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »
45 degree lean limit --- likely not a problem for me, but is that a problem for the "Knee Draggers" among you.

What happens after 45 degrees ? Front goes for a slide or what?

I betcha cost will be out of sight (whole extra front thingy (well in away, just an extra wheel). 

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »
45 degree lean limit --- likely not a problem for me, but is that a problem for the "Knee Draggers" among you.

What happens after 45 degrees ? Front goes for a slide or what?

I betcha cost will be out of sight (whole extra front thingy (well in away, just an extra wheel).

45 degrees is a lot of lean.

Here's a slide from a rider training course showing what an effective lean of 42 degrees looks like.  Note the bike is leaned at 37 degrees and the rider shifting his weight to the inside is causing an effective lean rate of 42 degrees.  It the mechanical limits of the bike are 45 degrees then he could lean another 7 degrees before getting to that limit.  Plenty enough lean for example to get your knee down.

But the question of what happens if you hit the mechanical limit of 45 degrees is an interesting one.  I'm pretty sure the mechanical limit is set by how far the two front tires can lean "in formation" before the linkages hit the limits of their travel.  So if you're on the deck, hanging off and leaning hard and you get to those limits...what happens next?  My guess would be that if you kept trying to lean farther you'd lift the outside front tire off the pavement and as that outside tire unloaded you'd lose it's cornering grip causing the inner tire to try to handle the whole cornering load.  I think the tire would break traction as the cornering load exceeded available grip.  Once the front end lost traction you'd crash, exactly the same as on a single tire bike that loses the front end in a turn.

But that's just a guess on how it would work.  I'll let some brave motorcycle journalist test the limit of the twin tire front end and report back to us for real world experience.

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:56:47 am »
That brings to mind a video On you tube where a journalist was trying the Piaggio and found the kickstand would scrape before the lean limit was found.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:51:48 am »
So if you're on the deck, hanging off and leaning hard and you get to those limits...what happens next?  My guess would be that if you kept trying to lean farther you'd lift the outside front tire off the pavement and as that outside tire unloaded you'd lose it's cornering grip causing the inner tire to try to handle the whole cornering load.  I think the tire would break traction as the cornering load exceeded available grip.  Once the front end lost traction you'd crash, exactly the same as on a single tire bike that loses the front end in a turn.
End Quote

Chris, I think a good guess.

I will not have to worry about 45 degrees and apparently neither will 99.9% of riders.  :happypep :happyrider :pop