Author Topic: PAULRIDES Dec 7 - Lunch La Bamba, Big Ridge SP, Washburn, Veteran Overlook  (Read 229 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Turned out 150 miles for me (house to house). Started with meetup with Jackie at La Bamba for lunch. It's a sort of unique Mexican Menu from the Mexican Coast. I would say very good in some respects and different enough that I would prefer a bit more TEX / Mex mixed in there.

Clarify with some INFO on La Bamba -- Betty and I ate there on a 2 for 1 (one meal split was enough so we took most of the other home) . We had a chimichanga  (chicken) and liked that, but the sides were vegetables served cold (custom in that part of Mexico is to steam veggies, then keep in cooler and serve cool - not my cup of tea). There was a small salad on the plate also (it was OK)

They have quit serving cold vegetables now (despite the custom of that region) and served Jackie Rice and Beans (not the Tex/Mex type that I prefer) with his chimichanga (beef). Jackie thought the beef chimichanga was best he has had. $11.99 meal (I hhad a $2 coupon for him).

I had two chicken tacos (chicken), a special at $1 each on THU and FRI per the sign on window (coupon implies everyday). They were good but also different (served open face on about a 4 inch diameter tortilla). I added the sauce from the bottle (see below).

They don't use the traditional salsa (Tex/Mex) but have a spicy sauce in a bottle you can add to food (I did). They served a bowl of Chips (like a Tex/Mex would) but the dip was a mixture of shrimp and veggies (good) and better when we added some sauce from the bottle.

Betty and I went some months ago on a 2 for 1 Chimichanga (chicken) and att aht time they were serving vegetable sides (cold). Tradition in that region is steam veggies and store in cooler and serve cold. They have since done away with the cold veggies. Also, one meal was enough for two and we took most of the second meal home.

A few more bits of INFO:
Quite a large place (see pictures).
Opened at 11AM when we arrived, we were only customers there until we left about noon.
Jackie and waitress had quite a discussion about mexico regions and food differences.
Menu is unusual with a lot of seafood dishes -- remember from coastal mexico, want some Octopus?
Most items are served with seafood, chicken, or beef as main ingredient choices.
They have a stage and a band (Mariachi) with a dance floor available (some nights). I would like to go when they are there.
All brands of Mexican beer and a couple pool tables.

All That Said, I would recommend try it at least once - might like it. I would go again (split a chimichanga with Betty).

THE RIDE:
Then we rode north thru Knoxville to Merchants, mostly back road after exiting I-75 to Big Ridge SP area, then hwy 170 to Hwy 33 and Hwy 61 to tater Valley, thru Washburn, Hwy 131 to 25E to 11w to 92 to home. Had a mixture of back roads and main roads.

PICTURE Story

It was 43F about time I met Jackie - saw mostly 48F as high and that for most of the ride. La Bamba Seafood - NOTE: Seafood (but have chicken or beef as main item in things they serve).  Stage on the right - I think the area behind the half walls (tables) becomes a dance floor. Don't know? 

Knoxville south of the river is growing. Hope those places don't catch on fire (wood and more wood). I would think would be some metal framing in all that. 

Took picture over the shoulder as we crossed bridge -looking back south to the east. 

OK, enough of that foolish downtown stuff -- let's hit the roads (my kind of roads).

Finally on Hwy 170.

Turned off Hwy 170 for some good roads. :-)

Beginning to look interesting - like a Paul Road.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Dec 7 - Lunch La Bamba, Big Ridge SP, Washburn, Veteran Overlook
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:28 am »
Moving on to the switchback On Mt Olive Rd (shown in last post). Then moving on to Big Ridge State Park where we took a loop thru the park, out the back way, and a ridge ride back to Hwy 61 for a short run to Hwy 170.

PICTURE Story - Let it speak for itself, ended on Hwy 170 going to Hwy 33 to Hwy 61 to Tater Valley road.

I will add one comment to clarify the route -- before reaching Hwy 33, we took Old Hwy 33 (GPS shows Maynardsville Hwy picture as a destination when we were on Old Hwy 33). Old Hwy 33 is a good ride and has been resurfaced.   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:49:25 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: PAULRIDES Dec 7 - Lunch La Bamba, Big Ridge SP, Washburn, Veteran Overlook
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:59:23 am »
PICTURE Story

So, Tater Valley Rd turn (GPS picture repeat) to Tater Valley Store.

No coffee on this warm up stop, but a good BS Session with owner. Always wanted to stop in this store, but was usually on the way to Petticoat Jct for Sunday Breakfast (no longer a Petticoat Jct and this store does not serve breakfast - sad).

Took a shortcut over to Washburn then Hwy 131 to Hwy 25E.

Passed over Veterans Overlook (no stop) and decided to skip Hwy 375 (shown on a GPS picture as a destination). Instead took Hwy 11w to Rutledge and headed south on Hwy 92 (also a  good ride).