Author Topic: Long ride  (Read 554 times)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Long ride
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:35:35 am »
Haven't been on here for a while.  Just thought I would check in. Went for a 10 day trip last October. Traveled through Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.  This photo was taken at the Iron Mountain CMA rally in western Arkansas.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Long ride
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:02:34 am »
Sounds like a fun ride.I hope to do something like that one day.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:27:34 am »
I didn't do much of this before I retired. Hoping you get your turn some day.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:59 am »
I learned one thing from your trip photo ---  you can pack a lot of stuff on a Motor Cycle and still get on it to RIDE.
 :happypep :happyrider
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:41:03 am »
Yes you can. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad. clothes and tools.

:36
Semper Fi

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:48:04 am »
Haven't been on here for a while.  Just thought I would check in. Went for a 10 day trip last October. Traveled through Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.  This photo was taken at the Iron Mountain CMA rally in western Arkansas.

Sarge, that sounds like a great trip!  Thanks for sharing the photo.  There must be some others?  :)  I'd love to hear more about the trip.

I learned one thing from your trip photo ---  you can pack a lot of stuff on a Motor Cycle and still get on it to RIDE.
 :happypep :happyrider

I agree with Darrell, yes, you can carry a lot of stuff.  Camping gear is fairly bulky (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) and I didn't take a sleeping pad with me to use at the campground at the Isle of Man and found out the ground is harder than I remember from 30 years ago.  I should have got a cheap one and then left it behind when I left for Ireland.

Packing bikes is an art form.  Unfortunately, it's an art I'm only semi-competent at!   Here's a shot of my Bandit in full pack mule mode at Spangdahlem airbase in Germany during my 2016 trip to the Island.  It was a two week tour through Germany, Belgium, England, the Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, and back across Germany to home.  Fun trip and I made it home just in time to pack to come back to the US.

And here is the Bandit later that day about 300 feet under the surface of the English Channel on the train going through the Chunnel headed to the Folkestone terminal and RAF Lakenheath airbase in Suffolk where I had a room booked.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:16:37 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »
There were other photos. Unfortunately the only other one that I can find at the moment is Jim and I at breakfast in Tyler,  Texas. It was a great trip. First night in Memphis, second night in Baton Rouge and on the third day, on of the bikes caught fire when we stopped for a break.  Brand new Kawasaki bought at Mountain Motorsports. It was towed to Lafayette, Louisiana for warranty repairs. That rider and his father stayed in Lafayette.  Jim and I continued to Beaumont,  Texas for the night and on to Tyler, Texas the next day. I have a daughter there that we visited with. We had also rode there together the previous year, 2016, to see her graduation from nursing school. We then proceeded to Iron Mountain CMA rally in western Arkansas between Mena and Hatfield.  Beautiful country.  CMA is Christian Motorcyclists Association. Been riding with them for about 3 years now. We camped there and stayed in motels the previous nights. It was a wonderful time with great speakers from all over the world. We will probably plan for a chase truck next October so that everyone makes it to the CMA rally. We are planning a benefit ride for Empower Cocke County on March 24. I will post it when I get more information. Great reconnecting wit you guys.
Semper Fi

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »
When Jim and I rode to Texas in 2016, we took the Natchez Trace Parkway fom Nashville to Natchez. Mississippi. Great ride. 442 miles of no stop signs or lights, no billboards and no commercial traffic.  If you guys get the opportunity,  I  highly recommend this ride.
Semper Fi

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:22:16 pm »
Me camping at Iron Mountain. Rediscovered my love for camping and got a bigger tent for Christmas.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
I'm more into that second tent too.Sounds like it was a fun trip.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 10:26:20 pm »
Memories.  :happypep

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »
Second tent has more room and I can stand up in it. We are planning for a chase truck next October so I will probably even bring a cot this time.
Semper Fi

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:33 pm »
Why are some of the pics sideways. How can I fix that?
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »
Lay on your side to look at 'em.  >:D

Seriously, I don't know. Can't help.

I assume they are normal in your file?

I have had problems with that on occasion (not on this forum, but on E Mails and sometimes have converted sideways files to upright in my file and then call them up and they be sideways). 

When I get E Mails from folks (sent from Smartphones and pictures taken with smartphones - they are sometimes sideways).

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 07:00:45 am »
I don't have all the answers but for me if I hold the phone with the bottom in my right hand the pic is fine when its turned different the pic is.
Marc